• Yes

49 50.00%
  • No

48 48.98%
  • What is Linux?

1 1.02%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How many of Pre owners here run Linux as their Primary OS? Just curious as to how many Linux users are using the Pre and if Pre being a linux based oS influenced their descision in buying it?
    I use OS X but every now and again I boot into Linux.
    Nope. No decent video editing apps for work. No decent native games for fun. Also hardware support for my laptop and other peripherals is ****e.

It can be great if you have the right hardware and don't need to run a lot of pro media software or games natively but otherwise all I really did with it was constantly tweak the desktop to look cool.

edit: I can't say sh!te?
    I LOVE linux on servers, but too much hassle on my desktop.
    Just don't have time to tweak, or get stuck in dependency hell, anymore.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Nope. No decent video editing apps for work. No decent native games for fun. Also hardware support for my laptop and other peripherals is ****e.

It can be great if you have the right hardware and don't need to run a lot of pro media software or games natively but otherwise all I really did with it was constantly tweak the desktop to look cool.

Quote Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
    I LOVE linux on servers, but too much hassle on my desktop.
    For you all, there is:

http://www.ubuntu.com
    Last edited by Clack; 07/15/2009 at 06:24 PM.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
  6.    #6  
    I prefer Mandriva over Unbuntu KDE over Gnome

There are a lot of Open source games avail under Linux distros
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    Linux Questions is another useful site
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    Linux Questions is another useful site
    I meant the .com version: Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post

Linux user here, programmer, etc. Don't do video editing, have a console for gaming.
    I use Linux at work on the servers and on my desktop. I also dual-boot my laptop at home. So to answer the original question: yes!
    I started using Ubuntu once i found out the Pre's core was Linux. Now, I do not like booting into Windows, I just love Ubuntu so much
    Same here Love Mandriva and rarely have to tweak it. My Linux box doubles as a server and a desktop

Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    I prefer Mandriva over Unbuntu KDE over Gnome

There are a lot of Open source games avail under Linux distros
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Ubuntu is my main, but I am converting to Slack as we speak. I play a lot of games on my linux box. You can play a lot of Winblows games with wine. Most source games work with very minimal tinkering( counterstrike, team fortress 2, day of defeat, ect) but there are developers making games for linux now.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Nope...Vista here for Media Center basically...free DVR. I would love to switch to Ubuntu but I don't have the time to pick around for programs and stuff. I got a quad-core desktop that runs Vista fine...but I have pre-ordered Windows 7. If you have the power to run vista...its a good OS. I have never had it reset in 2 years of heavy use...and I have never gotten the RAM over 75% using Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and some racing games.
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    I had Ubuntu 7 on an old computer, but I got a more updated box from work and I havent re-installed Ubuntu. And since I am dual-booting Win 7 and Vista HP on my main laptop, I dont want to further complicate things by booting another OS. But I want to learn Linux more...especially since the Pre and Andriod prove viable sources for a hobby/second income! Well...I have to learn how to code first!
    Has anyone here successfully established BT PAN connectivity between Ubuntu 9.04 and the Pre? I was not able to do this, and searching yields a lot of comments about lack of documentation for Bluez.

I've got PAN working with Windows (same hardware as Ubuntu) and a Mac.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
    That's a thing of the past!

Full time Linux user here. Though I do have a windows laptop for when I need it, usually for reference when walking a user through how to do something they'd figure out if they just read the damn screens.
    I use Ubuntu as my primary OS at work and my laptop. its kinda funny seeing internet explorer installed on Ubuntu since we need it for SSL certificates since the site does not work with firefox. all my games like Call of Duty, Wow and simcity and everything else i might need from windows all run great in Ubuntu. I only use Windows for writing actual windows application for my business work.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I said no in the poll, but I'm a regular linux user and fan. I used to use it as my primary workstation at work, but now I've got a mac. OS X goodness with *nix built in!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drac0Linux View Post
    That's a thing of the past!

Full time Linux user here. Though I do have a windows laptop for when I need it, usually for reference when walking a user through how to do something they'd figure out if they just read the damn screens.
    It's only a thing of the past in fanboiland.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast