Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    I bought my pre the third week of June (white box). I've had a few small issues (occasional slider shut off) with it, but very minor compared to what some of the folks here have gone through.

    So I was surprised when I received a phone call yesterday. The caller identified herself as a Palm rep. She said that they had identified a number of palm pre phones that had been shipped with duplicate IDs -- and mine was one of those. She was calling to get an address where they could send me a new pre. When I receive the package, I'm supposed to transfer everything to the new phone and send mine back to them in a mailer that they will provide.

    Does anyone know if this is something legit that is going on? I guess I will know better when (or if) I receive a package from them...

    I bought the TEP insurance from Sprint when I got my pre... does switching to a different pre have any impact on my insurance?
  2. tygern8r's Avatar
    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #2  
    Have you called Palm or Sprint to confirm?
  3. #3  
    Does sound a little strange, but then again they knew you had a pre. I'd think it would actually have been Sprint calling you though and not Palm directly. Maybe try giving Sprint a call and ask about it, if there is an issue with duplicate IDs or whatever I would think they would know about it.
  4.    #4  
    Yeah, I thought it was strange that the rep identified herself as being from Palm rather than from Sprint. That's what made me start to wonder about it...

    I didn't call to confirm. I figured I'd wait until I received the package (if I receive it at all) and then bring the whole thing to my Sprint store. But I figured if it WAS legit, someone here would probably know about it...

    I guess my main fear is that I'll receive a "replacement" that is a refurb or that has more issues than the one I already have... and if that is the case, I want to be sure that my insurance still applies
  5. #5  
    Once you get it type ##786# into the dialer and check the "RECONDATE" & "RECONSTATUS" the date should show up as "--/--/----" and the status as "no" this means that the phone is not refurbished.

    Other than wether the call is legit or not I would call Palm and followup on the issue.

    Good Luck
  6. majikTib's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    #6  
    Did you give them your address?

    I would have provided a work address to be safe. If another phone arrives, celebrate. If not, watch your back. Your address is one of the things many companies ask you to verify on your account when you call.

    At the minimum, you should get their name and phone number to be able to validate who it is calling.
  7. #7  
    I have read about this issue on another thread/forum/site. I don't really remember where but I know I read it.
  8.    #8  
    I gave them a business address... and told them that was what I was doing I know I should have written down a name/number but I wasn't in a place where that was possible.

    If/when I get the package, I'll post more...
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jennigrace View Post
    I gave them a business address... and told them that was what I was doing I know I should have written down a name/number but I wasn't in a place where that was possible.

    If/when I get the package, I'll post more...
    Just call Palm and ask them if they're doing something like that.
  10. #10  
    keep the one they send and see if they try to do followups to get the defective one back

    i've never heard of the manufacturer calling customers like this - ever. And it seems like something I should know if it was real, since I am in the service and repair department
  11.    #11  
    Interesting... Received the replacement phone today along with instructions to call Palm customer service.

    New phone is in same style box as my previous phone (white w/translucent yellow sleeve). Only visible difference is this time the pouch has "palm" kinda "branded" on the top of one side.

    The new phone doesn't feel quite as "tight" to me... but it isn't twisting badly. Haven't turned it on yet...

    At the moment, I'm on hold with Palm Support. I guess I'll post more when I get done...
  12.    #12  
    Just got off the phone with support. It was legit after all...

    Apparently, a number of phones were shipped with duplicate serial numbers. If you happened to get one of the dups, your phone could have issues... if two phones with the same serial number were active at the same time (and according to the rep, active at the same time within certain segments of the network), the phone would periodically power down for no apparent reason... and could do so at any time (not related at all to the slider issue).

    I was fortunate enough that I didn't have this issue in my home area... but I do remember having some random probs with shutdowns while I was traveling last week. I just wrote it off at time... figured I had accidentally hit the power button somehow or just let the battery run down too far... but now I'm wondering if some of the folks on this forum who are seeing random shutdowns aren't also the victims of this particular issue.

    The tech at Palm was very helpful and patient... and once I send back my old phone (w/their supplied fedex label) they will be sending me a touchstone charging kit. That's nice
  13. #13  
    glad it all worked out and wasn't a scam! Thanks for keeping everyone informed in case they get the call as well
  14. brewzer's Avatar
    Posts
    92 Posts
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jennigrace View Post
    Just got off the phone with support. It was legit after all...

    Apparently, a number of phones were shipped with duplicate serial numbers. If you happened to get one of the dups, your phone could have issues... if two phones with the same serial number were active at the same time (and according to the rep, active at the same time within certain segments of the network), the phone would periodically power down for no apparent reason... and could do so at any time (not related at all to the slider issue).

    I was fortunate enough that I didn't have this issue in my home area... but I do remember having some random probs with shutdowns while I was traveling last week. I just wrote it off at time... figured I had accidentally hit the power button somehow or just let the battery run down too far... but now I'm wondering if some of the folks on this forum who are seeing random shutdowns aren't also the victims of this particular issue.

    The tech at Palm was very helpful and patient... and once I send back my old phone (w/their supplied fedex label) they will be sending me a touchstone charging kit. That's nice


    That's cool of Palm for sure. It is also nice to see a company being proactive. It's obviously their mistake to begin with but it seems they are trying to address and admitting their msitake which companies often don't do.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewzer View Post
    [/B]
    That's cool of Palm for sure. It is also nice to see a company being proactive. It's obviously their mistake to begin with but it seems they are trying to address and admitting their msitake which companies often don't do.
    Yes... and it also explains why Palm was making the calls, not Sprint: it was truly a hardware manufacturing issue. I had thought it odd at first that a *Palm* rep was contacting me directly. I'm sure there were a lot of red faces at Palm when this issue was discovered Would have hated to be the Palm rep who had to break the news to Sprint :P
  16.    #16  
    One more interesting thing I came across as I was packing up my old pre...

    There is a difference in the "stock" pre batteries. My old pre had battery made in China with cells from Japan. The newer stock battery is made in China with cells from Korea. The plastic part of the battery is also slightly different... the little "feet" are just a little bit larger. I wonder if that was to combat the slider shut-off issue?

Posting Permissions