Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    The reasons do not matter. I love the amazing device. I am not an ingrate. I don't know if it a Palm person, a Sprint person or both. This is a marketing matter and nothing else. ANY ***** should have foreseen that releasing a new device to early adopters and enthusiasts and adding NOTHING to the app catalog for five weeks is just plain stupid.
    Dang...everyone would have been happier if they'd have started with 24 and milked out the other ones on a weekly basis or something.
    I KNOW I can root and do homebrew etc but that's not the point.
    To top it all of they never give us any advance notice or any kind of idead of what's coming...
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    there is already a few threads about this. If you dont like the app store return your phone within the 30 days.
    I'd say you are responsible for not doing your research.

Anyone with any sense knew that because the SDK had not been released there would be little to no apps available upon release. The fact that there is 30 apps in the catalog right now is really pretty amazing. Its much more than was predicted by the pundits for this point of time. We did not even find out about Classic until April or May and that was a God send because now we literally thousands of apps that will run under classic.

I would say you should be happy because things are way ahead of schedule.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I'd say you are responsible for not doing your research.

Anyone with any sense knew that because the SDK had not been released there would be little to no apps available upon release. The fact that there is 30 apps in the catalog right now is really pretty amazing. Its much more than was predicted by the pundits for this point of time. We did not even find out about Classic until April or May and that was a God send because now we literally thousands of apps that will run under classic.

I would say you should be happy because things are way ahead of schedule.
    I have to disagree with you there. They are slacking. They only came out with two games with bugs. I know that there is the classic, but I just hate navigating in that thing compared to webos. I think that they could have added some really simple apps that really shouldn't take much to make. I have been checking the app catalog every week now expecting something new and check the most recent. The apps I find that are in the today part are the same damn apps but updated. Why are they focusing so much on updating these apps when they can make new ones. It is pretty aggravating. I am glad homebrew came into play since all I really wanted was solitaire.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    you do realize that palm is not making these apps right? they are 3rd party developers. go complain on their forums if you want them to make apps faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by LinT View Post
    you do realize that palm is not making these apps right? they are 3rd party developers. go complain on their forums if you want them to make apps faster.
    Just want to point out that in order for the apps to make it into the app catalog Palm has to approve them. So even if a developer makes an app, Palm can still hold it up.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Oops! Another whiner thread. I better go to the next post.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    I was pretty clear about that. Criticism is not necessarily whining and the point about holding up apps is great. They could have taken my 24 then weekly suggestion....AND....if it is so damned hard to do apps then why is the homebrew section growing so quickly when the official catalog has none.
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    +1
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Personally I'd much prefer that Palm worked on the stability and security of the phone FIRST and the apps later. I think once the 1.1 update is released, you'll see apps begin to be released. But seems like they want to wait for the major update before worrying about apps.

Everybody is not app crazy. I've downloaded two apps EVER. One was NFL Mobile Live on my Instinct (once they changed the original) and Pandora, which I just downloaded yesterday. I do expect that I'll download more apps once I get my Pre, but please give it a rest. You've had to go a whole month without new apps. OMG, the sky is falling
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hdhuntr View Post
    The reasons do not matter. I love the amazing device. I am not an ingrate. I don't know if it a Palm person, a Sprint person or both. This is a marketing matter and nothing else. ANY ***** should have foreseen that releasing a new device to early adopters and enthusiasts and adding NOTHING to the app catalog for five weeks is just plain stupid.
    Dang...everyone would have been happier if they'd have started with 24 and milked out the other ones on a weekly basis or something.
    I KNOW I can root and do homebrew etc but that's not the point.
    To top it all of they never give us any advance notice or any kind of idead of what's coming...
    I agree. This isn't a whiner post. I want to see this phone succeed but it's last to the dance (Iphone, Android) and needs its app store to gain momentum.

We've been getting lip service from Palm that they're doubling the early developer program every week. That's about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I expected that we'd see at least 1 app added to the store.

Don't jump down his throat. Palm is taking a long time for this.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    Personally I'd much prefer that Palm worked on the stability and security of the phone FIRST and the apps later. I think once the 1.1 update is released, you'll see apps begin to be released. But seems like they want to wait for the major update before worrying about apps.

Everybody is not app crazy. I've downloaded two apps EVER. One was NFL Mobile Live on my Instinct (once they changed the original) and Pandora, which I just downloaded yesterday. I do expect that I'll download more apps once I get my Pre, but please give it a rest. You've had to go a whole month without new apps. OMG, the sky is falling
    That's been my theory too. I have a strange feeling that the 1.1 update is key.

Regarding "app crazy", you just wait. Instinct was by no means Iphone, G1 or even Pre. There are many amazing things 3rd parties can do once they're allowed.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    i remember when they first iphone came out it has zero apps, the pre came out with over a dozen and it has the basic apps that people use constantly like twitter why is it such a big deal to wait for a few months. I rather palm work on making the os more stable and fixing things like the music player.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Does not take long for them to spring into action

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    The IPhone did not have apps or a store until over a year after it was released.

/thread
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    The SDK was just released. I think this thread just failed.
    I think every Pre owner would agree that we would love to see more apps.

Quote Originally Posted by sothrowd08 View Post
    They are slacking.
    Precisely whom do you belive to be slacking, Palm? That makes no sense because Palm doesn't write any of the software in the Catalog. So, if you intended 'They' to refer to Palm, this statement is neither true nor false because it's nonsense.

On the other hand, if you intended 'They' to refer to the developer community at large, then you have still made an absurd statement. And if you can't figure out why, well, I refuse to explain such simple reasoning or cite any sort of example.

The burden of rejoinder is now yours. Do your best.
    I think that the frozen App Catalog is a blessing in disguise.

That is what allowed the Homebrew to take off.

Palm still is not ready to take money for an app but a developer could set up just like Classic did. Many are already posting a Donate link.

By freezing the App Catalog at 30, Palm just created 1,000 competitors and our own Homebrew is the best example yet.

Will it still matter someday when the App Catalog is opened up?

- Craig
    Just be patient dude. It's not really that big of a deal. The apps will be here sooner rather than later. If the biggest thing you have to worry about in your life is the fact that you don't have any apps, I think your doing fine.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast