Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    so im like 10 days into my pre, no drops, no scratches. Every once in a while my touchscreen will randomly stop working in certain parts of the screen and swipes dont work at all, i have to reboot the phone in order to solve the issue. This has happened a good 6 times since i got the phone. At first i thought it was just a small error or something, but it keeps happening, so now i'm concerned its not going to stop.

The phone itself also has a few defects. my volume buttons and the power button don't always work. often times i find myself pressing it 2 or 3 times before it responds. I started comparing it to my dads pre, and found that my buttons aren't as secure. His are tight in their place and give good feedback, where as mine move around and don't have that 'click' to them.

another issue ive noticed is in the housing where the phone meets the keyboard, my fathers is very secure where as mine does not sit right and squeaks whenever i type.

There is also a slight bleed at the bottom left hand of the screen where the light from the screen shows through the gesture area, i also noticed that my center button is a foggy gray and the LED isnt very vibrant, where as my dads is obviously silver and lights up beautifully. not a BIG deal, but it bugs the hell out of me.

My pre has no oreo, however when the keyboard is revealed the screen appears to be significantly loose and clicks (which is quite annoying), where as my dads pre (which has the oreo effect) only swivels.

i went into sprint today and told them id like the exchange my phone, when they asked me why, i explained to the rep that i had paid 350$ for this thing, i bought the most expensive phone they had. I wasnt happy with my particular device and i wanted one that was more secure. I then went on to explain to the rep about all of the problems i was having and the defects the phone had. The rep took a look at my phone, and basically told me that i cant exchange the phone because it didn't have any defects, everything i described was cosmetic. When i brought up my touchscreen and button response issues again, she took another look at my phone and told me everything was working fine for her as she handed the phone back to me.

I didnt feel like fighting with the rep, so i left the store angry. Figured id try a different store tomorrow.

Am i in the wrong here? when does a problem with the phone become 'cosmetic' and not a 'defect'? I feel cheated.

I feel like i should be able to trade my phone in within the first 30 days no questions asked.

I don't feel like a restocking fee should apply to me either, but maybe it should.

any thoughts?
    Last edited by roor; 07/19/2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: the end of my palm pre story.
    Here's a thought. You have 30 days to simply say "take it back" if you don't like it or you're not happy. Exercise your temporary power and don't put up with ***** Sprint employees.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Here's a thought. You have 30 days to simply say "take it back" if you don't like it or you're not happy. Exercise your temporary power and don't put up with ***** Sprint employees.
    Exactly. When a Sprint employee's mouth is moving that means he or she is lying.
    Return it.

Like Cardfan said; You have 30 days to return it.

When they are all done with the refund ask to speak to the manager and tell them you will never buy another phone from their store.

30-Day Risk-Guarantee
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    so instead of getting the phone exchanged i should go with a return/re-buy method?

the only other phones id consider would be a treo pro, or the bb tour, but i really like the pre tbh.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I just left the store for the second time still with my cosmeticaly defective pre. I'm starting to get pissed. As far as returning and rebuying, when I told the rep I wanted to return the phone, he told me I would have to wait 22 months before I could get another phone without paying full price.
    Returning the phone will reset your upgrade eligibility to what it was prior to the "trial" period. Don't give in to scare tactics.
    yes thats a lie.

I returned my wifes pinkstink at the 30 day mark and a week later she got a pro.(at the 199 2year plan price) You have 30 days to return. after that their bull will become fact.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Well good, I decided to go back to the only sprint store in my area that seems to give me decent service and treat me like I'm human, and of course its a cooperate store.

i walked in, asked for a manager, and magically everything went smoothly and like it should have gone the first time.

he made sure I walked out the door with a solid device. (it took a few boxes)

I have a brand new pre dated 7/10 and it is a +1 for build quality this time around, even less play than the last pre. No bleed, no dead pixels, no squeaks/creaks/clicks, no screen movement at all when the phone is slid up, and A SILVER BUTTON! (zomg) The OS seems to run a little smoother on my new one as well-- not as laggy. I am completely satisfied with my new device. If your sitting at your desk reading this with a pre with 'cosmetic' problems or any issues at all, I would recommend doing what I did.

I'm sure other people are being fed lies by managers and reps from retail stores, or maybe it's just because I look young.

I'm never going to another Sprint retail store again. Nuff said.
    Good for you man! I'm happy you finally got a Pre worth keeping. I bet the main reason you were treated like you were is because... You guessed it... You look young. I've worked in the service industry for a long time... And I will admit, being young is a good way to get treated unfairly. Just be as polite and stern as you can and you usually will get treated right though. Sounding really intellegent also helps a great deal. I am glad it all worked out in the end for you. Shrug those haters off! ; )
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    They don't seem to expect some one like me to read forums, and do some research, or have access to the internet. I can understand it though... I guess. They probably see me walk in with my sprint bag and go 'what's this kid trying to pull'. I'm 21 years old but I look no older than 17. /shurg
    People never talk about the discrimination faced by youthful looking people...CS reps are supposed to help people not judge them by their looks....I'm glad you got that taken of...
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    so here is a funny ending.

The day after I got my pre exchanged I had to work. About midway through my shift a man walks into our store and he looks very familiar. I instantly recognize him as the sprint rep i spoke to the day before. The rep that refused to help me with my defective pre came into MY store.

Ive worked for Starbucks for a little over 2 years now. I was on bar and he ordered a Venti Americano with room. He avoided eye contact with me the whole time. I tried to talk to him as I would with any normal customer but the whole time I made his drink he hid behind the espresso machine. Instead of confronting him and letting him know that I got my phone taken care of and i'm never returning to his store again, I decided to just be super nice and pretend I didn't recognize him. I didn't want to make it awkward, it was obvious to me that he was avoiding me. I handed him his drink and he didn't say anything, rushed over to the condiment bar and then left.

One of my co-workers happens to be married to another rep at the same sprint store. He sent me a text later that day saying that when the rep returned to work and told everyone that he was afraid to drink his Americano because he thought I spit in it.

the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by roor View Post
    One of my co-workers happens to be married to another rep at the same sprint store. He sent me a text later that day saying that when the rep returned to work and told everyone that he was afraid to drink his Americano because he thought I spit in it.

the end.
    Which begs the question:
    Which is better, spitting in the customer's cup when he doesn't know it (and never will), or him thinking and worrying that you might have, when you didn't?
    I think you went the best route. Knowing his fears was the karma bonus for you.
    Kudos to you for taking the high road. It's an indication of how far in the gutter the Sprint rep's mind is that he would even think you spit in his drink. Why? Because it's what he would have done, I'm sure, which explains the crappy treatment you got at his store.
    Quote Originally Posted by tripsbacks View Post
    Exactly. When a Sprint employee's mouth is moving that means he or she is lying.
    As a Sells rep for another company I take issue with this statement.

Not that I'm sure reps never lie and often talk out of their *** to close a sale/keep a sale, because some do... but if you don't trust the rep's a little or feel like they are lying the whole time, you are bound to find something wrong in the whole process.

Especially if your asking or looking for some sweet heart deal..cause those that offer one, are the ones to worry about.....You have to trust them just enough to know you have to research and read to back them up. IE trust but verify....

My situation was similar...
    only they just kept saying they did not have any in stock to exchange, my friend called and asked to get one for a new line and they said come on in they have it in stock....I returned it on the 29th day from launch day.

They even tried to have me come in on moday to return it....HA i told them so i would be in contract then? Perhaps...not. I called care and had my upgrade re-set and made sure the credit for the phone was on my bill the moment I walked out of the store without the pre that day.

I walked acrossed the steet to the mall and had a Authorized Agent order me a new pre...3 days later and a new 30day trial, now i'm back to Presness!

Oh on a side note I showed the manager of the Authorized agent Precentral.net and told him about the homebrew community and when i went in to pick up my pre he had the xbox friends app on his personal pre. That was kinda cool.
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 07/19/2009 at 09:51 PM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.