Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm almost not wanting to post this, as I just discovered it and don't especially want it stopped before I can really enjoy it. But I have to share this with the Pre community...

I have just discovered that my STOCK Pre (Not, I repeat, NOT ROOTED!) can TETHER WITH WINDOWS 7!!

I have a dual-boot Ubuntu / Win7 Lenovo T60 laptop and just for fun I decided to connect up to Bluetooth with it. Now, keep in mind that I usually just keep the Bluetooth turned off as I don't use a headset and I don't want to waste battery on Bluetooth when I'm not using it. But I was bored and wanted to see what I could do via Bluetooth with Win 7 (Ubuntu would connect, but not much else that I could see.)

So I fired up the Bluetooth, the Pre made itself discoverable, and I hooked up to it with Win 7. Well, Win7 IMMEDIATELY set up a network connection and asked me what kind of network (home, work or public) I was connecting to. I selected "Public" and then disabled my laptop Wifi connection. My Ethernet was not attached. I could immediately get online and surf around at HIGH SPEED. In fact, I am posting this from my tethered laptop right now!

Now, the only trick is that my Pre is connected to my work Wifi. (I JUST realized this as I was typing.) So It's possible I'm going out via wifi. However the fact that network tethering of any kind is possible in Win7 is still a HUGE plus.

I'm going to post this, disable the Pre wifi, and then see if I can still connect. I'll post with results in a moment.
  2.    #2  
    Awww Crap.

Nope, it WAS going out via wifi, not evdo.

I disabled the wifi, and then refreshed the page. I got an Auth error on the Pre telling me that "Internet connection sharing is not enabled on this device. Contact Sprint for assistance."

Dang.

Sorry to get everyone's hopes up.

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    kthxbye
    Yeah that happens. As soon as you turn wifi off on the Pre you will get the error message and you won't have internets. I did the same thing and got all excited till I realized what was happening.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Just keep on eye out in the Homebrew Apps section of the forums. There's an app there that works great for this. The developer is working on a no-root installer as we speak.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    What a waste of a read
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaS27 View Post
    What a waste of a read
    I dunno it was kind of fun for me
    Lol
    What a waste of a read
    Quote Originally Posted by zna03 View Post
    kthxbye
    Lighten up, guys. He was trying to share something he thought he found and corrected it quickly. Give him a break - he's trying to contribute unlike you two.
    What a waste of a read
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ||||||||||||||||||||
    ||||||||||||||||||||
    ||||||||||||||||||||

This was more of a waste.
    To the OP, it is all good, I think we have all had one of those "faux-Aha!" moments and we get caught up in the excitement.
    kthxbye
    I lol'ed
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymoustipster View Post
    I dunno it was kind of fun for me
    me too.

first I was like
    then
    then I was like
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zelet View Post
    Lighten up, guys. He was trying to share something he thought he found and corrected it quickly. Give him a break - he's trying to contribute unlike you two.
    I am being light. Not like I said "TO BAD YOUR A FRIKIN MORON AND DIDN'T TEST YOUR "GREAT FIND" BEFORE GETTING ALL GIDDY LIKE A LITTLE GIRL AND POSTING ABOUT IT"

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I am being light. Not like I said "TO BAD YOUR A FRIKIN MORON AND DIDN'T TEST YOUR "GREAT FIND" BEFORE GETTING ALL GIDDY LIKE A LITTLE GIRL AND POSTING ABOUT IT"

OUCH!!!
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Well, it technically is tethering.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    all aboard the failboat
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    To all the negative nancys, get a life...
    This is a place for us all to learn and share.
    Have fun explore and pass it on.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyv69 View Post
    To all the negative nancys, get a life...
    This is a place for us all to learn and share.
    Have fun explore and pass it on.
    That would have been awesome if it really worked. I could stop paying 60 bucks a month for my air card.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast