Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    There are always two sides. I am also an iPhone developer who LOVES development on the Pre, and their SDK is wonderful for prototyping and developing apps quickly and easily. With the excpetion of games, the Pre SDK can do everything the iPhone's can, and more. The ability to run in the background is HUGE for any app if they choose to use it intelligently, something the iPhone could never do.

The only genre of app you wont be seeing on the Pre too much is 3D games. And to me, that is fine, considering most of the fun games i enjoyed on my iPhone were 2D anyway.

So yeah, the Pre SDK is a double-edged sword. What it does, it does amazingly well. Has many features the iPhone SDK should have, and allows developers to create their ideas fast, which is a very good component to have. You will see many more USEFUL apps for the Pre, and less fluff. If you plan on using your Pre as a handheld gaming device, return it. If you plan on using it to enhance your life through productivity apps, you'll LOVE it.
    I agree with you. And we won't be seeing 3D games just YET, it doesn't mean it's impossible that we won't see them in the future.

OpenGL is about the last thing I'd worry about right now if I were palm. There are so many more important things to flesh out. Getting worked up about a relatively fringe application that the phone is not really designed for is pretty silly, IMO.

The 4hz accelerometer access is a bit more disconcerting, but I don't think it's THAT big of a deal (at least at the moment), nor do I think it's something that can't be fixed down the road.

If you want a good handheld game console, get a PSP or a DS. If you want a good handheld camera, get a dedicated handheld camera. If you want a good mobile device to access the cloud and do useful things, you should want to get a Pre, and that's what Palm is focusing on, and rightfully so.
    why people defend palm for limiting options is beyond me. Especially when the hardware is capable.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    why people defend palm for limiting options is beyond me. Especially when the hardware is capable.
    It's not a "limiting options" issue. It's an implementation timeline issue.

The hardware that WebOS runs on is totally irrelevant. The framework itself hasn't gotten around to adding 3D to it's API. That's not to say that it won't be capable at some time in the future, but it just hasn't gotten to the top of the list just yet.

They have basic things to work on yet like allowing file access so that you can upload photos directly and whatnot. 3D gaming APIs for a fringe community isn't really at the top of the list, and rightfully so.

WebOS is different from the iPhone in that it is designed to run on a variety of hardware - some that may or may not have 3D capabilities. Allowing access directly to specific hardware without the layer of WebOS in the middle is a recipe for portability issues in the future.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    These guys don't get it in my opinion. They are so focused on 3d graphics with games that they are forgetting that the big games in smartphones will be network connected games. 3d graphics and accelerometer in car racing games are fine but they kill the battery life and request serious focus on the smartphone for a length of time. I picture myself playing games here and there while I'm doing laundry with people I know, like my cousins across the world. maybe we could play a multiplayer scrabble or chess game that can continue to run and notify us of the next move whenever it is made. There are a lot of opportunities for games in the Pre - you just have to think differently about the concept of games.

The iPhone doesn't have many network connected games.. I think that area is huge..

Quote Originally Posted by Dtom2444 View Post
    Palm WebOS Mojo SDK Sadly Impotent: Badass Games Are Impossible - Palm pre - Gizmodo

Wow...

Between this and the amazingly bad luck I've been having with my current Pre lately, not sure I want to keep it.
    Rishi O.
    I understand the hardware limitations part of the argument, but I hope they quickly in the next six months begin to allow deeper access for specific devices in the sdk. Games are important, but so are the liteny of non game graphics programs I might want, medical apps for imaging viewing for example. Palm knows that the largest industry in the US is not the kind to let technology pass it by, that's why eporates was a must hae, what the

Hae dang

My TU*W just stopped working while editing this on my pre, god I hope a reset fi.....

Gosh dang sun of a my w*yz is out too what the hell?

Ill report bak

Noooooo I need my ab*defghijklmnopqrstu*w*yz@,

Great just great

My u_w
    Last edited by anonymoustipster; 07/17/2009 at 11:51 PM.
    Well I'm back after a reset and crisis is averted

Hurray!

Palm do what you need to get everything running smoothly, please ill hold on open gl as long as my keyboard works
    Who buys a phone to play games on? At any rate.. the phone will have flash by the end of the year, and that should be a perfectly adequate platform upon which to build a decent mobile game.
    Quote Originally Posted by onionhammer View Post
    Who buys a phone to play games on? At any rate.. the phone will have flash by the end of the year, and that should be a perfectly adequate platform upon which to build a decent mobile game.
    12-15 year old boys would be my most likely guess. in which case its probably the parents. After that again young males to whom gaming is a large part of the equation. I'm 29 and it wasn't lonf ago that I would have taken this into consideration with my purchases
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    It's so funny how things have changed because I remember the previous discussion used to be about how you had to buy a pc over a mac if you wanted to play real games..

It's as if Palm is the new Apple, Apple is the new Microsoft, and Microsoft is the new IBM.
    Rishi O.
    Quote Originally Posted by rishio View Post
    It's so funny how things have changed because I remember the previous discussion used to be about how you had to buy a pc over a mac if you wanted to play real games..

It's as if Palm is the new Apple, Apple is the new Microsoft, and Microsoft is the new IBM.
    My thoughts exactly. Maybe they'll be humbled like Microsoft?
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Wait....why is this a shock to anyone?

We've known the SDK didn't have full access to some parts of the hardware for some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
    Yes, there are games and there are games.
    I'm sure the Pre can handle Bejeweled, but Palm does not want to give you the access required for Doom.
    Palm Pre runs Doom, smartphone-loving space marines rejoice

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Agreed. I prefer myself playing on my DS and PSP with the DS lasting me 5X longer than the Pre or iPhone will probably ever last.

I'm just hoping apps will come out well and quick enough for recognition of Palm's effort as a undying competitor.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Wait what about ZoTTD's playstation emulator?

It'd be cool if people were able to make new psx games that can be ported to his emulator.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Maybe I'm missing something here. Why would anyone want to play Doom - or any such game on their cellphone? I can understand Bejeweled - a simple touch-and-swipe game. But DOOM? A Keyboard meant for thumbs would really take the fun out of the game, at least for me (I really like circle-strafing).

Core functionaility is much more important to me. Ease of use is much more important to me. Enhanced productivity is much more important to me.

Basically what I am saying is that a developer that is looking ONLY to develop 3D games for phones is not paying attention to his potential consumer. Perhaps there are lots of people looking for 3D games for their iPhone (although most of the iPhone users that I know tend to prefer simple 2D games that involve touching the screen), but this is a different phone. Hence, there is a different demand. While fancy games would surely not be a turn off to the consumer, I'm really not sure it would have much of an impact in comparison to, say, an app to forward emails to a predefined group with ease, or an app that would allow information from a sms message to easily be placed into the calendar.
    Pre developer here, well into development on my first game (will post soon hopefully),

This guy is whining about two main points here - the Pre's lack of OpenGL acceleration and a weak accelerometer. While these are definitely limitations, I think it's a huge stretch to call it gimped or hopeless to develop games on. The lack of OpenGL mostly means the Pre can't have extremely detailed graphics and definitely no 3d environments, which to me is fine. IMO most 3d games for the iPhone arn't really worth it, mostly due to heavy limitations in controls. On the pre, usage of the HTML5 canvas element leads to easy drawn and rendered stages, and is pretty smooth so far. As for the accelerometer, definitely a big blow for anyone making games needing it. Hopefully Palm will update this or allow developers to up the frequency.

Palm's obviously adopted the stance that for webOS, productivity first, fun later. While the SDK lacks OpenGL, it is much more intuitive than the iPhone SDK - I've gotten more done with the leaked SDK in a week than I did with the iPhone's official SDK in a month! Just because the Pre can't handle rich 3d graphics and accelerometer-heavy games doesn't mean it won't have some awesome games. Just look at the Super Nintendo era and how many amazing games came out without needing sophisticated processing or control.

And don't forget, once Flash integration into webOS is complete, there will be legions of flash game programmers that will surely port / create games on the platform. Take that, iPhone
    All I know is if I can play halo on this thing before I can forward a text message something is wrong.

i rarely play games and even when I do only for about 10 minutes before I just don't care anymore. Give me a smart phone that helps me manage my life better and works seamlessly and has all the obvious functions...that is something I'll get excited about.
    If you want to play a game on a handheld device, buy an f'n Nintendo DS.
    If my past track record on phones holds true, I need a grand total of 1 game to be happy. I only really play games on my phone to kill time for small periods, such as waiting for a train, dentist's waiting room, etc. On my WinMo phone, solitaire did the trick for me, and I was content with that. I am sure simple games like this will be a no-brainer on the Mojo SDK.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gompers View Post
    It's not a "limiting options" issue. It's an implementation timeline issue.

The hardware that WebOS runs on is totally irrelevant. The framework itself hasn't gotten around to adding 3D to it's API. That's not to say that it won't be capable at some time in the future, but it just hasn't gotten to the top of the list just yet.

They have basic things to work on yet like allowing file access so that you can upload photos directly and whatnot. 3D gaming APIs for a fringe community isn't really at the top of the list, and rightfully so.

WebOS is different from the iPhone in that it is designed to run on a variety of hardware - some that may or may not have 3D capabilities. Allowing access directly to specific hardware without the layer of WebOS in the middle is a recipe for portability issues in the future.
    You make too much sense, people would just rather compare everything to apple and complain that Palm is dropping the ball
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast