Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    please no one be shady I don't want thread to be locked again

long story short: dropped phone -> no touchscreen and wobbly screen -> i tried to fix it -> warranty sticker got damaged

now I am willing to accept the fact that i messed up. I am unsure in consenquences of this. If someone could show me where to find any documentation about this sacred sticker, i would appreciate it.

My question is, what can I do now?
    if i go to the store and they see the damaged sticker...what will they do?
    will i be forced to buy a new phone?
    will i be able to return my damaged pre?
    Is there any other solutions to the problem without having to all shady about it?

btw, I have insurance and I haven't completed my 30 days with the pre.

thanks.
    and again, please keep the shadiness to a minumum
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Here are your options:
    1) Deal with the broken phone and live out your contract.
    2) Go to a Sprint store explain the situation and pray that they may have mercy/compassion.

No need for shadiness. Fess-up, be a stand-up person, take your punches (if they come), accept the result (whichever it may be).
    I don't know for sure, but I think if your Pre was damaged, Assurion would probably never check for the sticker (at least until it was too late and they would't care). I'm not sure how deep in the Pre the sticker is. Is it in a location that is obvious to a repair tech in a Sprint store? (I won't make any shady suggestions other than to ask if the sticker is in a place where your dog could have chewed it,)

good luck, interested in finding out what you learn here,
    --Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by edoles View Post
    Here are your options:
    1) Deal with the broken phone and live out your contract.
    2) Go to a Sprint store explain the situation and pray that they may have mercy/compassion.

No need for shadiness. Fess-up, be a stand-up person, take your punches (if they come), accept the result (whichever it may be).
    I like the way you think.
    i guess i should man up and face the consequences.
    but what exactly are these consenquences be?

Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I don't know for sure, but I think if your Pre was damaged, Assurion would probably never check for the sticker (at least until it was too late and they would't care). I'm not sure how deep in the Pre the sticker is. Is it in a location that is obvious to a repair tech in a Sprint store? (I won't make any shady suggestions other than to ask if the sticker is in a place where your dog could have chewed it,)

good luck, interested in finding out what you learn here,
    --Bob
    it is far to deep for a dog to chew it.
    and it just sounds like bs.

"how is your sticker broken?'

"uhhh...my dog ate it."

lol
    Last edited by dfjar93; 07/17/2009 at 01:03 AM.
    Yeah, my other ideas were even corny-er, like accientally dropping the pre into a meat grinder, etc. :-)

100% recycled plastic, 100% Pre-consumer shredded content ;-)
    you have insurance, what are you afraid of?

worst case is you are out 100 bucks dedutible
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    you have insurance, what are you afraid of?

worst case is you are out 100 bucks dedutible

wait
    i thought a voided warranty meant that i can't get a phone replacement?
    or am i wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by dfjar93 View Post
    wait
    or am i wrong?
    The replacement comes from an insurance company. I doubt they are going to check for stickers. I'd say they just want a device that they can send back in the queue to be refurbished.
  9.    #9  
    wow i hope you are right
    this would make me a very happy camper
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    The only time I did an insurance claim with them was a few years back. I called them, they shipped me a new/refurb phone, and I shipped my broke one back. I had the replacement before they saw my old one.
    wait
    or am i wrong?
    think about it: If a phone is lost, stolen, gotten wet, damaged, it is ALL covered under insurance.

In your case, your phone is physical damage, so yes pay your 100 bucks and you will get a replacement.

Sprints insurance is a no questions asked policy.
  12.    #12  
    so it looks like I need to make calls to Asurion
    thanks guys
    A heads up. I tried to return my girlfriends Pre today and was told that the deep scratch that she had on her screen violated the warranty. The whole reason why I wanted to return it was because she had a heat-damaged which was covered by the warranty. Sprint is being finicky and the first thing they did was pop the back off the phone, because the Sprint girl didn't know how to soft reset the phone. Since you seriously voided your warranty by damaging the sticker you should just "lose" your phone and kick out the $100 deductible.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidragnarok View Post
    A heads up. I tried to return my girlfriends Pre today and was told that the deep scratch that she had on her screen violated the warranty. The whole reason why I wanted to return it was because she had a heat-damaged which was covered by the warranty. Sprint is being finicky and the first thing they did was pop the back off the phone, because the Sprint girl didn't know how to soft reset the phone. Since you seriously voided your warranty by damaging the sticker you should just "lose" your phone and kick out the $100 deductible.
    what happened? you just paid it and they sent a new one?

well hopefully, the guys at Asurion aren't as finicky as the guys working at sprint stores.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    The insurance is for covers lost and stolen as well... Just tell em you lost it...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidragnarok View Post
    Thats odd. How could you tell it had heat damage? What were the symptoms or what was physically wrong with it? What caused the heat damage? My phone has gotten pretty hot and not had any damage whatsoever, the only time I've seen heat damage is a guy who left his in the sun...
    so it looks like I need to make calls to Asurion
    thanks guys
    No, don't call Asurion first. Trust me, I've been dealing with Sprint and TEP coverage for years.

Find a Sprint store that is a repair center. Take it there first. As was suggested earlier, be honest with them. Chances are very good they will swap it out for you. Sprint goes the extra mile for folks with TEP. Unless the phone has major damage (like a car ran over it), or has been dropped in water, a Sprint service center will typically replace the unit with no deductable.

The worst that's going to happen, in your case, is that you will have to pay the $100, but they will advise you whether or not you should call Asurion.
    i'm an ASC tech in philaddelphia and honestly i dont even look nor care what the stickers are like. i usually break the sticker myself anyhow when i open the phones to check for liquid.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    "Sticker"? Please explain?
    I agree with the idea of taking it to the repair center and saying not much at first. They are not allowed to service Pre's right now. Chances are they will just swap you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast