Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    when i try to update PRL on palm pre, it keeps complaining about airplane mode being on. It says turn off airplane mode to use the phone. but AM is off. I can update the network settings.

Is there a known issue with Update PRL on palm pre?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    just did it works fine for me make sure you have full bars before you try it.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffdc5 View Post
    just did it works fine for me make sure you have full bars before you try it.
    Thanks. I will try it when i am in very good coverage. Not sure why the network settings update work but not the PRL.
    There is an issue where if you try to update the PRL the radio resets so it is basically in airplane mode. The problem is the PRL update usually times out or fails before the radio is back on.

That being said, my launch day Pre has PRL 60652 which should be the latest so most likely your phone has the latest as well without needing to update.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    There is an issue where if you try to update the PRL the radio resets so it is basically in airplane mode. The problem is the PRL update usually times out or fails before the radio is back on.

That being said, my launch day Pre has PRL 60652 which should be the latest so most likely your phone has the latest as well without needing to update.
    That's what I have. does that mean prl update process went thru and since it is the latest, it didn't do anything but because of the radio reset issue, i get the airplane mode error?
    I noticed mine only gave me the "You're in airplane mode" error when I had wifi turned on. Make sure it's off and then it may work (or at least give you a different error msg!)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhindmon View Post
    I noticed mine only gave me the "You're in airplane mode" error when I had wifi turned on. Make sure it's off and then it may work (or at least give you a different error msg!)
    I've gotten the error with both wifi and 3g. Don't recall if I have tried a reboot to see if that makes a difference, might try that.
    I thought I was getting that "Airlplane mode" message because it had downloaded the new PRL and needed to recycle the radio to update it. So, it's not supposed to say that after a PRL update?
    Quote Originally Posted by cdbillups View Post
    I thought I was getting that "Airlplane mode" message because it had downloaded the new PRL and needed to recycle the radio to update it. So, it's not supposed to say that after a PRL update?
    Ya know, that could be what it is doing. Just seems weird that it is downloading and applying the PRL when it is the one that is already on the phone.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cdbillups View Post
    You are correct. Airplane mode is normal. The phone does this to cycle the radios after update.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    i hate roaming on this phone if it sees the faintest sprint signal it just goes back and forth killing my battery. Thank God sprint service is pretty good in NYc or that would bug me even more.
    I was getting the Airplane mode message, but then an error that PRL cannot be updated. Now, I'm not getting the Airplane mode message, but still the error. Hmm...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    My pre looses the ev and can not update the prl, but can do everything else, somehowe I am not getiing emails today. I went to a sprint store and the dude said my pre is a bad one is this true?
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    im getting the

"You need a network connection to your wireless service provider to Phone Preferences"

with wifi on and off.....

also ev icon shows and disappears
    Quote Originally Posted by lamboh View Post
    im getting the

"You need a network connection to your wireless service provider to Phone Preferences"

with wifi on and off.....

also ev icon shows and disappears
    Yep, I was getting the same thing. I guess it's a freak show the Pre goes through.

I went to Device Info and tapped More Info and scrolled down to the PRL and it shows 60653. which is the new PRL. The old one was 60652.

So it did update with showing that error.

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Yep, I was getting the same thing. I guess it's a freak show the Pre goes through.

I went to Device Info and tapped More Info and scrolled down to the PRL and it shows 60653. which is the new PRL. The old one was 60652.

So it did update with showing that error.

ha...same here..problem solved
    Question...my current PRL is 60652...So do I need to update my PRL to 60653?...thanks in advance for answer...oh..one more thing...would this be the reason my EVDO/1x bars fluctuate while I am not even moving?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffdc5 View Post
    i hate roaming on this phone if it sees the faintest sprint signal it just goes back and forth killing my battery.
    you could always try the "roam only" patch available here on these forums (which includes data)... at least it would prevent the switching back and forth and the battery drain.

Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    Question...my current PRL is 60652...So do I need to update my PRL to 60653?...thanks in advance for answer...oh..one more thing...would this be the reason my EVDO/1x bars fluctuate while I am not even moving?
    You can update the PRL (Prefered Roaming List) if you want to. If you never leave Sprint coverage, updating the PRL probably won't do anything for you. The PRL is a roaming contract between Sprint and non Sprint carriers.

The PRL has nothing to do with signal. You'll bounce between 1X and EV DO if you are in a bad coverage area. Or in an area of Sprint 1X and another carriers EV DO.

You can go to the Phone app and type ##EVDO# or ##3836# and tap Data Mode to select the data mode you want, to lessen the float between 1X and EV DO.

Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    You can update the PRL (Prefered Roaming List) if you want to. If you never leave Sprint coverage, updating the PRL probably won't do anything for you. The PRL is a roaming contract between Sprint and non Sprint carriers.

The PRL has nothing to do with signal. You'll bounce between 1X and EV DO if you are in a bad coverage area. Or in an area of Sprint 1X and another carriers EV DO.

You can go to the Phone app and type ##EVDO# or ##3836# and tap Data Mode to select the data mode you want, to lessen the float between 1X and EV DO.

If I mess with the data mode such as putting it on EVDO only then could miss calls. So what option are you suggesting?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast