Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    You guys are vastly overestimating the tech competence and awareness of the general public if you think this is a marketing disaster for Apple. They're a hardware company first and foremost profitwise. While the iTMS IS profitable, it's nowhere near as profitable as their hardware sales. That means they can't allow their software to be used for a competitor's devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by NDPTAL85 View Post
    You guys are vastly overestimating the tech competence and awareness of the general public if you think this is a marketing disaster for Apple. They're a hardware company first and foremost profitwise. While the iTMS IS profitable, it's nowhere near as profitable as their hardware sales. That means they can't allow their software to be used for a competitor's devices.
    They allowed it for years up until the Pre. There are plenty of devices that can sync with iTunes but aren't made by Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    They allowed it for years up until the Pre. There are plenty of devices that can sync with iTunes but aren't made by Apple.
    This is because they feel threatened by the pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeladisky View Post
    All: Please don't flame me for the following statement, but I think we are all forgetting one very huge thing... Apple created the ridiculous, somewhat encrypted, unintelligible file system for the iPods to keep people from messing around with it and preventing other software from sync'ing with it... let's face it, it makes it more difficult. That being said, iTunes was released as a way to try and force the amateur tech user, a category into which most consumers fall, to use it as the sole method and, by the way, to push the iTunes store into that same market. Apple's DRM also makes it more difficult, and unfortunately, our Pre cannot play Apple DRM encapsulated files. Therefore, and in conclusion, Apple had absolutely NO reason to allow the Pre to continue to sync with it free and clear, as there was no upside other than some potential brand recognition GoodWill - which, roughly translated into financese, means jack nada to top line Apple revenues.

Just as an FYI, all the music on the iTunes store is now DRM free, and will play just fine on a Pre.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123