603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Huncher View Post
    * Video Recording
    * Copy/Paste Anything
    * Save Pictures From The Web
    * Forward Text Messaging
    * And More!

I doubt it. Sounds like you want an iPhone
    That's the problem with marketing and advertising. You will now think Apple pioneered these functions, when in fact even non-smart phones have had this capability for years...
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    So, this was posted on another forum by some random person that sounds like a teenager. Yea, I'd believe this when me ****** turns green and smells of rainbow sherbet.

No way all this gets added in the first release.
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    What I have seen so far of the next update seems to be geared towards enterprise users. If that is the case then I would expect some changes to the PIM apps as there are some glaring weaknesses that need to be addressed before any significant adoption by business folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    That's the problem with marketing and advertising. You will now think Apple pioneered these functions, when in fact even non-smart phones have had this capability for years...
    Ain't that the truth! You can get most of those features from the Centro. And, really, asking for each and every of those things is pretty reasonable and it is reasonable to expect that Palm will offer those features relatively soon. Not because the Iphone has those things, but because tons of others do and have for some time.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts

I am waiting like everyone else for more and better for the Pre. But regardless of who pioneered it, everyone wants it. Heck I want it. I just don't see everything given in one update.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    wow that would be sweet cant wait
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Did my post not just state that I realize there's a safety issue involved?
    You most certainly did! After the first Boston MBTA green line accident a year ago, I was very concerned about this very issue. No evidence was found that the driver was texting, but several riders had reported that she was. I suspect that she may have been reading texts or typing a message and never got to pressing "send" before the crash occurred. Officially in the NTSB report, they suggested she may have been at high risk for having undagnosed sleep apnea (where you stop breathing for a minute or so at time while sleeping). That accident was unfortunate and officially not attributed to diriver distraction, but if I can notice driver distraction and record and report it, I would hope that the powers that be might help the operator to overcome the issue. (I agree, I would not want to see the driver fired on the spot, but I would want to see their behavior monitored to see if they come into compliance.) Plain clothed observers from a 3rd party company, hired by the transit agency would do the trick.

In the case of the most recent MTBA accident, the driver had attempted to call his girlfriend (likely while stopped in a station). This was against MBTA policy, but at the time, it would not have resulted in immediate firing on it's own. When he couldn't reach his girlfriend, he proceeded to write and send a text message. He hit send before crashing. He had around 13 seconds and about 500 feet of visibility of the stopped train ahead of him, but his distraction caused him to put himself and other passengers at risk. He totaled 3 train cars, including one recently purchasedhandicapped-accessible car train car) and injured 50 people including himself. This is a case where the behavior he initially engaged in may have been innocent enough at first, but he then engaged in riskier follow-on behavior that caused a serious accident that could have been prevented.

Simply firing offenders is a bit like the death penalty. Some may see it as having a deterring effect, but drivers who are not deterred, and not only carry cell phones, but openly use them, in spite of having a "no-carry" policy on the MBTA really should be fired. (I don't agree with the no-carry policy, by the way, but it was the cheapest and most expedient way the MBTA had to reduce the accident risk.) Simply reporting a driver in Boston violating policty (without pictures or video) often results in nothing being done to correct the underlying problem.

Sorry that I perpetuated the off-topic-ness in this thread, but I wanted to communicate why people (at least in Boston) feel this is the only tool they have to increase their own safety.

--
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    You most certainly did! After the first Boston MBTA green line accident a year ago, I was very concerned about this very issue. No evidence was found that the driver was texting, but several riders had reported that she was. I suspect that she may have been reading texts or typing a message and never got to pressing "send" before the crash occurred. Officially in the NTSB report, they suggested she may have been at high risk for having undagnosed sleep apnea (where you stop breathing for a minute or so at time while sleeping). That accident was unfortunate and officially not attributed to diriver distraction, but if I can notice driver distraction and record and report it, I would hope that the powers that be might help the operator to overcome the issue. (I agree, I would not want to see the driver fired on the spot, but I would want to see their behavior monitored to see if they come into compliance.) Plain clothed observers from a 3rd party company, hired by the transit agency would do the trick.

In the case of the most recent MTBA accident, the driver had attempted to call his girlfriend (likely while stopped in a station). This was against MBTA policy, but at the time, it would not have resulted in immediate firing on it's own. When he couldn't reach his girlfriend, he proceeded to write and send a text message. He hit send before crashing. He had around 13 seconds and about 500 feet of visibility of the stopped train ahead of him, but his distraction caused him to put himself and other passengers at risk. He totaled 3 train cars, including one recently purchasedhandicapped-accessible car train car) and injured 50 people including himself. This is a case where the behavior he initially engaged in may have been innocent enough at first, but he then engaged in riskier follow-on behavior that caused a serious accident that could have been prevented.

Simply firing offenders is a bit like the death penalty. Some may see it as having a deterring effect, but drivers who are not deterred, and not only carry cell phones, but openly use them, in spite of having a "no-carry" policy on the MBTA really should be fired. (I don't agree with the no-carry policy, by the way, but it was the cheapest and most expedient way the MBTA had to reduce the accident risk.) Simply reporting a driver in Boston violating policty (without pictures or video) often results in nothing being done to correct the underlying problem.

Sorry that I perpetuated the off-topic-ness in this thread, but I wanted to communicate why people (at least in Boston) feel this is the only tool they have to increase their own safety.

--
    Bob

I don't disagree with the policy. I'm just not willing to be the one to get someone fired. I used to live in Boston and still live less than an hour away. I've ridden the T many times. If I witnessed this I would sooner get off of the train at the next station than get someone fired. Just my feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Ain't that the truth! You can get most of those features from the Centro. And, really, asking for each and every of those things is pretty reasonable and it is reasonable to expect that Palm will offer those features relatively soon. Not because the Iphone has those things, but because tons of others do and have for some time.
    I had all those things since the Treo600. IMO, Palm (Handspring actually) revolutionized the smartphone and Apple just advertised it.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    RonLongo: I didn't realize you were in the area. If you'd like to connect via linkedin, or just exhange a few emails, feel free to PM me.

--
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    I had all those things since the Treo600. IMO, Palm (Handspring actually) revolutionized the smartphone and Apple just advertised it.
    Every Smartphone is a VisorPhone Clone.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Every Smartphone is a VisorPhone Clone.
    Didn't the Qualcomm pdQ come out the same time as the VisorPhone?

It actually came out before the VisorPhone:

The Engadget Guide to How Palm Became Palm Again

September 1998 - Palm licenses the Palm OS to Handspring.

June 1999 - Qualcomm introduces the pdQ (pictured at right), the first Palm-powered cellphone. It disappears pretty damn quick.

September 1999 - 3Com announces that they're spinning Palm Computing off into its own separate company.

September 14, 1999 - Handspring introduces its first handheld, the Handspring Visor Solo.
    Last edited by deesugar; 07/17/2009 at 04:54 PM.
    0% chance of this thread being true...ok, .000000001% chance. No, it will be a business oriented update alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    I ride the DC Metro every day. I've seen people taking pictures of employees and the employees don't like it. I've personally heard employees threaten customers with phone confiscation.

Funny thing is, witnessing this is one of the reason I switch from a camera-less Blackberry 8830 to the Pre. Not that I want my phone confiscated, but it reminded me that there are times where a camera can make a difference.
    Haha...I'd like to see someone try to confiscate my phone. Not even a cop could do that let alone an employee of the Metro. Nice lawsuit if they tried and someone was hurt.
    need better battery life..
    Quote Originally Posted by technoviking View Post
    need better battery life..
    That was mentioned in one of the "update" threads as being addressed.
    When this major update finally arrives, PreCentral will crash.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    I actually believe these claims. I have this feeling Palm under new management is really taking into consideration the consumers needs. I won't rule out Palm having stealth members of this forum either....

If the vast majority of the consumers are asking for better battery life, and video cam then they almost have no choice but to oblige...
    Quote Originally Posted by dcigary View Post
    What the heck are you talking about? There's been no mention of the driver "texting while driving". The accident was blamed on human error - a track switch wasn't thrown when the operator claimed it had been done, and the monorail pilot who crashed into the motionless monorail was REVERSING and he couldn't see where he was going anyhow. Sheeez. This is how weird rumors get started, I guess.

Disney Monorail Accident Was Human Error, Report Says (FOX News)
    My bad.

It might have been the one in Washington DC. But I dont keep up with these stories. They report later that it wasnt an issue, but I heard earlier that the operator may have been using a phone.

Metro: Train operator not using cell phone - wtop.com
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    0% chance of this thread being true...ok, .000000001% chance. No, it will be a business oriented update alone.
    The reason i think this might be true actually is because of it being 1.1.0. The EAS updates alone would only be another "bug" fix that should have been working at launch. I think this large of an update are new "feature" not just fixing things that should have worked at launch. my .02
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast