Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I've read about the slider resets, but I'm having problems where I'll take my phone out of my pocket and it's completely shut down. Pushing the power button boots it up and everything is fine, but I've missed calls, texts, etc. Today, it even shut down while I was on the phone, with no warning, and without resetting itself until I pushed the power button.

Anyone else seeing this? Known issue? Something I should return my Pre because of? I already returned two due to display issues, and am not looking forward to spinning the Wheel of Defects again.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I would return it. I do not have those issues on my palm. Do you have a case or a skin on it that could be causing these issues?
    Quote Originally Posted by tonycpsu View Post
    I've read about the slider resets, but I'm having problems where I'll take my phone out of my pocket and it's completely shut down. Pushing the power button boots it up and everything is fine, but I've missed calls, texts, etc. Today, it even shut down while I was on the phone, with no warning, and without resetting itself until I pushed the power button.

Anyone else seeing this? Known issue? Something I should return my Pre because of? I already returned two due to display issues, and am not looking forward to spinning the Wheel of Defects again.
    it might be that ur battery is falling out of place when u take it out of ur pocket or when u put it in...hu knows take it back and maybe its the battery....that has never happened to me...but ive heard of many different kind of fixes for this
    Mine shuts down somewhat randomly too. But, it seems to happen most after its been in use for a while, such as playing music through bluetooth earphones for an hour. It gets hot after that amount of use and it seems like any bump or vibration turns it off. I am debating whether to return it for a replacement too. I have already returned one that turned off with any little bump whether hot or not.
    thats really weird...ever since ive gotten mine launch day...never had a shutdown or reboot by itself
    I had this problem a few days ago for the first time too. It kept shutting down (and not turning back on). Sometimes it would try to turn on but would shut down after about 45 seconds. I wasnt sliding the keyboard or doing anything. So I took the battery off for about 15 minutes and put it back in and its been fine ever since.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    My wife had the same problem, not resets from moving the slider but just randomly shutting off at different points during the day. We exchanged it.
    My Pre has the same problem. It has never happened to me while I was using the phone but has happened at various lengths after recharging the battery. I have done battery pulls which did not help. I am currently inline for a replacement. Hopefully the next one will be good.
    I think your battery is probably loose.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evilduckster View Post
    But, doesn't the loose battery result in a reset, not a power off? Every time this has happened to me, I've had to push the power button to start my Pre up again. Unless the act of pushing the power button somehow re-seats the battery properly, which seems unlikely to me...
    Quote Originally Posted by evilduckster View Post
    it's not a loose battery issue, i've had i happen a couple times when they phone was untouched
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkMoar View Post
    it's not a loose battery issue, i've had i happen a couple times when they phone was untouched
    take it in to c wuts up with it...maybe a replacement battery or pre is wut you need.

The same thing was happening with my Pre. They game me a new one no problems so far.
    The battery issue is a joke for the most part, with my phone it happens when I do the slider sometimes, and sometimes by it self, plus the slider is hit or miss, it doesnt do it all the time, or often enough to be a battery issue. It stopped after the 1.04 update then all a sudden started again. Most of the time when its off in your pocket its because you just slid the phone, and the screen goes black (you think its because of the timer) but when you pull it out next its completely off. I dont close the slider violently either. Just normal, sometimes even softly

The same thing was happening with my Pre. Took it back to the store and received a new one. No issues with this one.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Mine will randomly shut down as well as when sliding the phone closed. I'll just get a big white icon of a battery with a "?" in the middle when I try to turn the phone back on. I tap the door and try it again and it will normally turn back on. The weirdest one I was able to get a screen shot of, the phone was at 67% then I get the notification that the battery is at 5% and is about to power down. I've had this one for about three weeks and Sunday was the first time I had this problem.

Unknown_2009-13-07_111212.png

Unknown_2009-13-07_111420.png
    I yelled at my kids for messing with my phone the other day but they said they didn't touch it... It was sitting next to the computer, I came back to get it an hour later and it was off, I tried the power button and that didn't work so I popped out the battery for a second and it booted up
    I have had a perfect pre since launch and I hope this was a one time deal.

Oh yeah, sorry boys
    Last edited by genEric122; 07/16/2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: a word was censored and the edit made it look far worse than the word itself
    I had this exact same issue.

Take it back and get a replacement unit. That's what I did.
    I started a thread on this a while ago:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hardwar...n-reboots.html

However at the time I mistakenly thought it was restarting, it wasn't. It just randomly turned off and only turned on when I held down the power button. I've since got a replacement and at least for the last 5 days hasn't randomly shut down. This is not a battery issue, I've had that problem too and they are not related.

Get a replacement be adamant to whoever you talk to at Sprint that this is not a battery issue.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I started a thread on this a while ago:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hardwar...n-reboots.html

However at the time I mistakenly thought it was restarting, it wasn't. It just randomly turned off and only turned on when I held down the power button. I've since got a replacement and at least for the last 5 days hasn't randomly shut down. This is not a battery issue, I've had that problem too and they are not related.

Get a replacement be adamant to whoever you talk to at Sprint that this is not a battery issue.
    Yep. Return it, like I did mine. Would shut off a couple of times a day, generally from being in my pocket and me walking around. I think I pinpointed it to one day when I shut the slider down from the top a little too hard. Must of knocked something loose. Had to take it in twice, the 2nd time I was like "The phone was just on across the street", and they gave me one (albeit used, and with oreo, but it hasn't shutdown and I'm not picky, so I'm cool).
    Bok
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast