Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When I had my treo 755p I was addicted to ultimatephone and the ability to dial my top friend by simply clicking on their photo. When I first got my pre I actually made a page on my launcher that was just my to friends but this didn't look so hot. I have a small background with web design but a strong background with photoshop. However, I know nothing about writing apps or doing anything with the webos. With all my limitations I decided that I could come up with a better option for dialing my top friends.

I started out with a background that I downloaded from a pre wallpapers site. After that I downloaded an iphone icon as a psd and resized it to 100X100. I then imported my top friends photos and pasted them into the iphone icon making a bunch of icons for my friends. I laid these icons over the background I downloaded and now I esentially had the image I wanted on my screen to dial.

Next step was to edit this image for the web. I created a new web page with the dimensions of 320X480 and simply loaded the image I created as a background. I then drew hyperlink boxes around each individual photo contact. I set the hyperlink of each image as "tel:XXXXXXXXXX" and for voicemail I simply used my own phone number. I tried to create a sms button for each contact but unfortunately when you click on the hyperlink with "sms:XXXXXXXXXX" it simply loads the main text msg screen but will not create a new text to that phone number. I tried the same technique on my girl's iphone and it worked the way I wanted (argh). Once I had all the hyperlinks set up I then just published the site to a folder on my desktop.

Next step is a web server. I ended up going with awardspace . com b/c they offer free ftp and no ads to deal with. I registered and simply loaded my site. Now I have a bookmark to my photodialer page but I have found that I just keep the card running at all times. I know I could use speedial but I would prefer not having to open the phone app all the time and I would also prefer not having to open the phone just to make a call.

This is all a work in progress at this time. You could add as many contacts as you wanted this way and while it is not initially the fastest process in the world but once you get the hang of it, I think it is totally worth it. I am also debating doubling the length of the page and adding some more friends/links at the bottom. If you have any input of ideas then please let me know (including the sms problem) I attached a capture of my screen so you have an idea as to what I ended up with so far...

Edit: I just thought to add the bookmark to my launcher and then drag it to my quicklaunch bar....Now my "app" is just a touch away.

Last edited by whitesmoke33; 07/16/2009 at 10:38 PM.
    very cool!
    You know what? i don't care if you jimmyrigged the whole thing, I'm going to give you props for being creative!

I'd use your system, but the battery life on this phone is so shoddy I think I'll give it a bit more thought before I opt to keep an open browser at all times.

Nice work, though! Keep up the innovating!
  4.    #4  
    I have not noticed any problems with my battery life but I usually always leave cards running
    I have to charge my phone 2 times a day if I expect to use it and make it through the night!
    Very nice...
    I don't know anything about programming, but I can certainly work with graphics, and can set up a web page. This was a cool idea.
    I tried it real quick, and it works perfectly. I didn't know you could put the te:XXXXXXXXXX deal in there to make it dial. Works perfect. One thing I noticed, which is actually kind of good, is that it brings up the phone number in the phone app, but you have to actually hit the call button to make the call.
    I can see setting up a base "Hompage" with links to other pages for, well just about anything... Contacts by group, web links, etc... all with my own preference for the graphics / links....
    cont...
    I'm sure you could put widgets for weather, calendars, etc... on one's "homepage" if you wanted also. hmmmm...
    Yeah..I was thinking about the widgets on the homepage but you would have to keep refreshing to keep things up to date...might be worth it though.

Instead of having the web browser on my quicklaunch bar I now use my photodialer. If I need my bookmarks then a simple hit vack before it loads takes me to my bookmarks...

Any luck on sms...that's what I am wishing for now...
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Is there a file you could post that would let me just drop in my pics?
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Just a thought, but would there be a way to do this w/o actually hitting the web? Like having the html file on the phone? Or can the Pre browser not do that yet?
    Ohh...then again I might just make all my bookmarks at the bottom of this page...hmmm
    This weekend I can post the psd so you can just drop in ur background and contact pics in addition to all the web files with instructions on how to edit the phone numbers with just a text editor....

No way of locally hosting files that I know of. I tried to access the file system via the web browser but no luck yet. Hosting it all locally would be the goal which would esentially make this an app but again the whole webos and rooting thing is a little over my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcigary View Post
    Just a thought, but would there be a way to do this w/o actually hitting the web? Like having the html file on the phone? Or can the Pre browser not do that yet?
    That's a good idea, since web services aren't available when roaming.
    Leave the card open at all times and you should still be able to use it while roaming.....
    Quote Originally Posted by whitesmoke View Post
    Leave the card open at all times and you should still be able to use it while roaming.....
    true... but it's still going to be a good idea to figure out how to do this without having to access the web.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Can this be done by just having a locally stored html file on the pre? That way you dont have to be online?
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Montana View Post
    That's a good idea, since web services aren't available when roaming.
    BAH! I just created a quickie .htm file, put it on the pre, and tried opening it with "file:\\\ONE.htm" in the browser and it states:"Cannot display local files". WTF? Why would Palm put that restriction in the browser????
    here's a rough draft - I suck at graphics, if anyone wants to clean it up feel free.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I could package it as an app and send it back to you. Possibly, I could even turn it into a fully customizable application for everyone to use...

Would it be ok to use your idea for a full app?
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    I could package it as an app and send it back to you. Possibly, I could even turn it into a fully customizable application for everyone to use...

Would it be ok to use your idea for a full app?
    With all due respect to OP for the innovative way to get a "Quick Launch" for frequent contacts, I don't think the concept is an original idea. I would sincerely appreciate a good app to handle this task!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast