1.    #1  
    Okay, so first of all, let me just say, I'm not complaining about the homebrew stuff at all, we've been getting some really great things there lately.

But, as I browse through the Homebrew Apps section of the forum practically every hour, I'm really wishing the App Catalog would go live already.

The biggest reason is that it's becoming more and more of an issue to keep up with the latest update of each homebrew app as I install more (especially with the lightning quick development of some of them). While that's nice that things are moving along so fast, I'm really wishing I could just press a button on my phone and have it check for all the updates.

Anyway, I guess there's no real point to this thread, because this is how it was with my Treos and my WM phone anyway, but I just can't wait for the App Catalog to go live for real to take away the hassle (and funny how it didn't seem like even the slightest bit of issue until after I got my Pre, especially that first two weeks when the App Catalog was getting new stuff daily).
    I'm getting quite anxious as well
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I dunno about you guys, but all this talk of "Homebrew" is making me THIRSTY!

Quote Originally Posted by dcigary View Post
    I dunno about you guys, but all this talk of "Homebrew" is making me THIRSTY!

Yeah, and it's a good thing that "Homegrown" didn't catch on instead...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    With the release of the Mojo SDK palm also stated that they would begin accepting apps in the Fall. This implies that there may be very few, if any, additions to the Catalog until then.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    With the release of the Mojo SDK palm also stated that they would begin accepting apps in the Fall. This implies that there may be very few, if any, additions to the Catalog until then.
    Actually, here's what Palm said:

"The initial response to Palm webOS apps -- from both developers and customers -- has been enthusiastic. Even in its initial beta stage, over 1.8 million apps have been downloaded from the beta App Catalog since Palm Pre was released less than six weeks ago. Thousands of developers have participated in the Mojo SDK early access program since it began in early April. New applications are in the pipeline for the Palm App Catalog, and the App Catalog submission process will be opened to all developers beginning this fall."

This means that there are currently some number of apps that are at some stage of the process of being released. Then Palm will be opening up the submission process from just the early access participants to all developers this fall. If there have been thousands of developers in the early access program, then there could be literally thousands of apps just waiting to be released.

My guess (and note that I predicted that the Pre would be released on May 17) is that Palm will be releasing the new, non-beta version of the App Catalog in WebOS 1.1, and that they're waiting for this to release all of the new apps waiting in the pipeline.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Actually, here's what Palm said:

"The initial response to Palm webOS apps -- from both developers and customers -- has been enthusiastic. Even in its initial beta stage, over 1.8 million apps have been downloaded from the beta App Catalog since Palm Pre was released less than six weeks ago. Thousands of developers have participated in the Mojo SDK early access program since it began in early April. New applications are in the pipeline for the Palm App Catalog, and the App Catalog submission process will be opened to all developers beginning this fall."

This means that there are currently some number of apps that are at some stage of the process of being released. Then Palm will be opening up the submission process from just the early access participants to all developers this fall. If there have been thousands of developers in the early access program, then there could be literally thousands of apps just waiting to be released.

My guess (and note that I predicted that the Pre would be released on May 17) is that Palm will be releasing the new, non-beta version of the App Catalog in WebOS 1.1, and that they're waiting for this to release all of the new apps waiting in the pipeline.
    God I hope so. I'm so annoyed with this supposed app "catalog". It's more an app "flyer".
    here is a solution for 1.2 users to get app catalog apps
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...92#post1886092

as for homebrew updates... use preware its your friend
    Last edited by jack87; 09/11/2009 at 05:41 AM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

The biggest reason is that it's becoming more and more of an issue to keep up with the latest update of each homebrew app as I install more (especially with the lightning quick development of some of them). While that's nice that things are moving along so fast, I'm really wishing I could just press a button on my phone and have it check for all the updates.

If you open fileCoaster, it checks the version of the app that you have loaded and when it goes to list all the homebrew apps, it will place a 'Updated' banner across the top right of an app that has a newer version then what you have loaded. I prefer this since these apps are very much Beta, you might like a current version and want to wait to do the upgrade to a newer version for a couple of days just in case something causes problems (i.e. let others find the bugs first before you submit yourself to them).

Whereas, the apps in the App Catalog go through a review process at Palm to help ensure that they work properly and don't cause problems... and therefore automatic updates seem more appropriate.
    Former Sprint Treo 700p Owner, now Sprint Palm Pre- and HP Touchpad Owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    So how do you explain the flood of apps in the last two weeks?
    It's nothing compared to the iphone but enough to keep the plebs in line
    The biggest reason is that it's becoming more and more of an issue to keep up with the latest update of each homebrew app as I install more (especially with the lightning quick development of some of them).
    How do you manage your homebrew? It doesn't seem like much of an issue with PreWare. You're notified of available update upon entering the PreWare app. Click & go.
    Follow Me On

Okay, so first of all, let me just say, I'm not complaining about the homebrew stuff at all, we've been getting some really great things there lately.

But, as I browse through the Homebrew Apps section of the forum practically every hour, I'm really wishing the App Catalog would go live already.

Anyway, I guess there's no real point to this thread, because this is how it was with my Treos and my WM phone anyway, but I just can't wait for the App Catalog to go live for real to take away the hassle (and funny how it didn't seem like even the slightest bit of issue until after I got my Pre, especially that first two weeks when the App Catalog was getting new stuff daily).
    till you can install more than that stupid limit on the app catalog...then I would actually give a crap...don't get me wrong I want that app catalog to go live already...But till Palm fixes the limit issue it pisses me off thinking that I can't install anything from the app catalog and hope with 1.2 it fixes the issue
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    This thread is from 2 months ago, that may make some of the posts make more sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    This thread is from 2 months ago, that may make some of the posts make more sense.
    LOL. I will blame my lack of awareness on today being a Friday.
    Follow Me On

Is it just my idea or is the rate of new apps going live in the homebrew catalog decreasing?

What do you think is the reason?
    1. I'm wrong in my observation
    2. The rate of Pre's being sold has declined so less new people in the community
    3. All the "obvious" apps have been "taken"
    4. Most developers are waiting for a paid model

Is it something that should worry us?
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    good point
    MatterOfFactJack