49 50.00%
  • No

48 48.98%
  • What is Linux?

1 1.02%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Ubuntu user!! Use it on a testing laptop as well as in virtualbox on my primary laptop
    Quote Originally Posted by andddlay View Post
    I started using Ubuntu once i found out the Pre's core was Linux. Now, I do not like booting into Windows, I just love Ubuntu so much
    Ha, give it a few weeks, you'll be back...
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    For you all, there is:

Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu
    That's the distro I've used most recently. I used to set up dual boot but I kept having to boot into Windows every time I wanted to work on a video or play a game. I still like Ubuntu for a basic web browsing station and I tried to install it on my Thinkpad but the wireless adapter wouldn't work and in order to raise the screen brightness I had to keep hitting the "lower screen brightness" button until it lowered all the way and looped back to full. Also no sound.

The concept of Linux is great but until more hardware is supported I have trouble using it as a desktop OS at home whereas Win7 works out of the box.
    i've been a linux user off and on for over 10 years although my primary machines are wxp(work) and vista(home)
    Accessories that I'm using with my Pre
    -Palm Leather Slip Case for Pre
    -Plantronics Discovery 925 Bluetooth Headset
    -Touchstone Charging Kit
    -2nd Touchstone Dock (for office)
    -2 International Travel Chargers
    -2nd Palm Battery
    -Palm Spare Battery Charger
    Yeah for work, but not for my day to day laptop, I got tired of having to write/hack my own drivers to get commodity laptop components to work appropriately. Though I do virtualize a windows vm on top of fedora for my wife because she's brain dead when it comes to computers.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    It's only a thing of the past in fanboiland.
    That's just incorrect. I've been running Ubuntu full time on my home laptop for over a year. I have not once had to manually download a single package. Package managers like apt on Debian/Ubuntu and yum on Red Hat eliminate all of the dependency problems that you say exist everywhere but "fanboiland."
    I play around (have one laptop with Suse 11 on it) with Linux on the desktop, but support several servers that run Linux. Definitely not my primary OS on the desktop, but I'm probably in Linux commands about half as much as I'm in Windows commands.
    Quote Originally Posted by brianpmullaney View Post
    That's just incorrect. I've been running Ubuntu full time on my home laptop for over a year. I have not once had to manually download a single package. Package managers like apt on Debian/Ubuntu and yum on Red Hat eliminate all of the dependency problems that you say exist everywhere but "fanboiland."
    No he was quite correct. Your case is what we label as anecdotal, its pretty widely known that a majority of laptop manufacturers only make device drivers for windows, thus making driver support in linux a constant issue. You're fortunate that things work correctly for you, but remember for every person like you are a dozen people that have a nic with a broadcom chipset, or are running a newer laptop that acpi doesn't work correctly on because of newer chipsets, or alsa or oss doesn't have support for their card..
    I normally dual boot and have Linux as my secondary OS. I am currently using Windows Vista 64 bit and 64 bit Ubuntu.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Moved my laptop to Linux (Ubuntu) a few months ago. I dual boot, but Ubuntu is my primary with about 90% of my usage in that OS. So much faster, smoother, and with compiz going it feels so much more open with four desktops and easily flipping between them with the cube. I set the side button on my mouse to activate the cube, so fast and easy. I go into windows now and it's weird that I actually feel cramped with having to have all programs in one desktop space.

I use it for work, website maintenance/updating on the side, web surfing, music/podcasts listening, and of course interecting with my Pre and converting videos to put on it, putting music on it and the rest of that good stuff. Most of my gaming these days is on the PS3, but I do some gaming through Ubuntu, though PC gaming has died for me over the past few years way before I moved to Ubuntu. What I played in Windows I play in Ubuntu though.

Ubuntu was a snap to set up on my laptop. I did a Wubi install first (installing Ubuntu as a Windows app), once I found I wanted to move over to it full time I made an Ubuntu LiveCD and created a partition for Ubuntu, then ran a "click and let it go" program that transfered my Wubi installation over onto the partition I created. It was simple and worked perfect. My only minor issue is when I run IE in Wine for certain work websites, I have to watch how long I am in there. Too long and it causes the system to bog down. Nothing else in Wine gives me problems, just IE. I have an hour usually then I close it down and open it back up to avoid problems. An hour is usually enough time for me though.

Ha! As I type this my wife just got the blue screen of death on her laptop with Vista.

edit: I use Ubuntu 9.04 64bit with an AMD Turion 64 x2 processor, though my Vista is 32bit because this laptop couldn't handle 64bit Vista.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Full-time Ubuntu on my laptop here. I use VirtualBox to run WinXP when I need to (as well as sync to iTunes, only when necessary).
    Palm III --> PalmVx + Omnisky --> Samsung i730 --> Treo 650 --> Samsung i760 --> AT&T Tilt --> Palm Pre
  12.    #32  
    I prefer Mandriva KDE to Unbuntu.
    Unbuntu is more widely supported by Programs, Maninly because it is marketed towards Windows users. Unbuntu is very user friendly and an easy painless transition from Win to Linux.

Mandriva KDE is different enough from windows slight bigger learning curve there is a package installer RPM DRAKE, and it works well.

I run a Dual boot system at hom eone for my Wife Vista and Mandriva KDE for me, I bought her a laptop that runs Vista so Majority of the time our desktop is booted into the default OS ( KDE)
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    I prefer Mandriva KDE to Unbuntu.
    Unbuntu is more widely supported by Programs, Maninly because it is marketed towards Windows users. Unbuntu is very user friendly and an easy painless transition from Win to Linux.

Mandriva KDE is different enough from windows slight bigger learning curve there is a package installer RPM DRAKE, and it works well.

I run a Dual boot system at hom eone for my Wife Vista and Mandriva KDE for me, I bought her a laptop that runs Vista so Majority of the time our desktop is booted into the default OS ( KDE)
    Good point about Ubuntu actually. It is very much the "beginner" Linux distro for long time Windows people, or so it seems to the Linux newb here. I am already considering trying a different distro or two down the road once I am more used to Linux via Ubuntu.
    windows 7 ftw

lol

screw mac
    Hi all, this is my first post here. Just got my pre the other day!

I have been using linux as my primary OS on my desktop for about 6 months now. I switched and hopped around many times before finally settling on LinuxMint. You may have heard about it, but it is based off of Ubuntu except it comes with many things already pre-installed (codecs, drivers, etc...). So to the end user (and especially the new linux users coming from M$ winblows), it is very user friendly right out of the box. Plus, as an added benefit it takes advantage of the many thousands of software programs in the ubuntu repos.

The main edition uses Gnome. Right now I have linuxmint 7 KDE CE installed. Both based off ubuntu jaunty 9.04.

GOOGLE: linuxmint - Linux Mint (Unable to post links yet)

And as an added benefit...the pre runs linux!!! This is something I didn't even know until after getting the phone home from the Sprint Store and searching "webOS." It made my day even better knowing that. Especially since I just upgraded from a Mogul and I will never buy a winblows mobile system phone again...never
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I don't use Linux as my primary OS, nor have I had linux installed on any of my PCs in probably 8 years now, but I did most of my college courses on Linux. I am very familiar with Linux, but now I just don't feel like dealing with computers anymore (any OS) so I mainly run OS X on my laptop at home.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    I"m a linux/unix sys admin; have Wincrap at home.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12