Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Ummm...why don't you just add your contacts to the launcher and give them their own launcher page? It is the same thing as this, but better, because you don't have to load the browser. It's also 10x easier.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Montana View Post
    With all due respect to OP for the innovative way to get a "Quick Launch" for frequent contacts, I don't think the concept is an original idea. I would sincerely appreciate a good app to handle this task!
    True

I will have to look into image loading for the contact pictures-- I don't think I can crop the picture without a serverside component such as GD.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    Ummm...why don't you just add your contacts to the launcher and give them their own launcher page? It is the same thing as this, but better, because you don't have to load the browser. It's also 10x easier.
    I think the intention here was to send the phone number directly to the dialer. If you have a Launcher page it sends it to the Contact app, and then you have to select what number to dial.

Since my experiment failed with just putting a html page on the phone locally and opening it up with the browser, it got me to thinking that maybe the offline mode could be worked around by starting up a local webserver on the phone. But hey, if we're going to go through that much trouble, it might as well be made into a fullblown app...
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcigary View Post
    I think the intention here was to send the phone number directly to the dialer. If you have a Launcher page it sends it to the Contact app, and then you have to select what number to dial.

Since my experiment failed with just putting a html page on the phone locally and opening it up with the browser, it got me to thinking that maybe the offline mode could be worked around by starting up a local webserver on the phone. But hey, if we're going to go through that much trouble, it might as well be made into a fullblown app...
    ok...i still think you guys are going way overboard on creating a feature that's already in the phone, but whatever makes you happy is cool with me
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

And here is the html page you'll need to upload to your server to make this work, image areas mapped out etc.

Quick Contacts
    ok...i still think you guys are going way overboard on creating a feature that's already in the phone, but whatever makes you happy is cool with me
    What feature is already in the phone? I want to tap 2-3 times max in order to talk to the people I dial on a daily basis.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    What feature is already in the phone? I want to tap 2-3 times max in order to talk to the people I dial on a daily basis.
    TAP 1 - open launcher
    TAP 2 - Select person
    TAP 3 - select method of communication

3 taps is all it takes and you don't have to bring up the browser or create a webpage or any of that. You also don't have to find and host everyone's pictures, as they're automatically transferred to the launcher. My wife uses this method and it works great for her. Here's a pic of her launcher....excuse my lazy paint job.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TAP 1 - open launcher
    TAP 2 - Select person
    TAP 3 - select method of communication

3 taps is all it takes and you don't have to bring up the browser or create a webpage or any of that. You also don't have to find and host everyone's pictures, as they're automatically transferred to the launcher. My wife uses this method and it works great for her. Here's a pic of her launcher....excuse my lazy paint job.
    I see what you're saying.... not bad!
    Going to the contatcs page just seemed like an extra step and honestly it just didn't look good. I'm fine with making all this an app..that would be my goal but I am cueless when it comes to that. I realize this may have been done by other people before but I just thought of it last night and thought you all could use it on ur own/make it better.
    how do you change what's on the bottom row of quick launch icons? I don't want mail there, I'd rather have... well, anything else.
    how do you change what's on the bottom row of quick launch icons? I don't want mail there, I'd rather have... well, anything else.
    Sorry, figured it out. You have to first remove one of the icons by touching and holding, then dragging up into the launcher area. You can then drag a different icon into the bar.
    That's a good idea, since web services aren't available when roaming.
    Sure they are.
    Open the dialer.
    Click on "sprint" in the top left corner.
    Go to preferences.
    Click on "date roaming">ENABLED

You're set.
    Quote Originally Posted by iranmani113 View Post
    Sure they are.
    Open the dialer.
    Click on "sprint" in the top left corner.
    Go to preferences.
    Click on "date roaming">ENABLED

You're set.
    You, sir, are awesome. thanks!
    Glad to help! (and I MEANT to type 'data'...not 'date' lol..)

FYI I haven't had to pay any additional fees since turning this on...
    b/c data roaming is included with the plan
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    What about security? I wouldn't want my number published on the web in any form.

Just wait for the app.
    Nice Work OP! I applaud your creativity & effort, The Pre is designed for this type of stuff, its perfect for new Web Developers..

Good Job
    Just don't put the voicemail number and your number won't be on the web who cares about family and friends...

I actually made my webpage a completely random name (not index.html) to help hide it...
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    b/c data roaming is included with the plan
    That's what I said as well...unfortunately I'd seen this be an issue of virgorus debate on other palm pre forums. Hence the FYI lol.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whitesmoke View Post
    Just don't put the voicemail number and your number won't be on the web who cares about family and friends...

I actually made my webpage a completely random name (not index.html) to help hide it...
    I'm not referring to my voicemail number. I don't want anyone, friends or family, posting my number on their website, random url or not. Call me private I guess.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast