1.    #1  
    I sure hope there is a solution coming out that will let universal search work like all the previous Palm devices. Where when you do a search it searches the entire device for the string that you're looking for, and then it can point you to search engines if not found. The way search works on the Pre is foulishness a big waste of time compare to what we are use to with Palm OS. Remember the Pre is suppose to be a better more advance phone and things as simple as a real universal (the entire device then point to the web) search cannot be accomplish, go figure. Developer community please help Palm solve this problem, we had it on the Treos, why not the Pre. Thanks
    I'd rather that Universal Search itself be limited to what it now includes and then maybe add in tasks and calendar. Adding everything, or (for me) even just email, would clutter up Universal Search and make it far less handy.

That's not to say that another search tool couldn't be added that one could open from the Launcher and search everything on the Pre. And of course I can't wait until search is added to the email app. But, I like Universal Search as fast and efficient as it is today, and wouldn't want that to change.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I think it would be better to add an option to search the whole device. But I would prefer to be able to add my own sites to the universal search, much like precentral or something.
  4. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    I think E-mail search would be critical for many people, especially business users.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I think E-mail search would be critical for many people, especially business users.
    Agreed, email search is critical and important. But, I'm suggesting that it's not a good fit for Universal Search. Many (most?) people have a great deal of email cached (presumably) on their system. No matter how fast it is, search does take some absolute amount of time. Thus, adding email search to Universal Search would necessarily slow it down.

I love the fact that I can start typing anywhere and get apps, contacts, that sort of information for which I typically want instant access--e.g., to make a call NOW, to start an app NOW, etc. I'd much rather see a system wide search tool that can be started and implemented independent of Universal Search, for finding information that might be important but isn't necessarily immediate.

In other words, I'm segregating Universal Search itself as a very specific tool, not making a statement about searching on the Pre in general.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I agree that email search is critical, but I think that that search should stay in the email app instead of Universal Search or a separate application. Not only do I agree with what's above about search speed, but at the same time, when I need to search an email, I know that the information I need is in an email. It's not like I need to do a general search throughout the entire device, I really just need my email searched. I honestly think the same goes for searching the calendar as well. For things like this, an in-application search by typing makes a ton of sense to me, but adding it to Universal Search doesn't.
    I don't want to search for something and have it constantly bring up email when I never want to search my email. Say I type a name of a person I want to call, I don't want to see every email in which I talked about his person or emailed this person, that would be overwhelming IMO.

Especially if I lend my phone to someone to call. "hey Dan how can I call our mutual friend X from you phone" "sure" *guy types in his name* "OMG it says in this email snippet you were lovers!"

I think we should keep searches like that in the actual email application
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    iJaculate somewhere else
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    LOL. agreed. Universal seach doesn't need to be "fixed" as it isn't broken. It works perfectly for my needs. Having email pop up everytime i hit the A key i would go insane. I agree it should be an option ONLY. If i want to search email ill use my desktop.
  9.    #9  
    I am sure most of us here had a Treo of some sort before the Pre. Do a search on the Treo and see how different it is from the Pre, that's my point. The Treo doesn't search messages and email they could have a different search for that. But on the Treo you can do a ''string'' search. For example, on the Treo you can search for phone #s with area code xyz and it return all #s with xyz. Another example, in my phone I store doctors in the following way, "Dr. Green - Urology", "Dr. Jon Doe - ENT". If I do a search on the Pre for Urology nothing show up. But if you do this with a Treo "Dr. Green - Urology" shows up. The only way you can search the Pre is by the beginning letters of each contract. That's not a SEARCH, that's foolishness. They need a "string" seach methodology.

The Treo will search contacts, memo, calendar, etc. No email or messages, they can created a different seach function for that or they could have it such that you can customize your search.
    Last edited by mo pre; 07/16/2009 at 01:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'd rather that Universal Search itself be limited
    This line just seemed funny to me - I do understand your point though, especially if it can really search all of my emails and calendar events. It seems like the elegant way (IMO) to handle it would be have things that would generate quite a few results initially just pop up as a closed cluster that you can click on to bring up more results. Or even if it didn't start searching the email/calendar/etc. immediately clicking on the popup would transfer your query over to the respective program so you'd get the current speed of the Universal Search, but also the ability to make it truly universal (at least to any program that supports internal searching).
    Quote Originally Posted by mo pre View Post
    I am sure most of us here had a Treo of some sort before the Pre. Do a search on the Treo and see how different it is from the Pre, that's my point. The Treo doesn't search messages and email they could have a different search for that. But on the Treo you can do a ''string'' search. For example, on the Treo you can search for phone #s with area code xyz and it return all #s with xyz. Another example, in my phone I store doctors in the following way, "Dr. Green - Urology", "Dr. Jon Doe - ENT". If I do a search on the Pre for Urology nothing show up. But if you do this with a Treo "Dr. Green - Urology" shows up. The only way you can search the Pre is by the beginning letters of each contract. That's not a SEARCH, that's foolishness. They need a "string" seach methodology.

The Treo will search contacts, memo, calendar, etc. No email or messages, they can created a different seach function for that or they could have it such that you can customize your search.
    I never owned a treo but you can search "urology" now and get results, I don't understand.

Right now I have say "Bob Deacon" under his corporation I put "NAFAC" now whenever I type "Bob" "Deacon" or "Nafac" he shows up seems like it is working...

Why you would want to search all numbers under a certain area code is beyond me.

So I don't see what you are saying
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    iJaculate somewhere else
    don't think you get it. when i am searching for all appointments/meetings with "sherry", let's say, i want the pre to able to find them. the treos had this feature. why take a step back. i notice that they have put the search feature in email, so perhaps calendar will be next. if they do that and put in a voice memo, i will be fully satisfied with my pre....
    Where did you see a search feature in email, pretty please? I want one...
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    open your inbox and start typing
    I second this--it already does what you want. I have at least twenty coworkers in my phone, all listed with the company name under the company heading. I type in my company's name--they show up.

Also, if I type in my last name, all my family shows up--which means that the pre doesn't just search for the first word.