Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    I currently have both a Treo Pro and a Palm Pre sitting on my desk. I need to sell one. I have used the TP for a while, and have used any number of other WM devices before it, so I'm very used to WM and the Treo form factor. I got a Pre because they are cool. I activated the Pre (causing me to lose my old, awesome sprint account, in favor of a new crappy sprint account) and after a few hours, I decided I didn't like it and went back to the TP. I haven't sold it, so I played with the Pre again and I am intriqued with it, I love the screen, I love the GUI, but there are several things I can't seem to get comfortable with (because of my TP and WinMo experience). Can you tell me how you deal with the following:

I find it to be terribly cumbersome to click links on a webpage (particularly a webforum that doesn't have a mobile version) because the links are tiny, so I'm always having to stretch the screen (which means using two hands, which is not always convenient) and then clicking the link and then resizing the screen. I wish that the browser would automatically resize like the WinMo browser.

I find one-handed operation to be very difficult. I wish there was a five way/D pad button to select on move around. It's such a pain to try to select things on the screen. I realize that while I use the touchscreen regularly on my TP, I also use the center button all the time.

My Pre is very slow compared to the TP.

I hate how the volume switch only turns off certain sounds. that doesn't make any sense to me. If you want it muted, it should be muted.

All in all, I think I just prefer the form factor of the TP to the Pre (really it's the dpad). I wish I could install a Pre like OS for my TP - that would be ideal.

Please don't take this is an attack on the Pre. I think it's cool and i'd be inclined to keep it if you can help me figure out how to address the foregoing issues.
    As far as the web pages go, they have this thing (maybe called smartzoom?) and you just double tap the text that you want it zoomed to, and it zooms so the text is exactly screen-wide. That way you don't have to mess with the "pinch" technique.
    Just return the Pre. You dont have to sell it at a loss.
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    I bought it from Ebay...
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msgott View Post
    Can you tell me how you deal with the following:

I find it to be terribly cumbersome to click links on a webpage (particularly a webforum that doesn't have a mobile version) because the links are tiny, so I'm always having to stretch the screen (which means using two hands, which is not always convenient) and then clicking the link and then resizing the screen. I wish that the browser would automatically resize like the WinMo browser.

I find one-handed operation to be very difficult. I wish there was a five way/D pad button to select on move around. It's such a pain to try to select things on the screen. I realize that while I use the touchscreen regularly on my TP, I also use the center button all the time.

My Pre is very slow compared to the TP.

I hate how the volume switch only turns off certain sounds. that doesn't make any sense to me. If you want it muted, it should be muted.
    You just double tap the text around it and it scales it right up to full screen. From there you can even turn it sideways and usually the link becomes ginormous.

Maybe try holding it differently? With the keyboard closed or open, whichever you aren't doing now.

My Pre is way faster than my previous Windows Mobile phone, but then I had a Sprint Mogul.

If you want to mute everything just turn the toggle at the top of the phone for vibrate mode.
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    Also, is there a way to make it NOT auto-rotate?
    I bought it from Ebay...
    Oh...

I dont use the double tap method a lot, as I can use two fingers on the same hand to zoom in (I have large hands). But I think this could help eliminate one problem for you (which seems to be your main issue).

But since he values the Form Factor of the TP more, then its obvious what he should do...utilize the marketplace here to sell the Pre.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Also, is there a way to make it NOT auto-rotate?
    why would you want that?
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    This will not help with the one handedness, but to move the cursor around on an email or in text. Hold down the orange function button and move your finger around on the screen. You can swipe across the center of the screen to move back one charachter. Similar to selecting with the shift key.

I haven't had an issue with the button yet. It will only play sounds if you are using the music player or the video player I think. I guess if you use the vibrate toggle to mute the sound for a minute, I could see that being a pain. I usually just hit the little music note in the notification bar and hit pause to kill audio.

I came from a touch diamond and its d-pad was almost useless so I am used to not having one. I do miss a dpad and wish the button was a trackball instead of a button. But it is what it is. I don't miss the daily reboot or the sensless waking of the screen that always occurred on win mo. I have had to find workarounds for some of the missing apps but the experience after using for a month has been positive. I had to make it my daily driver for 2 weeks before I really got used to it. I haven't even touched my diamond in 3 weeks. Good luck.
    Treo 300, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700P, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, HTC Mogul, Motorola Q9c, HTC Advantage, Treo 800w, Touch Pro, Treo Pro, Touch Diamond, Palm Pre, Touch Pro 2, and Palm Pre