Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    OP, are you one of those pain's in the xxx who drives two miles an hour gabbing on the phone about absolutely nothing that could wait until you get home? Meanwhile there's a line of cars behind you a mile long just wanting to get to their locations?

(( Hey! I've gotta blame SOMEONE. ))

Wah, wah, wah...!

Next time you buy something do your research, or at least spare us the whining.

Carry on...
    I was told the feature was included prior to buying...didn't expect to be lied to by Sprint. The initial specs I read also listed voice dialing though they were most likely to early to be accurate as they were published in like March. I did ask the rep at the Sprint store the day I walked in to buy the phone and he said it was supported over bluetooth but as I said in my earlier post I called support when I found no mention in the manual and the tech was sure it was supported but after a long delay while he looked at his manual and played with the one he had there and then he called Palm direct (or so he told me..) he came back and said it would be supported within weeks.
    In the past any phone I've had which included voice dialing had a dedicated hardware button to initiate voice dialing. On my Centro I believe it's just below the volume rocker switch: press and hold, say a name, phone dials. Done. Even if the next software update were to include voice dialing, I think it would be necessary to turn the phone on, look at the screen and touch something to initiate it. Perhaps the next Pre will include the additional button along with voice dialing.

Addition: On second thought, I suppose the hardware, "go to card view" button might be implemented. I don't know if that card is active when the phone screen is off and it would def be awkward holding the phone (with that button pressed) to make a call while saying a name.
    Last edited by ronlongo; 07/15/2009 at 02:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    Hearsay.

Sell your phone and stop wasting our time with this drivel.
    Umm...so leave the thread and your time time is no longer wasted. YOU ARE WASTING YOUR OWN TIME. If you don't want to listen to "whining" then don't read a thread that is obviously going to complain about the phone... DUH!!!
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    In the past any phone I've had which included voice dialing had a dedicated hardware button to initiate voice dialing. On my Centro I believe it's just below the volume rocker switch. Press and hold, say a name, phone dials. Even if the next software update were to include voice dialing, I think it would be necessary to turn the phone on and look at the screen and touch something to initiate it. Perhaps the next Pre will include the additional button along with voice dialing.
    In all the phones I've had...over 5 or 6 years both for home and work, voice dialing has always been supported so I just find it hard to believe that a phone would be built without it.

But..I do like the Pre - which is why I still have it. It does everything great except the part about being a phone. I may well activate my old Razr and ditch the Pre for a while...the Razr didn't do the things I enjoy with the Pre but it was good at just being a phone.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
    In all the phones I've had...over 5 or 6 years both for home and work, voice dialing has always been supported so I just find it hard to believe that a phone would be built without it.

But..I do like the Pre - which is why I still have it. It does everything great except the part about being a phone. I may well activate my old Razr and ditch the Pre for a while...the Razr didn't do the things I enjoy with the Pre but it was good at just being a phone.
    So do that, but don't start a lame whaa whaa thread about an unpromised/never included feature. and you know damn well there wasn't an update... it's just so fail...
  6. ndz
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    In the past any phone I've had which included voice dialing had a dedicated hardware button to initiate voice dialing. On my Centro I believe it's just below the volume rocker switch: press and hold, say a name, phone dials. Done. Even if the next software update were to include voice dialing, I think it would be necessary to turn the phone on, look at the screen and touch something to initiate it. Perhaps the next Pre will include the additional button along with voice dialing.
    They could use the existing one button. Just hold it down for 2 seconds.

These comparisons to Iphone feature release timelines are irrelevant. I don't get these PRE-fanboi defenders.

Continue to speak out, complain, and request features. This helps Palm to notice and take action.

If you can say that your RAZR is better at being a phone than your Pre, then you may have a defective Pre. I went through three RAZRs on AT&T and the ONLY thing I liked about that phone was the size. I had the ringer volume up all the way and always missed calls. And If there was any ambiant noise I couldn't hear the person on the other end of the connection. My Pre on the other hand has a very loud ringer (and I haven't installed those louder ringtones). I've never missed hearing the phone ring. My call quality is about the best I've ever had (My old centro was only slightly better than the RAZR in being able to hear the person speaking).

Just so you know: I have a BMW convertible. With the top closed I could barely hear my conversation with my Centro. With the Pre, driving with the top down on the highway I'm still able to hear the conversation better (windows up to minimize wind noise).

I've never had experience with voice dialing that didn't frustrate me so I don't miss it. Only my RAZR and Centro had it. My Centro would often dial the wrong number. The RAZR would make me repeat the number so often that I wanted to throw the phone.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    So do that, but don't start a lame whaa whaa thread about an unpromised/never included feature. and you know damn well there wasn't an update... it's just so fail...
    Thread started for a reason...more vocal you are about issues you would like resolved - the more likely it is to happen. If you think it's a waste of your time DON'T READ THE THREAD [edited].
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Did you think this post would magically produce a response from Palm stating that it will be included in webOS 1.1.0? I don't get it.

PS... Palm has their own support forums at palm.com. This might get more sympathy over there.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Thread started for a reason...more vocal you are about issues you would like resolved - the more likely it is to happen. If you think it's a waste of your time DON'T READ THE THREAD dummy.
    I will read the thread and point out your fail..[edited]
    see how name calling feels?
    This is driving me crazy..the Pre STILL has no voice dialing. This is such a basic function and one I depended on heavily. I love my Pre don't get me wrong but right now I'm really wishing I got rid of it before the end of my 30 days. I like to talk handsfree every day while driving on my cell. I can't do that any more since I have the Pre. I miss it and the people I used to call when driving but I will not juggle the phone and attempt to call while driving.

Every other issue I can deal with -
    loose slider with growing visible gap and lots of wiggle,

unresponsive touch screen (answering calls fails like 1 out of 3 times due to the 'drag up' thing..and Sudoku is unplayable as the wrong square is invariably chosen when attempting to play),

poor call quality - people I talk to regularly now complain of loud garbled sound which was not a problem with the 3 other Sprint phones I had. Holding the phone further away seems to help though a bit uncomfortable. Headset also helps with this.

poor signal reception and frequent call drops - again only on the Pre, other Sprint phones were fine.

gotta ask--why did you BUY THE PHONE?? Didn't you find out about these issues prior to plunking down a credit card? I didn't buy one, because I did my research.
    I was told the feature was included prior to buying...didn't expect to be lied to by Sprint.
    Leave her alone. This is clearly the first time she's dealt with Sprint Customer Service.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    If you can say that your RAZR is better at being a phone than your Pre, then you may have a defective Pre. I went through three RAZRs on AT&T and the ONLY thing I liked about that phone was the size. I had the ringer volume up all the way and always missed calls. And If there was any ambiant noise I couldn't hear the person on the other end of the connection. My Pre on the other hand has a very loud ringer (and I haven't installed those louder ringtones). I've never missed hearing the phone ring. My call quality is about the best I've ever had (My old centro was only slightly better than the RAZR in being able to hear the person speaking).

Just so you know: I have a BMW convertible. With the top closed I could barely hear my conversation with my Centro. With the Pre, driving with the top down on the highway I'm still able to hear the conversation better (windows up to minimize wind noise).

I've never had experience with voice dialing that didn't frustrate me so I don't miss it. Only my RAZR and Centro had it. My Centro would often dial the wrong number. The RAZR would make me repeat the number so often that I wanted to throw the phone.

I don't think my Pre is defective as it seems to have the same issues as many other reports but none of the bad ones - no stuck pixels, no screen bleed, etc.. I do think the ringers are a bit quiet but that was easy to resolve with different sound clips. My Razr was the V3 one for comparison - I think it was one of the older ones but it worked great and did OK with texting.

The Pre on the other hand, I think does an exceptional job with mail and contacts. The camera is good and contrary to a lot of reports I've seen the battery life is decent...or at least is now that I disabled the frequency of checking my Exchange acct. It does run a bit hot but only with multiple apps or a very long call plus anything in the background.

There is a lot to like in the Pre and more to like in WebOS but I still miss voice dial..but only in the car.

Some people suggested setting quick dial but I really don't want to look at the phone at all in the car - so I start a call before I start driving and don't call anyone else during the trip...but it meant changing my daily habbits which bugs me a bit as part of me feels this new shiny gadget should do more not less...for the most part it does anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    Sell the phone then.

Apple just came out with voice dialing. Give it some time.

When you bought the Pre, no materials said it would have it at or shortly after launch. It'll come with an update in the future.

God, I'm so sick of these whiney "wtf" threads about features that were never part of the Pre's initial spec.
    Get real dude. Being able to answer and hold a conversation isn't and shouldn't be a "feature" but rather a given as it has been for the last 6 Palm phones I have had. I agree with AnnieK. The Pre is at best a mediocre cell phone due to poor reception (I never needed an airaive until now) and poor reception KILLS so many of the wonderful features the Pre does well. Having a cloud based phone that has reception issues is silly.

"Hey, you sound like your underwater again," said the person I was talking to on my Pre for the 100th time!

Yes, the voice dialing complaint is a bit silly I agree, but, it should still have it. The rest of your post SUCKS because all of the complaints the OP voiced are KNOWN issues that shouldn't be issues on any cell phone and aren't issues on other Palm phones like the Centro and even my 9 year old Palm cell.

I HATE "stop complaining because the Pre is new" posts.

Palm has been around longer than the iphone so you would think they would be able to make a functioning cell phone. For many of us who have defective Pre's (again and again) it's like owning a PALM PILOT. I want a smart PHONE.

When the Pre functions as it should, it's a thing of beauty...WHEN it functions properly.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Umm...fail what?? Just for curiosity sake - is this supposed to be a contest? I really don't get people who feel the need to attack someone who is simply venting about something. You don't need to read it and you don't have to be a jerk.
    A Jerk? aww so sorry i hurt your feelings darlin, but callin people dummy will do that.

The responses you got in this thread are a direct result of your approach,
    people don't like complainers, people don't like fools. People don't like misrepresenters. You seem to be all three.

You "researched" this phone and plunked down $300 and weren't 100% sure what you were getting, then you make a thread titled "still no voice dialing"
    When did any palm document or press release promise this feature?
    When did any update promise this feature?

that is why you fail, not a contest, just the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    gotta ask--why did you BUY THE PHONE?? Didn't you find out about these issues prior to plunking down a credit card? I didn't buy one, because I did my research.
    DUH..."Hey Sprint guy....Does this Pre work as a cell phone and have reception issues that make the cloud useless much of the time and does it drop calls and does it sound muffled when you talk to people and do you have to tap the screen four times before it responds and does it randomly shut off and oreo and and and and?"

What do you think Mr. Sprint guy is going to say???????????????????????

Sprint Guy..."Nope, no problems at all."
    AND if I come here and do my "research" like you all suggest then MOST of you Pre Fan Boys will tell me that the Pre is awesome and NOT to listen to all the idiots complaining. So who do I listen to when I do this "life saving research" some of you suggest will cure cancer? The Pre fan boys? The Sprint rep? (lololol GOD NO) Myself when I use it and love it because the OS rocks but it has so many BASIC flaws that Sprint has to deal out free airaves, dropped call credits, and other issues revolving around poor signal quality? YES. I listen to myself and base my judgement of the Pre on FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE. This is what the OP did and some of you are ***** slapping her for it. Good God.
    I missed voice dialing for about 3 days. It used to go like this:

Press BT button. "Call so and so"
    "Repeat"
    "Call so and so"
    "Repeat"
    "Call so and so"
    ...Voicedial gives up.

Now on the Pre its:

Press and hold speed dial.
    Call goes through.
    yeah, done trying to save this thread. closed.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12