Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1.    #1  
    Let me preface this by stating that I have had pretty good battery life on my pre since after the first week of use. But today, out of nowhere, my battery drained quickly and I can't figure out why.

    I have followed all of the better battery life recommendations. So wifi and bluetooth are off. Emails are pushed only hourly, the screenlight is down as low as it goes, etc.

    I took my kid to the new Harry Potter movie this afternoon. Phone had been on the charger until 12 noon. It was at a full charge. I didn't use the phone at all today except to check a few emails. Went to the movie and used the mute button to mute sounds (which Sprint kindly reminded us to do before the previews like at least 5 times).

    We came out of the movie and it was pouring out so we walked around the mall for like an hour. I checked my emails -- made no calls-- sent no messages. I didn't even bother to look at the battery life indicator because I assumed that I probably had some good battery life left as I hadn't used the phone all day.

    We drove home, I went to check my notifications and holy cr@p! The battery was down to 27 percent! This was at 7PM. So between 12 noon and 7PM my battery drained inexplicably.

    Any ideas? Certainly the mute switch didn't kill the battery? I can't figure out what caused the drain. Any and all advice would be appreciated
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    Let me preface this by stating that I have had pretty good battery life on my pre since after the first week of use. But today, out of nowhere, my battery drained quickly and I can't figure out why.

    I have followed all of the better battery life recommendations. So wifi and bluetooth are off. Emails are pushed only hourly, the screenlight is down as low as it goes, etc.

    I took my kid to the new Harry Potter movie this afternoon. Phone had been on the charger until 12 noon. It was at a full charge. I didn't use the phone at all today except to check a few emails. Went to the movie and used the mute button to mute sounds (which Sprint kindly reminded us to do before the previews like at least 5 times).

    We came out of the movie and it was pouring out so we walked around the mall for like an hour. I checked my emails -- made no calls-- sent no messages. I didn't even bother to look at the battery life indicator because I assumed that I probably had some good battery life left as I hadn't used the phone all day.

    We drove home, I went to check my notifications and holy cr@p! The battery was down to 27 percent! This was at 7PM. So between 12 noon and 7PM my battery drained inexplicably.

    Any ideas? Certainly the mute switch didn't kill the battery? I can't figure out what caused the drain. Any and all advice would be appreciated
    You were probably in a bad signal area and that would def do the trick :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    iJaculate somewhere else
  3. #3  
    <-- agrees.

    Even switching from EVDO-A to regular EVDO can drain it a little. If your going from 1x to no data, it will drain it even faster.

    My parents live kind of out in the country, when I visit them I have to turn "On Airplane mode", otherwise my phone will continuously search for some sort of signal.

    Sounds like you were just out and about in a normal location setting ( not out in the boonies ), so that kinda sucks. But I too would guess its signal searching/changing.
  4.    #4  
    I was across the street from a Sprint Corporate store. The signal is always great there. I wonder if the theater itself somehow blocked the signal?
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by NurseNTexas View Post
    <-- agrees.

    Even switching from EVDO-A to regular EVDO can drain it a little. If your going from 1x to no data, it will drain it even faster.

    My parents live kind of out in the country, when I visit them I have to turn "On Airplane mode", otherwise my phone will continuously search for some sort of signal.

    Sounds like you were just out and about in a normal location setting ( not out in the boonies ), so that kinda sucks. But I too would guess its signal searching/changing.
    very tru
  6. #6  
    That happens to my Moto Razr 3 phone from time to time for 1 or 2 days in a row and then it goes back to normal battery life. I have the signal fade alert on and don't hear it go in and out and have a strong signal always at home and work. It's just a strange phenomenon. When I get my Pre, I will be able to use the USB to charge from my PC at work.
  7. #7  
    I'd guess that you had really bad reception in the theater. Next time you go there, check out how your signal is.
  8. DSPKweb's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    #8  
    Would agree that it was probably the theater if you haven't had issues before.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  9. #9  
    Agree with those above. Another thing, did you happen to have GPS and/or location services turned on? Those don't help with battery life either.
  10. rmbwebs's Avatar
    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    I was across the street from a Sprint Corporate store. The signal is always great there. I wonder if the theater itself somehow blocked the signal?
    I wouldn't expect the little transmitter inside the store to go across the street and through the theater.
  11. rfs830's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    #11  
    I am now just starting to have the same problem. Im on my second pre and it was working great. Starting yesterday morning I had a full charge then 3 hrs later it said I was down to 20%. So i plug it up and i fell the battery getting hot while charging. I hope I dont have to get a new pre again. Love the os but phone wise this has been the worst phone I have ever had.
  12. Siraris's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    #12  
    I am having this problem as well. I left the office at 4:30 yesterday with something like 65% battery (I was marveling at how great it was) and around 2 hours later, it was at 25% with no usage!
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    I was across the street from a Sprint Corporate store. The signal is always great there. I wonder if the theater itself somehow blocked the signal?
    I've read somewhere that this is commonplace nowadays. Keeps.the chatter down during movies_ and forces rude people to take it outside. Definitely not good for considerate people's batteries though.
  14. #14  
    Maybe it was something no one's mentioned yet: the movie you saw! I'm going to see Harry Potter tonight, I'll try to replicate your experience and let you know what happens.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    I was across the street from a Sprint Corporate store. The signal is always great there. I wonder if the theater itself somehow blocked the signal?
    They may not have blocked it on purpose but many strip malls and theaters are really just big metal boxes. These are basically Faraday cages that block most of the signal. The phone ramps up to full cell power trying to get a signal out. Normally, the cell power is only a fraction of that amount.

    Simple thing is that in a theater they ask you to turn off electronics devices. Just do the Airplane Mode On.

    Also look through some of the other Improving Battery Life tips. There are a lot of other things you can do.

    - Craig
  16. #16  
    Sorry for sounding like a noob, but why would a bad signal drain the battery??
    ______________________________
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by algee650 View Post
    Sorry for sounding like a noob, but why would a bad signal drain the battery??
    bc the pre is constantly looking for a good signal...so if u have low signal the pre is gonna use the battery to constantly keep a good signal...thats just how it works
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by stronglikedan View Post
    I've read somewhere that this is commonplace nowadays. Keeps.the chatter down during movies_ and forces rude people to take it outside. Definitely not good for considerate people's batteries though.
    Active cell phone jamming is very illegal in the United States, I highly doubt any movie theater is risking it. The construction of a building, however, can be a very effective block against cell phone signals all on its own. They're not doing it on purpose, it's just that buildings block signal, simple as that.

    Quote Originally Posted by algee650 View Post
    Sorry for sounding like a noob, but why would a bad signal drain the battery??
    Cell phone transmitters/receivers use the most energy when acquiring a signal and searching for a signal. Sitting there idle just transmitting "I'm still here" to the tower takes very little energy, but looking for a new tower takes a lot of energy. The phone will turn up its receiver power, and therefore its range and sensitivity, to try ti find a signal, but when it has great signal, it can turn down its transmitter/receiver power and sensitivity to save battery.

    Also if it's switching back and forth between networks, it's having to transmit a lot more data. Establishing the new connection every time it switches networks takes a lot more energy than just sitting there.
  19. rfs830's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    #19  
    i just tested my battery again. I unhooked it at 3pm with a full charge. just before 6pm i was at 20% battery life. I dont know what happened but this just started. Plus now when I plug my phone into charge it the battery get real hot now. I going to have to take this one back or something. Anyone else having that problem also?
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by rfs830 View Post
    i just tested my battery again. I unhooked it at 3pm with a full charge. just before 6pm i was at 20% battery life. I dont know what happened but this just started. Plus now when I plug my phone into charge it the battery get real hot now. I going to have to take this one back or something. Anyone else having that problem also?
    nope never had that problem...you should take it in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions