Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    This is coming from a guy who charges $2 for people to look at bunch of butterfly pictures on their phone:
    http://hunter.pairsite.com/butterfly/index.html
    Thats hilarious! Maybe they are 3D butterflys with guns and large breasts fighting each other. They bleed when shot and vaporize from your screen after shot
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Umm, if you had clicked on that link, you would've known it doesn't involve big tits and guns and blood. It is a butterfly classifier app that you can refer to while walking outside. It can be pretty useful for the certain enthusiast/hobbyist/(professional?).

He has developed more than that: http://hunter.pairsite.com/ Some being 3D but most of them are not.

Butterfly
    Collection
    ($1.99)

Flow
    Fluid dynamics utility
    ($4.99)

gMeter
    Vehicle performance
    ($8.99)

greenMeter
    Vehicle efficiency
    ($5.99)

Kaleido
    OpenGL kaleidoscope
    ($2.99)

Mars Flyer
    ($3.99)

Mission 22
    Action game
    ($0.99)

ODAT Tracker
    Deal tracking app
    (Free)

StarBouncer
    Arcade game
    ($0.99)
    Although I do find it quite interesting about him:

Hunter Research and Technology is run by Dr. Craig Hunter, a practicing engineer with over 17 years experience in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, and software development. Craig specializes in fluid mechanics, aerodynamics, aeroacoustics, and computational fluid dynamics, and has taught college-level applied mathematics courses including Calculus, differential equations, and mathematics of flight. He has extensive experience in computer aided engineering, programming, and scientific computing on Mac OS X. Craig received the 2004 NASA Software of the Year Award and a 2004 Apple Design Award (Best Scientific Computing Solution on Mac OS X) for his contributions to the TetrUSS CFD software suite.
    It is a teeny tiny obvious that he's used to the Mac platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I think eventually they'll encourage native apps. I think they just want to control how the platform grows in the beginning.
    i believe so because in the appinfo.json file that's required for an app there is a setting that you can set to state whether the app is "web" or "native". so they've got a vision, just how far in the future it is, that's the question.
    When the iPhone came out it didn't even have APIs and everything was web apps. But now the same people who are in love with the iPhone want to say the Pre is a failure.
    Palm can always add more APIs, including the possibility of some kind of framebuffer wrapper in the future.

What would be great would be if they could provide some kind of SDL support, with enough OpenGL support for graphics, OpenAL support for audio, and more precise input when in full screen (For touch, movement sensors) and then people could write whatever crazy games they want.

But that is going to take some work, and this isn't really a phone focused around games. Its focused more around data access and integration with the network cloud or whatever buzzwords they use.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowGod View Post
    This guy is bitter because he was "pushed away by Palm", of course he's going to badmouth them. Read the article, it's about gaming on the Pre. webOS was never intended for graphic intensive gaming, even though the Pre hardware can support it. This isn't a surprise.

And Gizmodo is and always has been pro-iPhone, they post all the negative Pre stuff they can get.
    I couldn't agree with you more.

Sometimes I get so annoyed with Gizmodo for their iPhone rhetoric. I almost want to remove their bookmark!

A little off topic, but also annoying is the crap they use to fill space when they don't have anything worthwhile to post. For instance, this whole past week I had to read reviews of products and games from 1979. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with taking a look back at the electronics and gadgets that paved the way for all the great devices we have now, but come on, a whole week of it?

Engadget seemed to be able to blog through the week talking about things that were happening today.
    Isn't it funny how (Apple) a company that took a year to offer apps, and that has really itself just started offering games, has created this idea that everything on the Pre has to happen immediately.

Give Palm time to develop their platform. Just like apple has had the last three years to develop theirs. Personally, I look forward to watching things evolve.
    Last edited by philburkhardt; 07/18/2009 at 09:56 AM. Reason: forgot a word!
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Yes, it's amazing to me how impatient people seem to be. Look, I know I complain about what the Pre is missing, but I also know that some of that is the price of being an early adopter. I honestly believe that Palm has a plan here, and that a more robust app store, all sorts of fixes, and native apps will all be coming down the road (I just hope it's a short road!).
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    This is from the same website that said they're afraid their Pre may cut them. They're laughable at best
    Quote Originally Posted by philburkhardt View Post
    Isn't it funny how (Apple) a company that took a year to offer apps, and that has really itself just started offering games, has created this idea that everything on the Pre has to happen immediately.
    Can you please point to your source? When did Apple explicitly say that everything on the Pre has to happen immediately? In fact when has Apple talked about the features (or lack thereof) of the Pre???

It's ok to voice your opinions but presenting them as facts is plain wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    Can you please point to your source? When did Apple explicitly say that everything on the Pre has to happen immediately? In fact when has Apple talked about the features (or lack thereof) of the Pre???

I never stated Apple said anything. I said their users and now users of the pre (or Android, or whatever) expect everything to be available immediately. Instead of letting the platform develop over time, just like Apple's did.

Calm down, partner, I didn't mean to offend you or the almighty Apple.

P.s. I'm done defending myself on this. Flame wars are retarded.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    This is from the same website that said they're afraid their Pre may cut them. They're laughable at best
    I'm sorry? Cut them?
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post

You can't read, can you?
    Global Posts
    20,078 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philburkhardt View Post
    I never stated Apple said anything. I said their users and now users of the pre (or Android, or whatever) expect everything to be available immediately. Instead of letting the platform develop over time, just like Apple's did.

Calm down, partner, I didn't mean to offend you or the almighty Apple.

P.s. I'm done defending myself on this. Flame wars are retarded.
    Not a flame war, but I read it the same way he/she did... where in your statement did it say anything about users?
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
    Yes, there are games and there are games.
    I'm sure the Pre can handle Bejeweled, but Palm does not want to give you the access required for Doom.
    What about the Palm OS game Open Chess? Do you think that could be ported to run in native WebOS instead of via Classic? I'm not a programmer, but I would like to learn and I'm wondering if that is a feasible project to tackle since the chess code is open source and its a nice little game (much more powerful than the wimply chess games I've seen for Blackberry Storm.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    why people defend palm for limiting options is beyond me. Especially when the hardware is capable.
    This is more of your anti-Palm spin. Palm has not "limited" anything. No more than Apple "limited" anyone when they didn't initially release an SDK.

The initial SDK is a WebOS SDK. As such, it wouldn't have the low-level API's needed for the type of programming we're talking about.

What you're really complaining about is that Palm hasn't produced a Pre SDK (instead of a WebOS SDK) for the device that's been out for 6 weeks.
    The question I have is, just because Palm hasn't developed it's OpenGL driver yet, why is everyone assuming they just never will?
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    +1. Gizmodo is 50% snark/wit/sarcasm and 50% journalism/facts
    If you want facts read ARS TECHNICA
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvi View Post
    Not a flame war, but I read it the same way he/she did... where in your statement did it say anything about users?
    Ok, let me try this again.

Apple creates app store. Apple fills app store with apps, has by far the most successful app store on the market. 2 years later the palm pre debuts. 6 weeks after the pre debuts they release their first SDK, complaining that it is not as robust as Apple's ensues.

A person or entity doesn't have to say or even support something for it to become public view. I am commenting on what I see as a fairly common complaint.

I guess I could just say that people are impatient because of the current app craze, and they are only looking at how much Apple has to offer now. As opposed to where they started.

So to clarify, Apple didn't "say" anything. I'm talking cause and effect.
    [QUOTE=RolandStone;1759623]What about the Palm OS game Open Chess? Do you think that could be ported to run in native WebOS instead of via Classic?

As 'native' WebOS is JavaScript and Open Chess is written in C/C++, it cannot be ported. WebOS imho needs an interface to include C libraries.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast