1.    #1  
    Ok, I'm not sure if its mine, but maybe somebody could try to replicate this:

I like to stream podcasts from my RSS reader (m.netvibes.com) and while I am traveling on the train it starts to download from the free WiFi, but then on my walk home I notice it just stops playing... The whole podcast didn't finish downloading and it doesn't switch over to my 3G connection. Is this normal?

I have tried this with just websurfing and the same is true. If I start a "card" while I am at home on WiFi, then leave and continue to work on that webpage, it breaks. I have to start a new page... Is this just me?
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Yes it's normal.

You're switching between two different networks. You're switching to a completely different ip address which would have a completely different path through the internet to the server you're connected to.

That'd be like taking your phone over to neighbor's house and plugging it into their phone jack and expecting the phone call you were on to not be interrupted.
    Have not tested this but I've seen it happen before on my Pre. It might be this way by design so I'm not sure that it's an actual bug.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    Yes it's normal.

You're switching between two different networks. You're switching to a completely different ip address which would have a completely different path through the internet to the server you're connected to.

That'd be like taking your phone over to neighbor's house and plugging it into their phone jack and expecting the phone call you were on to not be interrupted.
    Actually, it'd be more like unplugging and plugging into a different jack in your house. Regardless of which network you're using. I can open a web page connected to my wifi at home via my desktop, and then switch to a nearby wifi of a friend and continue on the same page. All the page cares about is if the connection is there, not that it's a different connection.

Basically, this shouldn't be happening. It seems that the phone isn't letting the browser look to all connections, but only locking it to one.
    Quote Originally Posted by aolbites View Post
    Actually, it'd be more like unplugging and plugging into a different jack in your house. Regardless of which network you're using. I can open a web page connected to my wifi at home via my desktop, and then switch to a nearby wifi of a friend and continue on the same page. All the page cares about is if the connection is there, not that it's a different connection.

Basically, this shouldn't be happening. It seems that the phone isn't letting the browser look to all connections, but only locking it to one.
    Web pages don't stream, the comparison is moot. Web pages are not constant connections, they are momentary. Things like AIM, Google Talk, streaming audio, these are all constant connections, and when you change IP addresses(like going from WiFi to EVDO, you are breaking that connection. With streaming audio/video though, it is possible to buffer enough of the video that this doesn't happen, like how winamp handles the lex and terry audio stream, but I don't think the Pre does this.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    Yes it's normal.

Could not have said it better. And it has nothing to do with how web pages load because web pages are not constantly loading data. They may refresh automatically, but that's still a separate request every X seconds. Streaming is a constant connection that requires continuous data flow, which is impossible when switching from one network to another.

As for browsing web pages while switching back and forth, I have had no problem doing this, but streaming is a different animal.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Youre right it would be like trying to plug the phone into your Ethernet and expecting it to work and not be interrupted.

Irregardess of my mis-analogy, the other responders are correct, as am I. Http is a "stateless" protocol. Your browser makes a request, gets a response for a relatively small bit of data. If you were to try this while loading a pretty complex web page with lots of big graphics, it would not complete the page. The reason why you can get a page then switch and get another is because while you were switching you were not xferring any data while switching. Web servers don't care where requests for files come from, but they sure do care -while- they are sending you the file. They aren't going to know you switched from one ip to another mid stream.

Btw. It would behave the same way if you were streaming on your laptop and switched from one wifi net to another. For the same reasons. It is working as designed. You are comparing a networking equivilent of apples and oranges.
    Last edited by ssrjazz; 07/16/2009 at 08:47 AM.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Web pages don't stream, the comparison is moot. Web pages are not constant connections, they are momentary. Things like AIM, Google Talk, streaming audio, these are all constant connections, and when you change IP addresses(like going from WiFi to EVDO, you are breaking that connection. With streaming audio/video though, it is possible to buffer enough of the video that this doesn't happen, like how winamp handles the lex and terry audio stream, but I don't think the Pre does this.

Ok, so why in the case of websurfing, does the card I started on my home connection (wifi) break once I leave and switch to EVDO. I have to throw that card away and start a new one. I am not streaming anything. I will probably be on Facebook, then try to go to another website and it doesn't work.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Normal. You're abruptly changing IP address while in a stream. It'll always break no matter what device.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I blame Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyndall View Post
    i blame apple.
    lmao!! ^^