Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 70
  1. #41  
    im exchanging my second one today.. 1 one had a bad oreo twist.. and this one has 2 dead pixels, starting to oreo again.. hope the 3rd times a charm
  2. dabulls's Avatar
    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #42  
    I had a little wobble on mine, nothing compared to the videos you see. A couple of days ago I was holding my phone and it slips out of my hand and i'm fumbling to get it and I end up volleying it into the air where it ultimately crashes on the floor. Had I not fumbled for it, it woulda saved 2 feet in dropping distance. ONLY after this impact did I have an "oreo" effect. This made me believe that the videos you see of "oreo" are from people who dropped their phones or really twisted the phone in a way that loosened it and broke it. The rest of the people who think you have oreo you do not, the phone wobbles cuz its 2 pieces and ur being way too OCD about it.

    As far as dead or stuck pixels...I have 1 that I can only see when I see the palm launch screen. I've read people returning phones based on the launch screen. That's OCD. you can't see the dead pixels 99% of the time and the pixels are soooo small they are like the size of a....PIXEL.

    So I think alot of people who return their phones alot are really just paranoid from this forum and are overly obsessed with their phone. I am one of them.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by dabulls View Post
    I had a little wobble on mine, nothing compared to the videos you see. A couple of days ago I was holding my phone and it slips out of my hand and i'm fumbling to get it and I end up volleying it into the air where it ultimately crashes on the floor. Had I not fumbled for it, it woulda saved 2 feet in dropping distance. ONLY after this impact did I have an "oreo" effect. This made me believe that the videos you see of "oreo" are from people who dropped their phones or really twisted the phone in a way that loosened it and broke it. The rest of the people who think you have oreo you do not, the phone wobbles cuz its 2 pieces and ur being way too OCD about it.

    As far as dead or stuck pixels...I have 1 that I can only see when I see the palm launch screen. I've read people returning phones based on the launch screen. That's OCD. you can't see the dead pixels 99% of the time and the pixels are soooo small they are like the size of a....PIXEL.

    So I think alot of people who return their phones alot are really just paranoid from this forum and are overly obsessed with their phone. I am one of them.
    Well said. If you really need to replace your phone, try waiting a while. It's manufacture defects, so Sprint has to replace it for free. Just give Palm some time to work the manufacturing process out.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
  4. #44  
    Can someone explain what an oreo is?
  5. bnord1's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    #45  
    I bought mine June 26 and I consider it to be perfect. No pixel or screen problems. After reading this board I was concerned about oreo because mine has just a slight wobble. But as others have pointed out, it's a two-piece phone and won't be as solid as a one-piece phone. When I pull out the slider, I can hold either end and shake it lightly, and it feels solid with no movement. To me, that means it's not a problem. This is actually my first smartphone so I have nothing to compare it to, but to me it rocks!
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    Got a pre yesterday. A single dead pixel and minor oreo. However- the battery seems to be great and everything else works well.

    How likely am I to get a pre with no stuck pixels and no oreo on an exchange?
    Do you have the perfect wife and kids? Or the perfect parents? I don't, but I'm happy to have them around me and always available when I need them. I still have the same Palm Pre I bought on release date and while is not 100% perfect I love it.
  7. #47  
    My first pre had an issue where it shut off everytime i used the slider and a bad orea twisting effect and it had 3 dead pixels.

    My second pre, same thing, but no dead pixels.

    Now I just got my 3rd pre tonight and it has 29 dead pixels. They are white dots littered everywhere on a black screen. took me a while to get the count right. I also have 7 stuck pixels, which are green on a white screen. so total of 36 bad pixels. best buy refuses to do another exchange. I dont even want this phone anymore, it is the biggest heap of crap i have ever owned.

    I dont know what to do now.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by thedavephan View Post
    My first pre had an issue where it shut off everytime i used the slider and a bad orea twisting effect and it had 3 dead pixels.

    My second pre, same thing, but no dead pixels.

    Now I just got my 3rd pre tonight and it has 29 dead pixels. They are white dots littered everywhere on a black screen. took me a while to get the count right. I also have 7 stuck pixels, which are green on a white screen. so total of 36 bad pixels. best buy refuses to do another exchange. I dont even want this phone anymore, it is the biggest heap of crap i have ever owned.

    I dont know what to do now.
    Return it? If I had a product that was as bad for me as you claim your pre has been for you, I'd return it and be done with it.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by thedavephan View Post
    My first pre had an issue where it shut off everytime i used the slider and a bad orea twisting effect and it had 3 dead pixels.

    My second pre, same thing, but no dead pixels.

    Now I just got my 3rd pre tonight and it has 29 dead pixels. They are white dots littered everywhere on a black screen. took me a while to get the count right. I also have 7 stuck pixels, which are green on a white screen. so total of 36 bad pixels. best buy refuses to do another exchange. I dont even want this phone anymore, it is the biggest heap of crap i have ever owned.

    I dont know what to do now.
    That stinks so bad! I feel really bad for you! (I'm not being sarcastic)

    Mine has been in almost perfect condition since I got it at launch. I have about a mm of give in the slider when closed... Which I wouldn't even consider a defect. I also have a slight blotch on the bottom left of the screen.

    Dead pixels would make me take my Pre back. I don't think I could handle it.

    One thing... Are you sure those dead pixels aren't part of the screen matrix? Do they have symetry to them?
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
  10. #50  
    no, I know what your talking about, if you tilt the phone at an angle you can see the little dots that make up the screen matrix. but these are just bright dots on a black background when looking at it straight agead, no order to them.

    Best buy refuses to let me return it or exchange it, I guess i could fight it but im not that confrontatial. I honestly cant really see them unless i am on a black screen, so i guess I could just change my background to something different. but even on the light colors I have green dots too.

    So far this phone has no issues other than the dead pixels. Im afraid if I called palm and got them to send me another, I would get a crappier one. I can handle 3 or 4 dead pixels. but I literally have almost 30 on the black screen. it is completely ridiculous
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by thedavephan View Post
    no, I know what your talking about, if you tilt the phone at an angle you can see the little dots that make up the screen matrix. but these are just bright dots on a black background when looking at it straight agead, no order to them.

    Best buy refuses to let me return it or exchange it, I guess i could fight it but im not that confrontatial. I honestly cant really see them unless i am on a black screen, so i guess I could just change my background to something different. but even on the light colors I have green dots too.

    So far this phone has no issues other than the dead pixels. Im afraid if I called palm and got them to send me another, I would get a crappier one. I can handle 3 or 4 dead pixels. but I literally have almost 30 on the black screen. it is completely ridiculous
    Like you, the Goat tries to avoid being confrontational also. That is just too ridiculous to ignore though. You should call Palm and explain to them your horrible situation. 1mm of give in your slider is one thing, I even have slight light leakage that I can deal with. I COULD NOT handle that many dead pixels though.

    That's just not fair.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
  12. #52  
    Possible to take a pic of the screen and post here? Would like to see what these look like and no doubt get peoples attention by showing pic. would definitely get Palms attention.

    Quote Originally Posted by thedavephan View Post
    no, I know what your talking about, if you tilt the phone at an angle you can see the little dots that make up the screen matrix. but these are just bright dots on a black background when looking at it straight agead, no order to them.

    Best buy refuses to let me return it or exchange it, I guess i could fight it but im not that confrontatial. I honestly cant really see them unless i am on a black screen, so i guess I could just change my background to something different. but even on the light colors I have green dots too.

    So far this phone has no issues other than the dead pixels. Im afraid if I called palm and got them to send me another, I would get a crappier one. I can handle 3 or 4 dead pixels. but I literally have almost 30 on the black screen. it is completely ridiculous
  13. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    That stinks so bad! I feel really bad for you! (I'm not being sarcastic)

    Mine has been in almost perfect condition since I got it at launch. I have about a mm of give in the slider when closed... Which I wouldn't even consider a defect. I also have a slight blotch on the bottom left of the screen.

    Dead pixels would make me take my Pre back. I don't think I could handle it.

    One thing... Are you sure those dead pixels aren't part of the screen matrix? Do they have symetry to them?
    Goat,
    You disappeared.
    I am still on my first Pre. No issues so far.
    Absolutely Love It.
  14. jewel's Avatar
    Posts
    638 Posts
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    #54  
    Steps to get a perfect Pre

    1. Throw away your old smartphone.
    2. Go to your nearest corporate Sprint store.
    3. Grab a representative and tell him/her that you want a Palm Pre.
    4. Representative will facilitate the process.
    5. Swipe a card or give your cash out.
    6. Go home with a perfect Pre.

    I did this on launch day.
  15. #55  
    Dropped twice, slight chip on top right corner, some oreo -- still perfect!
  16. #56  
    Could someone define "oreo" for me? I am getting my pre this week so it's not obvious to me what this term means...

    Also, how many times will sprint let you exchange pres until you get one that you deem "perfect"? Is it unlimited?
  17. #57  
    Mine and my colleague's new Pre's are both solid with no pixel issues.

    I wonder if the way people hold the phone has something to do with the Oreo effect (where the two halves of the slider rotate as one would open an Oreo Cookie, TWIshikawa.) I notice that if I hold it one handed with the slider open, I tend to put my thumb on the top left (my left hand) and grip the bottom firmly with my fingers. If I grip it a little too tightly, I'm putting rotational pressure on the slider. In fact, I'm pretty sure if I were a wealthy and hateful sort, I could snap the mechanism pretty easily. A little of this pressure every day is bound to add up to a loose slider.
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by acaplinger View Post
    Mine and my colleague's new Pre's are both solid with no pixel issues.

    I wonder if the way people hold the phone has something to do with the Oreo effect (where the two halves of the slider rotate as one would open an Oreo Cookie, TWIshikawa.) I notice that if I hold it one handed with the slider open, I tend to put my thumb on the top left (my left hand) and grip the bottom firmly with my fingers. If I grip it a little too tightly, I'm putting rotational pressure on the slider. In fact, I'm pretty sure if I were a wealthy and hateful sort, I could snap the mechanism pretty easily. A little of this pressure every day is bound to add up to a loose slider.
    If the phone can be damaged just because you're holding it wrong then there's something wrong with the phone not the user.
  19. #59  
    I'm perfectly happy with my one and only. Purchased 6/26.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    If the phone can be damaged just because you're holding it wrong then there's something wrong with the phone not the user.
    Well, I'll admit that the phone is probably more fragile than many, but you can't expect to manhandle a delicate piece of art in the same way you would a simple hunk of plastic. Everything is a trade-off: you want a collapsible, thin device that maximizes input surfaces in a tiny package, you're going to get a less-than-rugged device. I'm certain the Centro-esque Pixie will be much more rugged.

    Personally, I'm a little torn over the trade-off. I love the small size when the Pre is closed, but if I'm using it, it is almost always open.
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions