View Poll Results: Do you leave Wi-Fi ON all the time?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

81 71.05%
  • No. Haven't needed it, EVDO acceptable.

20 17.54%
  • No. Although I could, there are issues

12 10.53%
  • No. Wi-Fi is not an option for me

1 0.88%
  1.    #1  
    With Wi-Fi access at home, Wi-Fi at work, and EVDO in between and at both, I am pretty lucky here in Seattle. Question: do you typically just leave Wi-Fi swtiched ON for your Pre?
    Last edited by mhorts; 07/16/2009 at 11:59 AM.
    mhorts
    Usually only have it on while at home
    No, that will eat your battery if you don't have a wifi connection available. Wifi connections do handle the battery more efficiently than the EVDO connect but only if a wifi connection is avail.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I only have wi-fi turned on when I am near a wireless network. When I travel I turn it off until I am where it is available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    No, that will eat your battery if you don't have a wifi connection available. Wifi connections do handle the battery more efficiently than the EVDO connect but only if a wifi connection is avail.
    Actually it helps your battery if you leave it on. It only tries to connect to known networks (that you have connected to before) and therefore it does not use any power when not connected and when it is connected it uses less power than EVDO. This is all explained in the owners manual.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I only have Wi-Fi on at home with my secured network. I may turn on Wi-Fi only if I'm taking a break where there's free access. Otherwise, it remains off, but I may leave it on after reading the above post.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Actually it helps your battery if you leave it on. It only tries to connect to known networks (that you have connected to before) and therefore it does not use any power when not connected and when it is connected it uses less power than EVDO. This is all explained in the owners manual.
    I read that it only helps your battery if a wifi connection is available? How does it help ur battery if it is constantly sending out a radio searching for a wifi connect that it does not find?

edit:Palm tech support stated that if you leave wifi on with no connection available, it will drain the battery faster.

I'm going to try both ways since I'm usually in the same environment on a daily basis. Probably the best way to find out either way.
    Last edited by Achill3s; 07/16/2009 at 10:52 AM.
    You missed a choice. I leave it on when around a WIFI connection only. When on the road I turn it off to save power.
    leave wifi on and home...when im out and about turn it off...depends anyways
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    You missed a choice. I leave it on when around a WIFI connection only. When on the road I turn it off to save power.
    That's the option I was looking for in the poll ^^
    I leave Wi-Fi on all the time. At home I have Wi-fi and normally leave it on the touchstone so when I leave for work it is at 100% charge. After 8 hours at work with no wi-fi I am normally at 80% charge or so when I start leaving home. Now that is pretty much 0 use while I am at work. And I haven't even done any of the supposed battery saving hacks like turning off GPS or limiting mail checking times. This is all with the default settings and wi-fi on. There are no Wi-fi devices in range at my work so not sure how often it checks.

But I wouldn't consider that a huge drain personally. Before this I had a Moto Q 9c and the battery on that was much much worse.
    I'm going to try both ways since I'm usually in the same environment on a daily basis. Probably the best way to find out either way.
    Thats what I did and I found out I get better battery life when I leave it on. Thats because sometimes when I would turn it off I would forget to turn it on.

When you are away from your trusted WiFi networks, each time you wake up the Pre after it has been asleep for a extended amount of time the WiFi radio will come on for a fraction of a second and do a quick check for any of your trusted WiFi networks then immediately goes back to sleep. This takes a couple of milliseconds and does not seem to use any juice at all.

This setup is different than every other smartphone I have used with WiFi. Usually leaving it on will drain the battery but thats not the case with the Pre.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    I read that it only helps your battery if a wifi connection is available? How does it help ur battery if it is constantly sending out a radio searching for a wifi connect that it does not find?

edit:Palm tech support stated that if you leave wifi on with no connection available, it will drain the battery faster.

I have found that if you have no apps open that require a wifi connection, wifi is idle. When you open up an active app, wifi does a quick search to see if known networks are available, and then shuts down if they are not. It will occasionally check to see if you are in range of a known network, but this takes less power than EVDO transmitting and receiving. The interesting thing is the most common wifi networks I have encountered that are usually open are called "linksys". When I am out and about in bigger city area's, I am usually connected to "linksys" since I added one the first time I found it.

I leave my wifi and bluetooth on 100% of the time and get good battery life. Usually one charge a day, and I use my phone a ton. Hope this helps.
    I use wifi at the office and at home but just leave it on all the time even when at other locations and haven't noticed a negative impact on battery life.
    I am fortunate to have wifi at work and home, so during a normal day, my wifi is on all day. But during the weekends, I will turn it off if I am away from the house for long periods of time.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I kill it between work and my office, it's a 30 min drive and i've noticed when leaving in the morning not turning it off by the time i'm at work i'm at 85%... with it off i'm still at 100% odd I know.
    Global Posts
    2,636 Global Posts
    I have it on all the time, even though I really only connect to wifi when I'm at home, mostly because I'm lazy. I haven't experienced any unacceptable battery life issues by doing this, so for now, laziness wins.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    It's on for me all the time whether I home or not.