1.    #1  
    I went to a Sprint Corporate store here in Cincinnati Ohio last night with my Pre. Already after 3 days I have some "oreo" between the front and back pieces. When I told the sales associate, he said the technician would need to look at it.

He came back of course and said this was normal, that his phone did this as did the models on the floor. I showed him my wife's Pre which does not do this.
    I also mentioned that I have several dead pixels and backlight bleeding around the screen, but he told me those issues are purely cosmetic in nature and that I could file an insurance claim if I wanted to.

Cosmetic in nature? Basically if they cannot see the issue under the store lights, it doesn't exist. I plan to remain with Sprint and the Pre, but this is unbelievable. Are all Sprint stores the same with these technicians? I had the same problem at the store not 10 miles away. They said the twisting was normal and sent me on my way.

So where are these stores that are allowing 4 and 5 exchanges cause I need a road trip.
    I had the same experience with my first Pre (stuck pixels and light leakage). The store reps claimed they couldn't see the problem (and it was kind of hard to see it under those lights) so I took up a claim with Palm themselves. They swapped it out after doing some minor troubleshooting.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks mrjcarter. Its just really disconcerting that I would need to call Palm. I am used to Apple's level of customer service where I walk in the store and they take care of it. Apparently, I need to lower my standards.
    Have you read the post about fixing the wabbly slider? I'm not suggesting you try to fix it. However, if everything in the post is true about the slider mechanism, these phones with "Oreo Effects" are at least partially the fault of the owner. If you're putting any sideways forces on the slider when you open or close it, it will over time bend the guide (flange) on the slider creating a gap between the track and the guide which produces the Oreo Effect.

No I'm not completely blaming you. If this is all true then, there is a design problem with the phone. The flange is too weak for this application. My point here is that when you exchange your new phone. You may want to do two things. First, verify for yourself what I'm saying by reading the post about fixing the slider. Second, change the way that you open and close your slider. I generally open and close my phone with two hands and apply force only in the direction of the slide. As a consequence, my slider has very little play.

Here's the link to the thread I'm talking about: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1754905
    Last edited by ronlongo; 07/16/2009 at 04:51 PM.
    Yeah, when the store reps refused to acknowledge my problems, I returned it to that Sprint store and bought another Pre, which I'm much happier with, from another Sprint store. This also resets your 30 day return period.
  6.    #6  
    Yes, but if I return my Pre to the store, I am already out of my 30 day Window from my initial return. I bought a Pre on launch day June 6th and it is now July 16th. Supposedly, if you cancel your account after 30 days, you have a 60 day grace period. Any thoughts on that?
    I also ported my number from AT&T yesterday, so if I return this phone I might lose my number.
    In the current state of Palm pres - getting a phone 100% defect free is slim. Just use a pre that you can live with, wait for them to fix the issues, then get it replaced after that. Your 1 year warranty will cover defects at any Authorized Service And Repair store (does not cover liquid or physical abuse - however there have been issues with cracked screens that are not considered physical abuse and have been replaced under warranty.)
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sixerztres View Post
    Yeah, when the store reps refused to acknowledge my problems, I returned it to that Sprint store and bought another Pre, which I'm much happier with, from another Sprint store. This also resets your 30 day return period.
    best idea ever.
    I am on my third. The first two had way more serious issues than the oreoing that many have. The oreo effect generally doesn't get you an exchange unless it is way bad, like coming off the rails bad.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Remedy1978 View Post
    I went to a Sprint Corporate store here in Cincinnati Ohio last night with my Pre. Already after 3 days I have some "oreo" between the front and back pieces. When I told the sales associate, he said the technician would need to look at it.

He came back of course and said this was normal, that his phone did this as did the models on the floor. I showed him my wife's Pre which does not do this.
    I also mentioned that I have several dead pixels and backlight bleeding around the screen, but he told me those issues are purely cosmetic in nature and that I could file an insurance claim if I wanted to.

Cosmetic in nature? Basically if they cannot see the issue under the store lights, it doesn't exist. I plan to remain with Sprint and the Pre, but this is unbelievable. Are all Sprint stores the same with these technicians? I had the same problem at the store not 10 miles away. They said the twisting was normal and sent me on my way.

So where are these stores that are allowing 4 and 5 exchanges cause I need a road trip.
    If you're still searching, the Sprint store on Old Troy Pike in Huber Heights, OH (about 1 hour from you) exchanged my 3rd Pre with no arguments at all. Good luck!!!!
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I live in the tulsa, OK area. there is only one sprint repair store, so that is where i go to do all my phone business. i am on my 3rd pre. First two had very bad pixels problems(so i thought). My current phone has the same pixel problem as before so I take it to them and naturally they cant see anything. 4 reps looked at it for 2 hours with me pointing directly at it(i have counted up to 10 at one time). They kept saying it was the grid. right. I wasnt there to exchange I just wanted them to tell me what the deal is. them being the only repair store around all problems go to them, and manager told me they have yet to have anyone have a pixel problem and has never heard of it(obviously he doesnt read forums). anyway i leave with no answer. when i get home i come across a post about pixels and what i ended up having is STUCK pixels, did the youtube fix it suggested and voila, no stuck pixels. evidently if its white on a dark screen its a STUCK. if its black on a light screen its dead. just throwing this out there.
    my pre fell off my chair (about 2 feet) in the open position 2 nights ago and now it oreos slightly, like a 1/3 of a CM, and in the closed position the top piece wobbles vertically. I brought it into a store today, showed the guy the wobble for 2 seconds, and he said he'd have a new phone in for me on monday. I guess it's just the luck of the draw for some people.
    I'd definitely deal with Palm's support first, specially if the local Sprint store gave me any grief -specially since, if you got it at launch, you're over the 30 day return period.

I've exchanged over half a dozen Palm phones in the past and they're extremely responsive to get you a replacement phone. And their refurbs (at least in my case) had brand new shells, so they looked brand new on the outside.

So if you're able to get replaced at the store easily, post it when did you first buy the phone.

/edit: oundn1, please, line breaks are your friend.
  14.    #14  
    Im still in my 30 day period because I signed back up with Sprint on July 10th.
    I have had all these problems with my first 3 pre's. They just kept ordering me reconditioned phones and they all had the same problem. I think that when the slider does the see-saw effect and they pull apart off the tabs that hold it in place, it is definitely a problem. The first one came out of the box like this. I kept going to the same store and they know me quite well. When I get my 3rd pre, it had a really bad color stain at the top so I went back the same day. At this point I am outside of the 30 days. I show him and he brings me one that he claims to be my first one I brought in. He lied because it was activated in someone else's name. It was a used one and he put a screen protector on it. But this one had no wobble at all. If I try to pull the two pieces apart it will not budge. You would think it would have wobble problems since it was someone else's at some point. I pull up pandora and bam there was a color stain at the bottom. He then gave up and and said he is ordering a brand new one and it will be in about a week. He also claims that all the phones are supposed to do this and when I get my new phone I am bringing in proof that this one is tight and solid compared to a youtube video. He seems like he understands my problems more than everyone else. He told me that he was able to hack the phone and do the tether trick so he obviously reads the forums. When I go in I am going to check to see if the phone has a recondition date, and if it does, then he will have to get me a new one.
    Yea seems to be the luck of the draw, on my third pre now, first one started cracking, took it to the store I bought it at and they said they had to order one, although I had called before I went in there and they said they had 3 of them, next day I took to another store and didn't even mention the crack( it was small) and said it was randomly shutting off, he went straight to the back and got a new one, new one had about ten stuck/dead pixels and light leaking all around the sides, problem is you can't see the pixels or leakage real well in light, but if in an all dark room and reset the phone, its plain as day, and just knowing its like that you can't live with it, but I took this one to the original store and this time the manager just swapped it out right there no hassle, this one seems pretty good so crossing my fingers