Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 250
  1. #61  
    3 good things to keep in mind... but...

    Palm has always had a great reputation for great PIM... you have insane die hard palm fans because of it... even be able to say ahead of the competition. So in my opinion, there was no reason not to have the same quality PIM on the Pre out of the box.

    That would be the equivalent of Apple bringing out the iPhone and the iPod feature sucked... or lacked functions of a normal iPod. Not gonna happen... they sacrificed everything else like cut and paste and the other stuff people criticized it for lacking before messing up the feature they were known for. I think there are a lot of diehards holding on to their older Palms now hoping they correct that error soon.

    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    Whenever showing disatisfaction at things that don't exist I like to remember three things

    1. This is a brand new OS
      The device has been out less than two months
      Is Palm behind or ahead of where the other PDA manufacturers were at this stage of their maturity


    There are things we all would assume are given but the complaint of waiting for the device to have all these things would have been just as loud.

    Its a simple decision for me now
    I will buy the iPhone 3GS if the PIM is not up to par or doesn't look like it will get there by the time I can get one in Australia. Otherwise I will be buying a PRE the minute it hits these shores as I absolutely love the device.
  2. as147's Avatar
    Posts
    289 Posts
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    #62  
    Hey Donm527, I am not that experienced in what happens with new OS's where the company has what I suppose some would now consider legacy applications on a legacy OS (don't flame me guys) but my gut tells me this.

    If you have a small organisation that has been in a financial nose dive and feet from the ground, you need all your efforts focussed on the target above and all that effort is used to pull your organisation out of that dive.

    In other words they had to write stuff from the start.

    Its a new OS so the old apps wouldn't work on this platform.
    I don't think therefore your analogy is quite right. There is no real architectural difference between an iPod and an iPhone so moving apps is automatic.

    But you knew this, right!

    So lets be a bit balanced here and if you are going to compare I think you should do it fairly.

    However I get your point that "they could have" and I maintain they could ALWAYS have but then the phone would have taken longer to get out there and folk would have complained about that.

    Finite resources.

    This is version 1 and I bet a few Apple fans said the same when the iPhone came out.
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

    Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
  3. #63  
    no formatting fix yet?? ARGGGHH

    back to blackberry i go, im sick of clearing the ENTIRE email before responding..
  4. #64  
    You're right in that WebOS looks like it was designed from a clean sheet of paper... and we can always say they were so close to death that they pushed out what they had. But even when you design from a clean sheet, you have to take into consideration your current customers and users and decide from there if you will try to accomodate them or leave them behind.

    I don't know exactly but you already provide some basic features of contact and calendar and such so I don't think it would have been hard to accomodate them and migrate data and features over to the new platform or take any longer than they had.

    I do think the phone came out too early but do feel they didnt have a choice. Now it's out hopefully they can refine the phone and I would think near the top of list is PIM and not stuff like video recording.
  5. as147's Avatar
    Posts
    289 Posts
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by logie View Post
    no formatting fix yet?? ARGGGHH

    back to blackberry i go, im sick of clearing the ENTIRE email before responding..
    What makes you think the formatting isn't being fixed in the update this week?

    Have a look at the list of fixes in 1.1 it specifically identifies this issue so Palm have it at the very top of their list either for 1.1 or very shortly afterwards
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

    Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    What makes you think the formatting isn't being fixed in the update this week?

    Have a look at the list of fixes in 1.1 it specifically identifies this issue so Palm have it at the very top of their list either for 1.1 or very shortly afterwards
    Lets hope the update actually comes out this week...so far a I am very happy with my phone...but am disheartened to see so many people taking their phones back... Btw first post!
  7. #67  
    It seems like the past few updates were all on Monday, maybe it was just a coincidence...
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

    Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchris View Post
    It seems like the past few updates were all on Monday, maybe it was just a coincidence...
    Wrong, 1.0.3 was released on a Friday.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Wrong, 1.0.3 was released on a Friday.
    There goes that idea then...
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

    Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
  10. as147's Avatar
    Posts
    289 Posts
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchris222 View Post
    Lets hope the update actually comes out this week...so far a I am very happy with my phone...but am disheartened to see so many people taking their phones back... Btw first post!
    Me and you too buddy. Welcome to our little gathering
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

    Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchris222 View Post
    Lets hope the update actually comes out this week...so far a I am very happy with my phone...but am disheartened to see so many people taking their phones back... Btw first post!
    Just know that we on these tech sites tend to be way more outspoken than the average joe who buys the Pre. I think we tend to be way more technical in our experience, and pickier in our expectations. The Pre will likely do quite well. I personally know 9 people who have a Pre now. That's quite a large number to know personally, considering all of the other phones out there. I honestly don't know anyone that has that other phone that I shall not mention here.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
    Just know that we on these tech sites tend to be way more outspoken than the average joe who buys the Pre. I think we tend to be way more technical in our experience, and pickier in our expectations. The Pre will likely do quite well. I personally know 9 people who have a Pre now. That's quite a large number to know personally, considering all of the other phones out there. I honestly don't know anyone that has that other phone that I shall not mention here.
    ooh ooh ooh <raises hand to answer the retorical>.... It's the Iphone.

    <Pats self on back>
  13. #73  
    The OS that's being discussed is part of the SDK.

    [edited by dieter]
  14. #74  
    edited some posts in this thread in the hope that I don't have to close it. Everybody simma down.
  15. #75  
    Anybody remember when 1.03 was posted in terms of time of day? I know Apple would post iPhone updates after 5pm EST always (maybe after market close?!). I remember 1.03 came out on a Friday and it was after work because I was home. 1.04 came out on Monday and it was early but that's because it was a security fix (IMHO).

    So my guess is 1.05 or 1.1 whatever will come out after 5PM est one of these days. Let's see what happens.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
    Anybody remember when 1.03 was posted in terms of time of day? I know Apple would post iPhone updates after 5pm EST always (maybe after market close?!). I remember 1.03 came out on a Friday and it was after work because I was home. 1.04 came out on Monday and it was early but that's because it was a security fix (IMHO).

    So my guess is 1.05 or 1.1 whatever will come out after 5PM est one of these days. Let's see what happens.
    i dont think its 5pm...bc i got the update around 12pm or 1pm and i live in florida
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    i dont think its 5pm...bc i got the update around 12pm or 1pm and i live in florida
    Which update did you get at 1pm? I thought 1.03 came out in the evening. I know 1.04 was released early. When did you get 1.03?
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
    Which update did you get at 1pm? I thought 1.03 came out in the evening. I know 1.04 was released early. When did you get 1.03?
    dude i dont memorize wut time i got the updates i just know for a fact it wasnt at 5pm...bc i remember 1.0.4 it came out early bc right when i woke up around 12 that day i went on the forums and bam someone posted 1.0.4 released!!! get ur update so i got it...but i dont know maybe ur right that 1.0.3 got released at 5pm but i dont remember so im not gonna argue something that i forgot
  19. SHO_ONE's Avatar
    Posts
    179 Posts
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    Me and you too buddy. Welcome to our little gathering
    I agree, I too love this phone so much so I decided to buy some stock in the company. I'm being told this is a bad idea and it may be true, but I have a strong feeling that just like Apple, Palm's stock will rise! I didn't buy much, seeing this is my first venture into the whole stocks thing.... wish me luck I have a feeling that web os and palm will do what is needed to turn themselves around.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    Are those the words 12 year olds are using these days?
    "is right you tool" and "brung" have brought up some serious doubts about the standard of education in America.

    Why can't we stay on topic?

    I sure hope we see an update soon. Even if it appeases at least a few people.
    I think it was just a case of "tool envy".
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions