Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I don't care about iTunes. I use the MP3 format -- works fine with my Sandisk Sansa and the Kenwood stereo in my car.
    The Pre was NEVER guaranteed to work with iTunes. It certainly wasn't something that I wanted or expected. The fact that it worked at all was cool and a pretty good shot at A$$le. The fact that it is now NOT working doesn't impact me and it never will. If you have a Pre you should not expect it to work with iTunes and should definitely not complain if it fails to do so.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    I care.

My girlfriend likes this feature on our Pres. When she is happy with her devices, I am happy because I dont have to go and 'fix' things.

For now I will be making sure she doesnt run software update and keep iTunes at 8.2.0. For the future, I hope Palm continues to workaround the Apple block.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Are you saying if we were a family of iPod users (using iTunes) that we would need a computer for each iPod?
    No no, It's just that you can only use one computer with your device-- You can't go to your friend's house and use his computer with your device, you can't go to the library and use that computer with your device. If a family of four has four ipods and one computer- no problem. If that family has four ipods and four computers, then they all have to use the computer they originally activated the device with. I really hope some of that made sense. It's past my bedtime.

(edited to add: below is just a general statement, not in reply to anyone in particular)

Sometimes I assume that most people are at least as smart/educated as I am and that most people know things, such as file systems for example. Then I'm always shocked by the fact that most people are, in fact, complete idiots. So yeah, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there are a ton of people running around completely unaware of how to put music on their Pre outside of itunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    I care.

My girlfriend likes this feature on our Pres. When she is happy with her devices, I am happy because I dont have to go and 'fix' things.

For now I will be making sure she doesnt run software update and keep iTunes at 8.2.0. For the future, I hope Palm continues to workaround the Apple block.
    if its a issue with your girl try
    downloading a older itunes verison
    delete the new one
    restart the computer
    install the old one and dont upgrade if it asks
    try this for older itunes
    Old Version of iTunes Download

using my acer aspire tethered to my palm pre
    I don't want to rationalize, there are users who will be affected by this, iTunes power users who have dozens of playlists and tons of music. I'd be surprised, though, if many of them really took the chance with the Pre, and were willing to live with its mediocre player in the first place. Again, there are some, but probably not many. Music playback is secondary for Pre buyers in what they see as a consolidated device. And if they must have the iPod experience, then they probably are still using their old iPod and will be doing fine. It's just hard to see that type of user seriously abandoning their iPod even if they are willing to try the Pre as a phone.

I carried an iPod Nano when I had my Treo and split music playback between it and the Centro, because the Centro had the decent pTunes. I started using my phone as my player exclusively with the G1, which obviously had nothing to do with iTunes. It didn't bother me.

What Palm should do, is the same thing they have done with webOS all around: find a good open source app, maybe Songbird, and write a plugin for it. That would be good enough for the Pre.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    I never automatically update iTunes. I was happily using version 7.2 until I wanted to purchase some TV show episodes and had to update to play them. Too many issues with the updates in the past...I just leave them alone!

I have an iPod so I do have iTunes...mostly because I haven't wanted to have to set up another program for podcasts. But I also use MediaMonkey or Floola (excellent freeware program that can run from the iPod).

iTunes isn't necessary...mostly just convenient...
    I have a MBP. I don't use itunes - never have.
    Just call me Berd.
    Originally posted by bryanharig:
    I care.

For now I will be making sure she doesn't run software update and keep iTunes at 8.2.0. For the future, I hope Palm continues to workaround the Apple block.
    I liked the Media sync feature also, but once I discovered ToySync posted in "Sync your Palm Pre (Backup Option)" thread, I stopped using it. Syncing everything on your Pre allows you to see or remove all media files on your Pre instead of having them hidden on the device.
  10. enjoyingsilence
    First of all, it is possible to take your iPod, and sync it to your friend's library and get music from their computer.

Second of all, iTunes music is no longer laced with DRM. For existing music, it's not hard to strip the DRM from music you already bought. Tho it's a grey area of legality, not for discussion in this forum.

Third of all, I am not an Apple Fan Boi, and it's been 2 years since I've owned an iPod. However, I do use a Mac.

Fourth. Honestly, this is unreal. I feel robbed. And not in the monetary sense.

Palm knew good & well this would happen. Surely in the conference room, when the executives were discussing the new features, and the topic of "methods of media sync" came up - Mr Jon Rubinstein (as a former Apple Exec, responsible for the creation of the iPod, and I'm sure a LARGE hand in the creation of it's parent software product - iTunes) said why not iTunes? So, the programmers found a loophole, however the executives knew good and well, Apple wouldn't like it, and could (easily) block it.

The Palm Pre's iTunes Media Sync software was marketed as their solution to this issues, and put forth as the "solution for those who manage their music library with iTunes [sic: already] and wanted seamless integration.

Palm (and Sprint, by default, as the exclusive carrier the Pre is available thru, in the US) wrongfully marketed this feature, in order to boost sales of the Palm Pre.

Now, with the feature disabled, we {Pre Users} are left to

"open source software" - DoubleTwist (and the like),
    dragging and dropping our music, which does NOT copy playlist information - generated in the iTunes Music Library.xml file
    or PURCHASING The Missing Sync from Mark/Space Software for 40.00.

All 3 of the above are unacceptable solutions, for a feature that was "included with our phones". In the total number of Pre Users, it's a small percentage of people who will know of, or even use the open source solutions like mediamonkey, or doubletwist.

I firmly believe many people who purchased the Palm Pre, weighed the idea of synchronisation with iTunes as a major factor when they were contemplating the initial purchase. Obviously, for the majority of users - this was not the SOLE feature that brought them to purchase it, however, surely, it was a 'big deal', like "oh,,,, that's nice... real nice.."

Users of this forum aren't the MAJOR number of Pre users. We're just the ones who use the forum. A small percentage of Pre users. The larger percentage - don't use the forum.

Neither Palm or Sprint are in the Public Relations or Financial position to handle bad press regarding any situation, ESPECIALLY this.

Aside from the wrongful use of marketing, clearly for personal gain, this is also a personal issue. As a Mac user, I am NOT an Apple Fan Boi. I loathe the iPhone. And will not spend the $$$ for an iPod.

Some of you who have posted in this thread, tend to forget - RIM/Blackberry has a program referred to as BlackBerry Media Sync, which fully synchronizes with iTunes (including the latest version) by utilizing the iTunes Music Library.xml file & the folders your music is in, something which Apple cannot block access to. I believe it also copies album art, without generating a bunch of folders containing pictures.

Using RIM/BlackBerry Media Sync does not cause iTunes to open, nor does it masquerade as an iPod. It is it's own program.

Palm SHOULD have developed a program similar to this, and Apple would not have been unhappy.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    The album art issue has nothing to do with iTunes or the way the Pre sync's music. The problem is that you can't specify which folders contain your music and which contain pictures. The Pre just automatically searches the entire memory for media files and adds them to the picture and music libraries on its own. It sees the album art the same as it would see another picture that you took with the phone. It's not creating "a bunch of folders containing pictures." Those folders are just the folders that the music is in, which depends on how you have your music organized.

And what's to say that there isn't a similar program to Blackberry Media Sync in the works from Palm? The phone is still very new and some features are lacking but they will come in time. Anyway I hardly think this is a dealbreaking issue for very many people, and if they only bought the Pre for its iTunes syncing ability, they probably bought the wrong phone in the first place.

And someone earlier in the thread talked about how most users aren't advanced and one even asked what the gesture area was for. I'm sorry but even the most simple user should be able to follow the tutorial at the beginning when they first activated their phone. It actually makes you do it before you can start using the phone. I guess they could have been given the phone as a gift or something, but then it's the gift-giver's responsibility to show them how to use it since they robbed them of the beginning tutorial. The Pre is a VERY easy-to-use device. Try letting a novice user get something done in Windows Mobile.
    Last edited by erod550; 07/16/2009 at 06:57 AM.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    its no big deal the pre does not need the itunes to function
    Originally posted by enjoyingsilence:
    . . .Fourth. Honestly, this is unreal. I feel robbed. And not in the monetary sense. . . .
    "open source software" - DoubleTwist (and the like),
    dragging and dropping our music, which does NOT copy playlist information - generated in the iTunes Music Library.xml file. . .
    I use my iPod and my Pre mainly for audio books and news podcast. I hadn't even considered the playlist issue. I've loaded a few playlist for at the gym, but mainly listed to internet music stations and Pandora. I didn't even consider the playlist aspect of losing iTunes.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    FYI;

There is software made for other devices to sync with iTunes ... haven't tried it, but this is one such free product.

Sync iTunes with non iPod mp3 players
    I've never used nor care to ever try itunes, but I can see that this can be an issue for some. Does look like there are quite a few alternatives which is a good thing.

All in all, this is Apples choice since it is their software whether that is right or wrong to do.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    I use an IPod touch for music so i could care less
    I use my Pre for Pandora. Seems to be working out well for me.
    I've never used itunes. I don't like the feel of it. Media Monkey for me.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Are you saying if we were a family of iPod users (using iTunes) that we would need a computer for each iPod?
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    That is correct.
    NO!! Its more like one library per device... I know this as fact since my aunt uncle and 2 cousins all since there dun dun dun Iphone's / ipods to the same pc.

One library per device...
    Yep
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    I actually have only opened the usb door twice on launch day to charge the phone. It freaked me out so much I didn't charge it again until sprint sent me the TS kit that Monday. Never even synced it to my pc so iTunes can block all they want. It's easier to get the amazon mp3's anyway. Now if they would only set up wireless file transfers I'll be all set...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast