Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iclimb513 View Post
    When you say "spread some glue on the SIDE OF THE TRACK" you mean on the outside, and not on the side facing toward the center of the phone? Also, you're just doing the one side with the smaller flange?
    Yes. You can't really access the side of the rail toward the center of the phone. I focused on the side between the track and the L-shaped flange. I only did this on the side with the small flange on my phone because it appeared that was the only one that was bent/damaged. The larger flange didn't move at all (hence, my oreo was only in a screen-clockwise direction)

Quote Originally Posted by ranzchic View Post
    If you put too much glue in, can't you just use a solvent like alcohol to loosen it up a bit?
    I wouldn't use a solvent. I'd just use an exacto knife to shave off a tiny bit. I'd get really weary about putting any type of solvent/liquid on the innards of my $500+ Pre

Quote Originally Posted by poopsie View Post
    So hot glue is dreaded but super glue is the fix all?
    Well, I didn't want 2 obvious drops of glue on the edges of my keyboard. I also don't think the hot glue method attacks the root of the problem, imho. If you're more comfortable with the hot glue method and it doesn't bother you - more power to ya. After doing my procedure with super glue on the track, my oreo is completely gone and the phone is very stable in the closed position.

Quote Originally Posted by sothrowd08 View Post
    The flange that you call still has the play that my oreo phones had, but it seems that the part behind the battery is much tighter and holds the two pieces really snug. I think there is a more complicated but a correct way of doing this. I think this requires that you get underneath it all.
    I would tend to agree with you - but I don't have the balls to completely disassemble my Pre. I felt I correctly identified the problem area and IF I were to take the phone apart, I would still be focusing on this area. Like I said, I think the root of the problem is the thinness of the metal for the metal flange piece. Over time, lateral forces on the screen slightly bend these flange pieces and in the closed position they are not as tight as they used to be.

To this end, it is entirely possible that after doing my super gluing procedure the oreo could come back if you damage/bend the flanges more. I did not use enough glue to further bend the flanges, just enough to close the gap that existed. I know now to not drop my pre and to be conscious to open and close with 2 thumbs to minimize life-long lateral stress on the flange pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    I would like to see a video on the procedure.
    I might be fixing a friend's phone, but it's such tight quarters I have no idea how I'd get a camera angle in there to have anything meaningful to show. I can try...

Quote Originally Posted by atoy74 View Post
    Are you saying to apply the glue to the tiny gap between the rails? If so, we're talking about a minuscule amount of glue.
    It's the gap between the rail and the L-shaped flange. Yes it is seriously a minuscule amount of glue - but just enough to inhibit the oreo twisting.

Quote Originally Posted by tripsbacks View Post
    I would assume over time that the glued area would become worn and would need to be applied again?
    I think the bigger concern is the flange bending again/more. Given I now know what the flange is made of and how it's assembled, I'm going to modify how I open/close my Pre to minimize the stress on these parts. It's possible the glue will wear down, but I'd be shocked if there was that much friction on this part of the track.

I agree with other posts that I should NOT need to superglue my $500 smartphone to be happy with it. I think these track issues are probably being addressed regardless if the information is public or not. They just need to beef up the flange materials. To me, this super glue fix may be a permanent fix OR it may just get me another 6 months out of my current phone at which time we'll have reports of better manufactured Pre's coming off the line and I'll envoke my TEP for an updated phone. Time will only tell.... However, I'm happy now with no oreo and minimal effort to fix the problem
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Last night after I read this, I read another thread where someone said to put the phone face down and use a very small screwdriver or punch tool and place it on top of the flange and give it some light raps, thus bending it back downward and in better contact. This worked to remove most of the problem for me. I am going to try your method too and add just a bit of glue. DIY things like this don't scare me.

Will post results.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    My repair center tightened my phone for me. I don't know how and they won't tell me.
    where is your repair center? I work in the bronx and need to have my pre tightened.
    Vis
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Actually, I'm thinking I may try the hot glue dots on the keyboard edges first. Though there would be a bit of substance visible on the phone, I can see how this would provide a lot more leverage to glose the gap on the back and tighten everything down. I would think the glue dots could be easily rubbed off the phone leaving no trace if need be.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    My repair center tightened my phone for me. I don't know how and they won't tell me.
    my repair center said they cant do anything to tighten my pre. this was a week ago, perhaps they have learned something new. I might go back and give them another shot.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iclimb513 View Post
    Actually, I'm thinking I may try the hot glue dots on the keyboard edges first. Though there would be a bit of substance visible on the phone, I can see how this would provide a lot more leverage to glose the gap on the back and tighten everything down. I would think the glue dots could be easily rubbed off the phone leaving no trace if need be.
    In my opinion, the two different procedures solve different problems. Think of the physics behind it. Hot glue dots will solve the gapping between the two halves and possibly improve the rotational motion as a side effect. The hot glue dots didn't impress me because you are basically wedging the bottom half up to close the gap on the top half - doesn't solve the source of the problem.

In contrast, pure rotational movement is a function of the track/slider mechanism as I have described. Take your battery out and reproduce the oreo movement and you'll understand what I mean. Closing the tiny gap between the flange and the side of the track only at the spot where the flange is when the screen is closed fixes the rotational component of the defect.

Make sure you know what you're trying to fix before deciding which procedure to go with. I have no splitting between top and bottom pieces so the hot-glue option wasn't even a consideration for me.
    If you remove the screws, your warranty is void. And no - a sprint store cannot do this for you. Currently we are not allowed to open the Pre, and if the Pre has been opened before, you check the notes on the account to see if it was another store, if there are no notes, then its void because we assume the customer took the phone apart, which is a no-no.

My advice - dont mess with it. Just hang on to your oreo until they fix bugs/issues with the refirbs, then get it replaced under your warranty while it's still good.
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    my repair center said they cant do anything to tighten my pre. this was a week ago, perhaps they have learned something new. I might go back and give them another shot.

Stores can get into deep trouble for opening the Pre. We are specifically told NOT to open it (yet).
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Thanks! I had been thinking of disassembling mine to look for ways to tighten the small slider for a couple of days now. Mine isn't too bad, but I'm a perfectionist anyway. I was thinking of bending it back, but couldn't think of how to do it without removing stickers that will void the warrantee. I just may try this!
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle3 View Post
    In my opinion, the two different procedures solve different problems. Think of the physics behind it. Hot glue dots will solve the gapping between the two halves and possibly improve the rotational motion as a side effect. The hot glue dots didn't impress me because you are basically wedging the bottom half up to close the gap on the top half - doesn't solve the source of the problem.

In contrast, pure rotational movement is a function of the track/slider mechanism as I have described. Take your battery out and reproduce the oreo movement and you'll understand what I mean. Closing the tiny gap between the flange and the side of the track only at the spot where the flange is when the screen is closed fixes the rotational component of the defect.

Make sure you know what you're trying to fix before deciding which procedure to go with. I have no splitting between top and bottom pieces so the hot-glue option wasn't even a consideration for me.
    Hmmm, I see what you're saying.

I'll think on it a while. Honestly, the flange tapping with the screwdriver trick worked enough that maybe I don't have to do anything more.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Thanks to the OP I was able to fix my SMALL wobbly problem on one of my pres. I your screen moves from left to right you want to do this SIMPLE FIX.

- Just use some good sticking tape (I used duct tape) and cut small thin pieces.

- Take of battery cover and battery.

- Lift up the screen, now with the BACK facing you, put 2 of the tapes on the TOP LEFT side of the rail.

- Close the slider and if the tape sticked your good to go. Picture with RED lines show where to add the tape. Hope OP does not mind that I used his pic.

You may need 1-3 pieces of tape depending on your gap.

This worked out REALL WELL.

THANKS OP!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Btw, what this does is that it PUSHES UP on the right side of the screen which cause the left top screen to close! So the TAB at the bottom (which you may know are to small) now hits the top screen to hold it from moving side to side. This is a very nice and simple fix!
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preman View Post
    Thanks to the OP I was able to fix my SMALL wobbly problem on one of my pres. I your screen moves from left to right you want to do this SIMPLE FIX.

- Just use some good sticking tape (I used duct tape) and cut small thin pieces.

- Take of battery cover and battery.

- Lift up the screen, now with the BACK facing you, put 2 of the tapes on the TOP LEFT side of the rail.

- Close the slider and if the tape sticked your good to go. Picture with RED lines show where to add the tape. Hope OP does not mind that I used his pic.

You may need 1-3 pieces of tape depending on your gap.

This worked out REALL WELL.

THANKS OP!

Are you serious?!? Not to be rude, but this doesn't seem like it will work at all. Duct tape is far too thick & where you are suggesting to tape would inhibit the phone from opening.

I'm lost...
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    P.S. I just notice I been THANKED 25 times!
    Thank you everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle3 View Post
    Are you serious?!? Not to be rude, but this doesn't seem like it will work at all. Duct tape is far too thick & where you are suggesting to tape would inhibit the phone from opening.

I'm lost...

2nd that!
    Thank you everyone!
    Interestingly enough, it was not for your recent post here.
    Thank you everyone!
    But only offered 1 Thank yourself. C'mon, share the love.
    This did minimize if not fix the problem, however I think its the thicker top and non slippery texture on the rails that stops the pre from moving.
    I actually came up with the EXACT same idea, same thought process and everything, and I haven't done it yet. I was actually about to make this very thread, reason I was getting on the forums tonight, to make a thread about the idea, then attempt it, and post my results, lol, but you beat me to it. Apparently great minds think alike (great minds being those smart enough to choose the Pre!)
    also I thought of trying to lightly hammer on it as well, but I didn't know how strong the parts were and so didn't want to have to use too much pressure. Plus, the more times you bend the metal, isn't it going to be easier for it to get bent back out once the metal is slightly stretched (weaker)?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast