Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Hey everyone, I'm a soon-to-be pre user. I love my blackberry curve but I'm getting a FREE pre from a friend that works at sprint . I wanted to ask some questions before I get my hands on the little phone on monday:

1. How "friendly" is the pre with mac computers?
    I have a macbook pro, which I carry around with me everyday for school/work. It was very annoying for me whenever I had to use boot camp or missing sync to sync my blackberry with my computer. I've read on here that rooting from a mac isn't a problem, but are there certain things that a PC could do with a pre that a MAC can't?

2. Battery Life?
    This is my biggest worry. I've heard that people have had problems with battery life. I've also heard that palm has done an OTA update to help alleviate the problem. How has the battery worked out for you since the update? Can you get through a day and a half from one charge?

3. Durability?
    Basically, do you think that the pre will hold up for the length of your contract? Should I keep my curve "just in case"?

4. Google Syncing Problems?
    When I got tired of syncing my blackberry via boot camp, I decided to go for the google option. Unfortunately, when I began to sync my curve with google calender and contacts.. my contacts and calender entries were duplicated 20 times!! It was a nightmare. Has anyone had any syncing problems using the pre?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions. I'm hoping my pre experience will be everything that I hope it will be.
    1-Its shows as an USB drive, so it should be Mac friendly.

2-battery life has gotten better, but ext batteries are now available to help alleviate this issue

3-Durability is still undetermined. I am on my original Pre since June 6th, but others have had issues. I have my 700p on tap just in case...but insurance after the 1yr manufactures warranty may be needed.

4-I have had minor issues, but others have. I dont recall any duplicative issues, though.
    1. I use XP, so I can't help you here. However, with Synergy you sync mostly with the cloud, so the operating system you're on shouldn't be too big of a problem. Can you use Mozilla's Thunderbird with Macs? If so, you can sync it with Gmail, which syncs on your phone.

2. Battery life has been pretty good for me, with the exception of the first couple of days. I have two EAS accounts set to push as they arrive, and I speak on the phone for an hour or two on my commute, text a bunch, browse the nets a bunch, and I can usually get through a full day pretty easily. A day and a half is probably not going to happen though, unless you don't use the phone much.

3. The Pre isn't as sturdy as my old Treos,but I think it'll make it through a full contract if you treat it as you should treat a nice electronic device. It takes falls better than I thought it would (I've dropped it a few times), and I haven't had any issues with my slider getting loose or my keyboard breaking down- at least not yet. Keeping your curve might not be a bad idea, "just in case."

4. I think people have had some issues with Google not always syncing, but a quick reset has taken care of most problems. I haven't experienced any issues, however. I also have not read or heard of any duplicate issues with Google syncing. Synergy is really one of the best features of the phone.

Good luck with your Pre!
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    1. I don't sync anything with my computer so i can't help you there. The USB drive mode should work with the Mac, since the Pre presents itself as a USB disk.
    2. It gets better over the first couple weeks of use. ully discharging and then recharging seems to help. It's unknown if this is the result of the battery itself improving or if it is merely the battery meter calibrating to more realistic levels as it learns how the battery works.
    3. As others have said, the phone is surprisingly durable. It handles drops well and is very resistant to scratches.
    4. Syncing contacts is amazingly smart. Aside from my wife and my sister in law having the same name and being merged into one linked contact, I had no problems whatsoever. Even that problem was easy to solve and split them into separate contacts.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I use a Mac so I can answer your first question. If you have the old iTunes that allowed you to sync your Pre, you can sync your calendar and contacts via iTunes. Google sync also works flawlessly if you have synced your google calendar with your Pre and your Mac.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    It will be easy, as the others have mentioned. I think durability is the big issue. Personally I think it will be fine. Because it's new, many people are worried about their baby. Mine is not my baby, it's my pda/phone. I take care of it but I don't put it in a condom.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    thanks everyone for the timely responses! I'm pretty excited to test out the pre and see if it can make me give up my blackberry for good.

@kerriv So you can actually use iTunes as your contact+calender+music sync? I knew the music would sync, but the syncing of contacts and calender is a plus (even though I'll probably be syncing via cloud). I opted not to upgrade itunes.. I'm going to give the pre a shot.

I'm already getting the phone for free so I was thinking of getting the touchstone accessory. Does anyone know of any potential pitfalls of getting the touchstone charger? Is charging time slower? Is it just a gimmick product and should I just get an extra battery instead?
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    nevermind! i see another thread that talks about the touchstone/battery debate. ha
    Just a quick note to your question #1:

I use both a Mac and PC, you'll be fine. When you plug in your Pre to the Mac or PC, it'll ask you if you want to be in any 1 of 3 modes: "Media Sync" (to emulate an Ipod Nano pre-iTunes ver 8.2.1); "USB Mode" (to mount onto you Mac as an external storage device); or "Just Charge" (for charging-only mode).

Additionally, if you've ever plugged in an iPod Touch or iPhone to your Mac, it enables Mac AddressBook to sync with Google. Input your google account info, your AddressBook and Google Contacts and Pre will all stay in sync OTA.

I have not heard of a way to enable this feature in AddressBook without a Ipod Touch or iPhone. Perhaps someone else can shed some additional info in getting this to work otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I have not heard of a way to enable this feature in AddressBook without a Ipod Touch or iPhone. Perhaps someone else can shed some additional info in getting this to work otherwise.
    Address book>Preferences>Check "Synchronize with Google". Then click Google button and enter your Google account info.

To sync iCal, follow these steps:

Get Started with CalDAV - Google Calendar Help

I'm quite happy with the Mac syncing of the Pre using Google and MobileMe as well.
    Last edited by galavanter; 07/17/2009 at 02:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    Address book>Preferences>Check "Synchronize with Google".
    Do/did you have an iPod Touch or iPhone before?
    Do/did you have an iPod Touch or iPhone before?
    Yes I have a Touch. But (I think this is what you suggest) the Pre is recognized as a different "iPod", and I don't have anything checked under iTunes Contacts or Calendar syncing for the Pre. I only synced some music once with iTunes when I got it.

All the Pre's Contact and Calendar syncing with my Mac is OTA, using Google as the conduit, enabled by steps in my post above.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    The downsides to the Touchstone are cost and inability to use most body cases.
    Yes I have a Touch. But (I think this is what you suggest) the Pre is recognized as a different "iPod", and I don't have anything checked under iTunes Contacts or Calendar syncing for the Pre. I only synced some music once with iTunes when I got it.

All the Pre's Contact and Calendar syncing with my Mac is OTA, using Google as the conduit, enabled by steps in my post above.
    No...not quite what I was trying to say.

There is no sync w/ Google option by default in AddressBook. You get that option installed if you've hooked-up an iPod Touch or iPhone to your Mac. Somewhere, somehow this added functionality gets installed and turned-on with these devices only.

My wife has niether devices and DOES NOT have a Sync with Google option in AB...conversely, I have a 1st gen iPod Touch and have the option.
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 07/17/2009 at 04:12 PM.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    @MilenkoD you're right. I don't have that option. A friend of mine has an ipod touch that I could use though.. so I guess I can turn it on when it comes time to.

@02589 The cost isn't really the issue considering that I'm already getting the pre for free. And if I'm not mistaken, the touchstone kit comes with a new matte back cover which is a lot more scratch resistant. So all I'd really need is some kind of protective cover for the front of the phone, right?
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Pretty much correct on the Touchstone. Just make sure you buy a Touchstone that is a full kit, which includes a cord and the back for the Pre. They do sell just the stone itself, as well as just the back by itself. Both of the later would obviously be cheaper.

I'm not sure who determined that the matte back doesn't scratch as easy. Probably a deduction that the piano black gloss is easier to detect defects in. I've read that some people put the clear shields on front and back, some only front.

It sounds like you're good to go!
    No...not quite what I was trying to say.
    You'll have to forgive my errant guess. Your question didn't say much...

Interesting. Who knew? I always thought my preferences were your preferences. I guess syncing the Pre with iTunes (prior to 8.2.1) doesn't create the google option in AB? Has your wife?
    You'll have to forgive my errant guess. Your question didn't say much...
    Forgiven...
    ..... I guess syncing the Pre with iTunes (prior to 8.2.1) doesn't create the google option in AB? Has your wife?
    No, syncing the Pre does not create it, but I did find a "hack" to make it work. Check out the LifeHacker article ..here..

It took me a few minutes to figure it out but I got it to work and the "Sync with Google" option now appears in her AB Preferences....wootwoot