Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just switched from iPhone to Pre to save $50/mo in rate plan. Trying to decide whether to keep it or not and have several issues.

One big pet peeve is that i can't push the center button to wake the phone up when it's in sleep mode. i have to push the key on the upper right hand side. Is there a way to change this? I've looked through all the settings but can't seem to figure it out. Am i missing something?
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    nope not missing anything, you can either do what you were doing or slide it open. For now thats the only way to wake it up....
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iphone2pre View Post
    Just switched from iPhone to Pre to save $50/mo in rate plan. Trying to decide whether to keep it or not and have several issues.

One big pet peeve is that i can't push the center button to wake the phone up when it's in sleep mode. i have to push the key on the upper right hand side. Is there a way to change this? I've looked through all the settings but can't seem to figure it out. Am i missing something?

Agreed!
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I would guess this was done on purpose. If you are the type (like me) that carries the phone in your pocket, then you would likely accidentally push the middle button on a regular basis and wake it and end up doing all kinds of things you didn't know you were doing while you thought it was safely tucked away in your pocket.
    no can do yet. Hopefully down the road, we will be able to map that button to open our favorite app or camera, etc.... right now it is just a button that lights up. I really don't use it at all. I usually just swipe up for anything I need.
    Also, if you already have the Pre's keyboard out, you can press the spacebar to wake it up.

I definitely think an option should be given to press the center button and slide to the left or right into the gesture area to wake up the Pre. That would cut down on accidental 'awakenings'.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    I wouldnt want to be able to wake up the phone by pressing the center key because when its in my pocket its easier to hit the center key than it is the power button, and then i would be making all kind of phone calls in my pocket.
    I guess it's really hard to press the power button on the top right of the device? Come on.
    If we could wake it up by pressing the center button then dragging up the little green ball (like we do at other times) that would be great...
    I use that key never. Used to use it all the time on the Ipod touch. You will survive.
    i felt the same way.. all it is, is a habit thing of yours. after 2 days i like this way better. b/c when you have it one hand, the button is in the natural pressure point of your fingers, and you can easily just tap it and see whats going on.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theChrisLake View Post
    I guess it's really hard to press the power button on the top right of the device? Come on.
    lol exactly
    Quote Originally Posted by atlanta View Post
    I wouldnt want to be able to wake up the phone by pressing the center key because when its in my pocket its easier to hit the center key than it is the power button, and then i would be making all kind of phone calls in my pocket.
    How? Your pocket would unlock it, find the contact and click their phone number? Don't forget what kind of screen this is as well.

I don't know if it's just mine, but my center button actually takes a decent amount of force to press.
    Jordan Mack
    webOS Chat
    also,, there is no need for the center button.. why even have it?
    Quote Originally Posted by atlanta View Post
    You still have to slide your finger up the screen on the Pre, and slide your finger to the side on the Iphone to get it to unlock. No real pocket danger in either case.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I agree because when I transitioned from the iPhone, that was a hard habit to break. I still have the device without the phone service, so it's sort of an iTouch with a camera and mic.

OTOH, once you get used to the Pre, you'll find yourself using the back gesture on your iPhone and it wont work. You'll wonder why Apple didn't put that on their phone. It is so counter intuitive to to but the back button on the top left.

Yep, there's a few habits that you'll have to break and new ideas that you'll have to learn. You'll be fine.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Agree! For the folks that think it shall wake up in their pocket don't enable it - but this would be a great feature. It is a real a pain to hit the top button or the space key.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I do wish the center button would wake up the phone so I could up-swipe/unlock the phone. If it happened to get pressed in my pocket (?)-- the risks don't offset the benefits for me. There should be an option for people like me because I think there are more of us than not.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    FYI: If the keyboard is open, ANY key will wake it up, not just the space bar.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oasis9389 View Post
    also,, there is no need for the center button.. why even have it?
    amen to that. it just gets in the way of my gestures!

but if it woke up the phone, i wouldn't mind the center button so much
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast