Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I'm a little late to the game since I just got my palm pre and discovered the wonders of the oreo....

So I gave this crazy stunt a try and to be frank, it's a scary process and requires steady hands.

The oreo hasn't gone away completely, you can still force it with your hand, but when using it, swiping in the gesture area, it's hardly noticeable.

It's just a little disappointing that some of us have to go through these kinds of lengths to make a product work as it should.
    Well variations in the manufacture process (allowed deviation for certain things like tightening of screws) can result in some being looser than others. But honestly the whole use of the word oreo for cases where it is within normal deviation misrepresents what really is going on. When the oreo idea 1st came about the ones labeled as such had extreme twist like half inch or something like that. For most it is not nearly like that. A about 5mm would be normal and for some tightening the screws reduces it especially if they may be slightly more than 5mm. It seems so common place for everyone to use the oreo term regardless of how little the twist is. Of course this doesn't mean the slider could have been made slightly better so that there is only 1-2mm but I personally wish people would provide the amount of twist in their posts. Even though at this stage most people probably dismiss it when people use the term figuring they don't have an out of the ordinary amount of give.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle3 View Post
    PS--I now have theories about what is causing the oreo on so many phones. Any lateral stress on the screen portion of the phone will essentially bend these flanges. On my first Pre I routinely opened and closed the phone with only 1 hand (my left hand). Opening I would basically "thumb" the screen up, but to close I would put my thumb more on the side of the screen and leverage it down. The flange support had to support all of this stress - hence the oreo. With my new Pre, I know exactly where my phone hit the concrete first (very small ding) and it fits perfectly with the theory that the fall "bent" the flange support and loosened the connection between the flange and the track.
    I can confirm this, my first phone had to be replaced but my second one was perfect, then my friend had wanted to see it so instead of just asking me, he grabbed it from my hand, taking only the top part, while I was still holding onto the bottom of it. It now has a mild oreo effect only in the counter-clockwise direction, which is the direction of which stress was put on it.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
    I can confirm this, my first phone had to be replaced but my second one was perfect, then my friend had wanted to see it so instead of just asking me, he grabbed it from my hand, taking only the top part, while I was still holding onto the bottom of it. It now has a mild oreo effect only in the counter-clockwise direction, which is the direction of which stress was put on it.
    Nice friend you have there...
    I loved his idea and I looked at the track myself. I added a tiny piece of electrical tape and it got rid of the oreo with a lot less risk! Even if the tape "moves" or comes off the installation takes a tiny bit of time and is pretty easy with no risk! Thanks for the idea!
    In my opinion.. the main problem is the bad design. Between left rail rail and the bottom part, there is a gap. I think less then a mm.. but it cause the oreo effect when slider close even not much, around 2mm. so if we can eliminate the gap between the left rail and the bottom part, I guess the oreo effect wil gone.. but duck tape, or soft rubber won't help. need something harder, but thin...I don't know what i need here.... hard... but thin..
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    ...but duck tape, or soft rubber won't help. need something harder, but thin...I don't know what i need here.... hard... but thin..
    a lot of chit chat talking has been made about (here for instance http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...quality-2.html), but me and also c_man and many other friends cannot find any suitable material.
    I'm telling you this just because I'm really interested
    If you got any news, please ring the bell
    thank you
    here is my palm pre oreo fix

worked great, less visible
    and easy to do

youtube video

original post
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-oreofix.html
    Hey guys, So my phone finally Oreo'd after dropping it and I set out to find the root cause not just a quick fix. My post here http://forums.precentral.net/2402734-post15.html describes what I feel to be the engineering cause of Oreo and solution to that and suck open sliders. I will be honest, this phone is not for beginners to tinker with. Anyway my root cause explains why some phones Oreo in a clockwise or counter clockwise direction depending on what aft inner guide rail has loosened or broken free completely after a drop. The phone must be taken apart substantially to view these parts (they are under the metal I felt the quality of the metal rails to be very strong and not part of the problem at all.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    larryflynt2K.....I just did the superglue part of your fix and it worked like a charm. Can't see it and you'd only notice it is there if I point it out to you. I was shocked by the simplicity of this fix. I was a little scared that I'd ruin my phone or glue it shut, so I just left it open for a long time. THANKS! I love my phone again.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234