Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I kinda want to make my own stylus to use at the moment until one comes in the mail. But what would work as a capacitive stylus? I tried every type of metal I could think of and the only thing I found to work was the button on my pants. It only works when my hand is touching it. The problem is that I don't want to take out the button of my pants to do so.

Anyone know of the material used? Or what household type stuff would work?
    I even tried some of the top the line speaker wire and it did nothing.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Silver is the most conductive metal...may be expensive though
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    I believe the secret ingredient is unicorn blood or the tears of innocent children (maybe both)...

Seriously I've seen ones with a magnetic mesh material...
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    Silver is the most conductive metal...may be expensive though
    Drag metal across this beautiful screen?
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Quote Originally Posted by sothrowd08 View Post
    I kinda want to make my own stylus to use at the moment until one comes in the mail. But what would work as a capacitive stylus? I tried every type of metal I could think of and the only thing I found to work was the button on my pants. It only works when my hand is touching it. The problem is that I don't want to take out the button of my pants to do so.

Anyone know of the material used? Or what household type stuff would work?
    I even tried some of the top the line speaker wire and it did nothing.
    Where have you found one to order in the mail?
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    I believe the secret ingredient is unicorn blood or the tears of innocent children (maybe both)...
    Darn, you beat me to it. Although, I was going to say "Sugar and spice, and everything nice."
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Human flesh. Just have to find a donor...
    I tried that. It only works if it is attached to a live human
    Hahahahahah all of this comments are pretty funny. How about alluminum with a small tip of foam?
    Hahahahahah all of this comments are pretty funny. How about alluminum with a small tip of foam material?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post

Seriously I've seen ones with a magnetic mesh material...
    Awesome! I have gallons of each of those!
  12.    #12  
    SONGTAK TECHNOLOGY CO.,LTD

It is for the iphone but it should work for the pre as well
    Just remember that the contact area needs to be the size of a large pencil to be effective. I would have thought that anything conductive that you were holding would work. Try some objects wrapped in aluminium foil.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I think the best stylus is the one the Pre was designed for ... a human finger.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by nilemann View Post
    I think the best stylus is the one the Pre was designed for ... a human finger.
    What if you just ate some damn cheetos. What if your hands are sweaty and greasy or wet? What if it was cold outside and you were wearing gloves? What if you got fat fingers?
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I'm pretty sure it is GROUND! Your body mass creates enough of a "mass" to appear as a ground in electrical terms. That's why sour finger works! That what Capacitive is all about. Not a metal or material, but a mass of negative energy that the screen thinks that it is technical "ground, as in an electrical circuit.
  17.    #17  
    Actually your body is not a ground. Your body creates electrical current. Think of your nervous system. There is electrical signals going through your body constantly. Touch a 3.5 connector and you should hear a 60 hz tone.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    New gloves should be coming out around October for capacitive screens. Gizmodo reviewed three of the last year...I would expect better models to come out this year. The iPhone has gotten more popular and more capacitive screens have came out.

Get a screen protector if you have dirty fingers. The screen isn't recessed so its not hard to wipe clean.
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    I use some not so nice chemicals at work they give me a layer of dead skin over time. I know when I need to Peel it away now when My finger tips stop working the TouchScreen.

I'm not sure what the I-Phone ones use I always thought they had a small battery in them and used that as a contact point but not really sure. i will get one in the fall as I do wear gloves most of the winter.
    Don't buy the Pogo stylus made for the iPhone. The Pre's screen is different from the iPhone's, maybe somewhat less sensitive. You have to press pretty hard to get with the Pogo stylus to get it to respond, and I'm afraid it might break the Pre's screen. I think the company is trying to develop one for the Pre.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast