Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi. Tomorrow I'll be making a big drive and wanted to use Sprint's navigation software to guide me. But I'll know I'll have to make a long call on my way there(through the car's speakers) and was wondering if I could do both. I thought I heard somewhere that you can't use data and make a call at the same time. Is this true?
  2. thekaitlin
    I've received calls while using the navigation; I've also been able to minimize the navigation app to use the itnernet, text messages, Tweed, etc.
  3.    #3  
    Really? Thanks! This makes me feel better.
    Not me. When I'm using Nav and I get a call, Nav doesn't update my position or directions while I'm on the call.
    u cant use data and voice at the same time....u can obviously answer a call but the navigation wont update...till u hang up then the nav will update
    Its probably better this way. If you have a long conversation you would probably not want the gps to cut in at every turn or exit and interrupt whatever it is that you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidlore View Post
    Its probably better this way. If you have a long conversation you would probably not want the gps to cut in at every turn or exit and interrupt whatever it is that you are talking about.
    well it has nothing to do about if u missed a turn bc ur talking on the fone...i think if i heard right....that sprint doesnt allow data and voice at the same time bc its just a lot of bandwidth....correct me anyone if im wrong
    Thats correct: SprintNAV will "pause" if you leave the window to do anything.
    IE: texting, internet, or a phone call.
    Quote Originally Posted by NurseNTexas View Post
    Thats correct: SprintNAV will "pause" if you leave the window to do anything.
    IE: texting, internet, or a phone call.
    actually u can still text....texting doesnt use internet...so u can text while using nav...just cant talk bc nav using internet
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    The maps are coming over the data connection, which is turned off while you're talking, so you're probably hosed.

If they were clever, they could cache the data in advance so the data connection wouldn't be needed until you went off-route, but I'd guess they didn't think that far ahead.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I have seen it pause on a call and also continue even tho I got a call. When it continues it is still not connected to the data it is "assuming" that you are going the same speed that you were going before. Has anyone else have that happen to them?. Its good for the highway but street use you get way off til you get back off the phone then you hear REROUTING....

Maybe google maps is better for you. or just reading the directions and following them manually til you get off the phone
    I do deliveries, I am able to use the Nav and also use the phone. It will update as I am moving. I was amazed the other day when I was using the nav.

It does in fact work...
    Quote Originally Posted by michael82574 View Post
    I do deliveries, I am able to use the Nav and also use the phone. It will update as I am moving. I was amazed the other day when I was using the nav.

It does in fact work...
    hmm it doesnt work both data and voice for me...

It does in fact work...
    With the car in the profile pic, I'm not going to ask what you deliver..
    Quote Originally Posted by imtravis View Post
    With the car in the profile pic, I'm not going to ask what you deliver..
    lol very tru...i wonder that too
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

It does in fact work...
    I also do deliveries and can confirm this. Here's the deal, the Nav app gets your whole route (from what I can tell) when you start your trip. You cannot do this while on a phone call, but once begun, you can talk as much as you like.

Normally when using Nav and not on a call, you'll be able to see the streets around you on the map. This is the data you'll be missing out on if you're on a call; the map will just show a tiled grey nav logo graphic instead of the surrounding streets. You will still see your position updated on the colored route line and the next step of your trip since the phone can multitask and the gps radio doesn't conflict with the voice radio.

Now, I don't know how it would handle audible notifications since I have those turned off. I also use the 2D maps since I feel they give me a better idea of where I am. If yours doesn't operate the way I'm describing, make your settings match mine and it should work.
    cool ill try that next time i do use sprint nav
    yes it does!! i do it all the time.
    Perhaps only a certain amount of the maps are cached? We know Sprint Navigation can't pull maps while you're on a call. Someone doing a short route may see maps still (already cached), but someone on a longer trip may have had problems getting it to work.

On Windows Mobile devices, stand alone GPS apps like Garmin Mobile XT work without a hitch while on a voice call. The audio stops, but the maps continually update and messages on screen tell you where to turn. Garmin Mobile XT works with or without data, because maps are stored on a MicroSD card. Data on Garmin Mobile XT is just used for traffic data, flight information, weather and things like looking up places via Google Local.
    Also, if Sprint Navigation caches maps, if you happen to take a wrong turn, it can't pull maps to re-route you while you're on a call. Something else to consider.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast