1.    #1  
    First and foremost, I did not drop my phone.. It's in perfect condition.. But there's a crack above the screen on the left side.. When you slide the phone open, it flexes.

I just tried to go to the sprint store and they said that they'd turn a blind eye and exchange it, but that i'd be getting a refurb. The guy I talked to said I should file an insurance claim for $50 and get a new one..

I do have an issue paying 50 bucks for something I didn't even do! It's bad build quality! For reference, mine is one of the launch units

What do you guys think I should do? I initially went there to switch back to my blackberry, but I just couldn't do it.. As many complaints I have with this phone, they can all be fixed with updates.. Must be patient..

Thanks!
    Can you take a pic of the damage, I am just curious to see what it looks like.

Anyhow...is there any other stores that you could try? With all the people out there that had as many as 3 or 4 Pres, I don't find it unreasonable for them to stretch things a bit and give you a new one, not a refurb! It's only been a few days past the 30 day period. What if you call Palm and see what they have to say? After all, doesn't the Pre have a 1 year warranty? You might have to wait a bit for them to send you one, but it's better than a refurb or having to shell out 50 bucks for them to give you a new one.
  3.    #3  
    Sorry for the bad pic, all i had available was a crap camera.. I can post better pics tonight.. The crack looks worse than it is in this picture, as the plastic really gets bright when light is near.. Thats how i noticed it today..

Its on the right side

And in 2 days I will have had this for 30 days, so the store is willing to work with me.. But I dont want a refurb.. But is a refurb any worse than this launch unit??

Might not be a refurb, might just be in a refurb bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by logie View Post
    Sorry for the bad pic, all i had available was a crap camera.. I can post better pics tonight.. The crack looks worse than it is in this picture, as the plastic really gets bright when light is near.. Thats how i noticed it today..

Its on the right side

And in 2 days I will have had this for 30 days, so the store is willing to work with me.. But I dont want a refurb.. But is a refurb any worse than this launch unit??
    My wife's has a similar crack, unfortunately we were not as fortunate as you. As far as getting a refurb, its better than having a phone with a crack in it and also consider that if the refurb is having problems you can exchange it easier than having a phone with a crack in it. There might not be anything wrong with the refurb phone... it may have been a simple return which went back to sprint and now is being reprocessed for exchanges. So, if we were presented with the same situation, I would take the refurb and see how it goes, then, if the refurb phone is buggy I would exchange it for another Pre.

Best of luck and hopefully everything works out for you.
    I am proud to say that I too have the exact crack on the top of my launch-day Pre and i have NEVER dropped it either! i am esthatic and sad that this has happened to somebody else besides me. LOL. i am finally bringing it in to the Sprint Store today
    "I have to return some videotapes."
    And it has happened to mine, but in two places. Like the others, I have never dropped it or abused it in anyway. Both cracks are hairline and I only noticed them when I felt the raised edge with my fingernail. Once I looked closer, I saw one crack (1/4 in.)on the middle left side of the slider/screen and the other crack on the lower right side of the slider/screen. I have not taken the Pre back because I have it finally loaded with my desired info/apps. I will bite the bullet and head to the Sprint store once one of the cracks migrate onto the screen.
    I have a crack in the same spot. It was from a fall, but of one foot. It's not too noticeable so I'm not concerned.