Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Honestly, I would probably appreciate some speed improvements more than any of those things, at this point.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Video recording is a must have. There's multiple ways it could be useful. With the quality of the lens and camera itself, not having the ability to record makes it wasted. And believe it or not, having video recording is also a huge selling point.
    There is another thread claiming that the newly released SDK has webOS 1.1. Maybe we should scour that SDK for hints of whats to come.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/193191-webos-1-1-used-emulator-sdk.html
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Don't believe it anymore than the leaked sheet earlier.

Adding video will show people they're not a second Apple regarding updates though. Apple did it and all of the sudden it's normal to lack a video recording app in 2009? It's not that I use it every day, but a smartphone without video is like a swiss knife without a file.. or.. whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Cell phone video has gotten a couple of DC Metro (subway) drivers suspended, when passengers recorded them texting and sleeping while driving the trains. The publicity forced Metro to adopt a new policy: get caught texting or talking on the phone while on duty and get fired, no warnings.

So yeah, I'd say cell phone video can be useful.
    Def not interested in getting people fired. I do realize there's a safety issue involved but that's how I feel.

Not a real user of video recording, except as something I've played with a few times. So I'm personally not missing it though I'm sure some people have real productivity uses for it.

BTW Isn't there a list of items in the other WebOS 1.1 thread, the one claiming a release date of July 22? That list I believe is claimed to be from an internal email sent out by Sprint to all employees. That list is also more reasonable for a 1.1 version update. It includes More exhange security features, smilies for text, and a few other things. Def not video recording. If you believe the list in the OP of this thread I susupect you'll just be setting yourself up for disapointment. I woldn't be surprised if Video is slated for WebOS 2/Pre 2.

I personally would be happy with a fix for alarms and notifications. I have three alarms set to wake me in the morning spaced 20 minutes apart and only ever get the first one. Sometimes I'll get a notification on my screen for the second one but no audible alarm.
    Last edited by ronlongo; 07/17/2009 at 08:48 AM.
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I believe it when I see it.

Folks thought releasing Pre was a big deal, but I think the real work happens after the product release.

It must be a GULAG Gulag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia inside the PALM building.

PALM must be working hard to get the second device Dixie. Plus not to mention the porting of Pre on Verizon and getting out the GSM one.

Frankly I wish they concentrated on removing the sluggishness in the existing device. And the battery issues too. Why on earth the battery gets too hot ? they could have tested this thing with various combination ( scaling down the CPU or throwing a heat sync or creating an air vent ).

I am sure the battery is going to bite their back once the SEIDIOs of the world start selling extended batteries.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Def not interested in getting people fired. I do realize there's a safety issue involved but that's how I feel.

Not a real user of video recording, except as something I've played with a few times. So I'm personally not missing it though I'm sure some people have real productivity uses for it.
    You must not have heard of the crash at Disney World where the conductor of a monorail crashed into another doing this very thing! He harmed others...that justifies jail time and fines! Firing is only the FIRST step of punishment!
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Come on! Think about it!

How in the world are we going to see Anne Hathaway's leaked sex tape if the Pre doesn't record video?!

Disclaimer, total joke.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    do people really care that much about video recording I mean I could care less, however txt forwarding and copy/past anything and saving anything from the web is a plus for sure
    Video is huge.
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    The one thing I want with the new update is the App catalog 1.0 to get more apps in the store.
    Not until fall is the latest word. Which, knowing how these things go, means October or November. Maybe December.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Cell phone video has gotten a couple of DC Metro (subway) drivers suspended, when passengers recorded them texting and sleeping while driving the trains. The publicity forced Metro to adopt a new policy: get caught texting or talking on the phone while on duty and get fired, no warnings.

So yeah, I'd say cell phone video can be useful.
    I ride the DC Metro every day. I've seen people taking pictures of employees and the employees don't like it. I've personally heard employees threaten customers with phone confiscation.

Funny thing is, witnessing this is one of the reason I switch from a camera-less Blackberry 8830 to the Pre. Not that I want my phone confiscated, but it reminded me that there are times where a camera can make a difference.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    Not until fall is the latest word. Which, knowing how these things go, means October or November. Maybe December.
    I thought the reference to the fall was only to new app submissions using the newly released public SDK. All of the early access participants should hopefully get their apps released before then. Here's hoping. I keep waiting for the number 30 in the app catalog to change.
    There was this incident in NYC during Critical Mass where a cop assaulted a cyclist.

The cyclist, of course pressed charges but the cop claimed the cyclist assaulted him first. The cop probably would have gotten away - if not for the video. It showed that the cop was walking in the middle of the mass, and pretty much just violently attacked the nearest rider who unluckily just happened to pass by him. The poor guy did not even see that one coming.

Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    You must not have heard of the crash at Disney World where the conductor of a monorail crashed into another doing this very thing! He harmed others...that justifies jail time and fines! Firing is only the FIRST step of punishment!
    Did my post not just state that I realize there's a safety issue involved?
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    With a 3.0 megapixel camera and no zoom? It is a great camera but we need ZOOM for pictures. I don't use the video that often so that is not a deal breaker for me.

This phone is pretty darn perfect for me. I am glad that the SDK has been finally released so we get moving on some apps like Slingplayer and Golf Caddie can start working on apps. When Flash comes to the Pre in the fall, then I think that it will be the tops on the smartphones.
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.
    Quote Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post
    Hey guys,

I apologize if this has already been discussed but I thought I'd add this for you guys. At the official Palm forum, I caught this:

Updates to expect:
    • Video Recording
    • Copy/Paste Anything
    • Save Pictures From The Web
    • Forward Text Messaging
    • And More!

Is this not exciting? I actually was disappointed that video recording was not included on the Palm Pre but now it will be!

But... this was not posted by an official rep of Palm/Sprint but it was relayed through by a fellow Palm Pre owner so there's no way to verify the accuracy of this. Take it with a grain of salt.

And... if you haven't yet, add your thoughts of what the next update should include: Post HERE what you think the Palm Pre needs to offer for the next update. - Synergy (webOS) - Palm Support Community (not to detract you guys from this forum but it is the official Palm forum after all).

Cheers.
    i hope its for this august 1st for when webOS 1.1 comes out!!!
    If this is true then I think it's time we applaud Palm/Sprint for making big changes in their approach to customer satisfaction. I've said this before but when you compare how different this is from the Treo experience many of us have had, then you know how big this is. Although I loved that device, hiding the antenna inside the body and switching from SD to MicroSD does not a new model make (700P to 755p), along with new and upgraded versions of PalmOS apps that were made available for the new cheaper Centro that were never made available for the more expensive, older models.

The number of updates for the Pre is coming out faster then most devices. The Pre has only been out a little more then a month and we've had 3 updates since launch. It's time to give Palm/Sprint credit for making a change for the better and earning our respect.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    * Video Recording
    * Copy/Paste Anything
    * Save Pictures From The Web
    * Forward Text Messaging
    * And More!

I doubt it. Sounds like you want an iPhone
    Video is coming. Whether it's part of 1.1 or not doesn't matter. The internals are there. The phone is capable of video, just waiting on the app. As for the other stuff... twood be nice.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    What the heck are you talking about? There's been no mention of the driver "texting while driving". The accident was blamed on human error - a track switch wasn't thrown when the operator claimed it had been done, and the monorail pilot who crashed into the motionless monorail was REVERSING and he couldn't see where he was going anyhow. Sheeez. This is how weird rumors get started, I guess.

Disney Monorail Accident Was Human Error, Report Says (FOX News)
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast