Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As stated. Check it out. Just beautiful, especially in landscape using the page down gesture.

It is no longer necessary to use the workaround of going to m.forums.precental.net or google news first.
    And you like the content of NYTimes why?
    fantastic, another site optimizes for the pre, even though there is already a dedicated app for it.
    umm dont we have a dedicated app for NYTimes?
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    fantastic, another site optimizes for the pre, even though there is already a dedicated app for it.
    That can't do landscape, or page down, and doesn't contain the entire paper. It also CONTINUALLY shows an ad at the top. Oh yeah and it's beta. Is this the children's hour or something?
    Last edited by galavanter; 07/15/2009 at 06:40 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    umm dont we have a dedicated app for NYTimes?
    It must be...
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    That can't do landscape, or page down, and doesn't contain the entire paper. It also shows an ad at the top. Oh yeah and it's beta. Is this the children's hour or something?
    So maybe instead of having a nearly useless app for nyt, palm could have come out of the gate with something better, no?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    So maybe instead of having a nearly useless app for nyt, palm could have come out of the gate with something better, no?
    Changing tactics are we? Stop nipping at my heels. I started a thread to alert those who read the NYT that it is now optimized for the Pre. No more, no less. Go dog somebody else.
    Sweet! I've been using the NY Times App beta, but don't like the fact that only selected stories are available, and there are a few rough edges on the interface that were annoying me.

Now if the Washington Post mobile site was legible, I'd be in newsjunkie heaven.
    Nice! Thanks for the heads up, Galavanter. I'm bookmarking this, and deleting the NYT app. This is MUCH better.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    Now if the Washington Post mobile site was legible, I'd be in newsjunkie heaven.
    Consider yourself there. After going to the nytimes mobile site, AND turning to landscape and back to portrait, type in mobile.washingtonpost.com, or use your bookmark. The Pre browser remembers the zoom scale of the previous site you visited, and you can now read the Post in a much larger font than it usually renders on the Pre. It won't work if you start a new card. You must type in address or use your bookmark on the same card as nytimes.

These sites also are rendered larger once you have gone first to mobile.nytimes.com and turned the Pre to landscape and back. Turning to landscape is only necessary once when at the nytimes. These other sites may then be visited one after the other (in no particular order of course), and read in portrait mode only (although I much prefer landscape due to the even larger font and the page down gesture).

m.usatoday.com
    mobile.time.com
    i.newsweek.com
    mobile.latimes.com
    m.detnews.com
    Last edited by galavanter; 07/15/2009 at 06:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    After going to the nytimes mobile site, AND turning to landscape and back to portrait, type in mobile.washingtonpost.com, or use your bookmark. The Pre browser remembers the zoom scale of the previous site you visited, and you can now read the Post in a much larger font than it usually renders on the Pre. It won't work if you start a new card.
    Thank you for this great, if baroque, tip!

It begs the question about why the browser doesn't autoscale the Post or the other sites you cite, but having a workaround is wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    It begs the question about why the browser doesn't autoscale the Post or the other sites you cite, but having a workaround is wonderful.
    Agreed!
    What is it that causes the pre browser to do this? I can't wait for this to be fixed!

Galavanter, thanks for the fix and the list of sites that were "broke" that now have a workaround.

You can add m.answers.com to the list.
    Also, for subscribers, m.weightwatchers.com works great now with this trick.

Perhaps a sticky post should be put up that has this list of mobile sites that do not render correct yet can be galavanterized.
    This sounds like the perfect homebrew application!! Please somebody crank this one out!! Thanks, Kevin.

Consider yourself there. After going to the nytimes mobile site, AND turning to landscape and back to portrait, type in mobile.washingtonpost.com, or use your bookmark. The Pre browser remembers the zoom scale of the previous site you visited, and you can now read the Post in a much larger font than it usually renders on the Pre. It won't work if you start a new card. You must type in address or use your bookmark on the same page as nytimes.

These sites also are rendered larger once you have gone first to mobile.nytimes.com and turned the Pre to landscape and back. Turning to landscape is only necessary once when at the nytimes. These other sites may then be visited one after the other (in no particular order of course), and read in portrait mode only (although I much prefer landscape due to the even larger font and the page down gesture).

m.usatoday.com
    mobile.time.com
    i.newsweek.com
    mobile.latimes.com
    m.detnews.com
    Using my Pre to help run: www.at-peace.net

Sharp Zaurus->HP Jornada->Sony Clie T615->Treo 650 (CDMA)->Treo 755p->Palm Pre (Disappointed) -> Iphone4 (Happy)
  15.    #15  
    Glad to help my fellow news junkies. I was seriously considering returning the Pre a few weeks ago until I stumbled across a connection between visiting m.forums.precentral.net first and then the NY Times mobile site. Not just the NY Times, but far too many (mobile) sites were just unreadable for me. What a shame, because the Pre in landscape with page down kicks hell out of the iPhone news reading experience imho.

Here is the thread I began a few weeks ago, for those interested:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...ing-issue.html

Member Jason in that thread knows what is going on. It seems it is not the Pre but the websites themselves, that do not recognize the Pre. Like if it ain't baroque, don't fix it dwhitman.

The proof is the NY Times mobile site itself. Until last night (for me), it needed to be "zoomed" by going to m.forums.precentral.net first. The NY Times has apparently changed something on their end. The site now reads great on the Pre without aid and has also now become a zoom enabler. David Pogue never replied to my email about this, but I wonder...

I'd be happy to continue adding to the list. Please post sites where this has a positive effect.

mobile.washingtonpost.com
    m.usatoday.com
    mobile.time.com
    i.newsweek.com
    mobile.latimes.com
    m.detnews.com
    m.answers.com
    m.weightwatchers.com
    m.rememberthemilk.com
    Last edited by galavanter; 07/15/2009 at 09:31 PM.
    Stupid question, what is the page down gesture?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by KallDrexx View Post
    Stupid question, what is the page down gesture?
    When you turn the phone to landscape mode, a swipe on either side of the center button will scroll exactly one page (up or down), no more, no less. This is not possible on the iPhone to my knowledge, certainly not without covering up your reading material. It makes for a much more enjoyable reading experience imho, not having to worry about scrolling too far, or not enough. Do it slowly and gently, it's very responsive.
    Holy crap that is awesome thanks
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I have to disagree about reading on the Pre being better, the larger screen of the iPhone and its more responsive scrolling (iPhone has never jumped back, shown the grey checkerboard, or been choppy for me) provide a much better reading experience for me. Hopefully Palm can fix these issues soon.

Thanks for the NYTimes tip though! Now I can delete that stupid app too.
    This is a huge improvement over built in app

Fred
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast