Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Palm Pre Developers Unite
    Elizabeth Woyke, 07.14.09, 01:50 PM EDT
    Software developers interested in the new smart phone are organizing meetings across the country. Apps will follow.

Palm's new smart phone, the Pre, frequently gets knocked for its lack of native applications. Palm's App Catalog stocks just a few dozen applications while some of its competitors' app stores boast several thousand.

On Monday night, a group of about 80 people gathered in a lower Manhattan conference room to redress the imbalance.

The event marked the first large, public gathering of Palm Pre developers since the phone launched in early June. Some companies on the hunt for engineering talent, including ad agencies and media companies, also attended.

In the coming weeks, similar meetings will crop up across the country, giving Pre developers a venue to mingle, share tips and book assignments. Web development firm BlueSwitch, which hosted the Monday gathering, is already planning an event in the Boston area and intends to expand to Washington, D.C., San Francisco, Los Angeles and Chicago. It will also continue to hold a monthly New York gathering in its Manhattan office.

BlueSwitch hopes its efforts will yield a boom in Pre applications. "It will be an explosion that will shock Wall Street," says Michael Prenez-Isbell, the firm's director of mobile development. BlueSwitch is hosting the events free of charge, but believes linking its brand to the Pre will eventually boost its bottom line. The firm is already developing Pre applications for several clients and would like to see that business grow.

Palm is lending a hand. It helped promote the New York event on social media sites like Twitter and arranged to have a regional manager attend the gathering, though he ultimately didn't make it. Sunnyvale, Calif.-based Palm will host a separate Silicon Valley meeting of Pre developers later this month.
    Palm Pre Developers Unite - Forbes.com
    Wow that's great news that things will be coming .
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Ah, happy news
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    Ah, happy news
    Yeah, but I still retain my constitutional right to complain to an AG about the slowness of their process. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I truly think people outside of this forum have no idea how explosive (tried to be original, but that's a darn good word for it) new app appearances will be. The number of developers already in the SDK program is huge and growing. The excitement seems palpable.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    "An explosion that will shock Wall Street" is somewhat over the top, if not a bit untimely. But, ultimately, the news is good.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Haven't we had enough explosions on Wall Street for the last year or so?
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    Haven't we had enough explosions on Wall Street for the last year or so?
    Actually those were implosions.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Actually those were implosions.
    You know, your right! Wall Street has turned into a black hole! So it will vacuum any new explosions right up!
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    "An explosion that will shock Wall Street" is somewhat over the top, if not a bit untimely. But, ultimately, the news is good.
    Okay, GroovyMcTwain (yes, I noticed the avatar change again ), I'll bet you that by the Xmas selling season there will be well over 2,000 apps in the Pre App store. Would zooming from 30 to 2,000+ in four months be explosive in your book? If not, what would?

In fact, we should all start laying bets on how many apps by Black Friday. It might be fun.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Okay, GroovyMcTwain (yes, I noticed the avatar change again ), I'll bet you that by the Xmas selling season there will be well over 2,000 apps in the Pre App store. Would zooming from 30 to 2,000+ in four months be explosive in your book? If not, what would?
    I don't know. I think there could be 5,000 apps in the catalog by Thanksgiving and Wall Street would give little more than a hiccup. On the flip side, there could be 300-400 apps that include some really innovative stuff and things would start to get juicy. If that happens, the term "pre-market" would take on a whole new meaning.

In fact, we should all start laying bets on how many apps by Black Friday. It might be fun.
    Great idea!
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    If we did have 300-400 innovative, useful apps... then I want to see a Pre commercial bashing Iphone on Quality over Quantity.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I don't know. I think there could be 5,000 apps in the catalog by Thanksgiving and Wall Street would give little more than a hiccup. On the flip side, there could be 300-400 apps that include some really innovative stuff and things would start to get juicy. If that happens, the term "pre-market" would take on a whole new meaning.

Great idea!
    Shall I give it a try? I've never done one of those poll thingies. If so, what parameters? How would seven options sound? 100 or less, 100-500, 500-1,000, 1,000-2,000, 2,000-5,000, 5,000-10,000, 10,000+? Does that sound good?

Is there a format for making it sticky or is that a moderator's judgement?
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    If we did have 300-400 innovative, useful apps... then I want to see a Pre commercial bashing Iphone on Quality over Quantity.
    Funny, I think either Rubinstein or McNamee used that premise somewhere in some interview.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Shall I give it a try? I've never done one of those poll thingies. If so, what parameters? How would seven options sound? 100 or less, 100-500, 500-1,000, 1,000-2,000, 2,000-5,000, 5,000-10,000, 10,000+? Does that sound good?

Is there a format for making it sticky or is that a moderator's judgement?
    I think more reasonably, 0-99, 100-499, 500-999, 1000-1499, 1500-1999, 2000-2499, 2500-2999, 3000+. But, then again, I may be inserting my personal bias into the poll.

I think only moderators can make stickies. Not sure.

EDIT: Just make sure to do it under the right sub-forum or face the wrath of berdinkerdickle
    Last edited by groovy; 07/15/2009 at 01:18 AM.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I think more reasonably, 0-99, 100-499, 500-999, 1000-1499, 1500-1999, 2000-2499, 2500-2999, 3000+. But, then again, I may be inserting my personal bias into the poll.

I think only moderators can make stickies. Not sure.
    Okay. I'll think on it. I've got to get to bed now anyway. Thanks.
    Wait, people think there will be thousands of apps by years end?? While there is little doubt that this is great news, let's be realistic people. Since the SDK is still months away from being publicly released, merely hundreds of apps by that time seems more likely.
    No way in hell there will be thousands of apps by year end. Not a chance some of you need a reality check. The SDK is srill almost 2 months out even if it comes in a month I just don't see it happening. Not a chance. You are setting yourself up for disapointment.
    Out of context quote, don't get your hopes up. Read the sentences immediately before and after the offending quote.

BlueSwitch hopes its efforts will yield a boom in Pre applications."It will be an explosion that will shock Wall Street," says Michael Prenez-Isbell, the firm's director of mobile development. BlueSwitch is hosting the events free of charge, but believes linking its brand to the Pre will eventually boost its bottom line. The firm is already developing Pre applications for several clients and would like to see that business grow.

It clearly meant they potentially see an explosion by working with Palm, not that they have seen an actual one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtom2444 View Post
    Wait, people think there will be thousands of apps by years end?? While there is little doubt that this is great news, let's be realistic people. Since the SDK is still months away from being publicly released, merely hundreds of apps by that time seems more likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    No way in hell there will be thousands of apps by year end. Not a chance some of you need a reality check. The SDK is srill almost 2 months out even if it comes in a month I just don't see it happening. Not a chance. You are setting yourself up for disapointment.
    Well, for those wanting to program, they have the SDK. I'll have a pretty polished App before Thanksgiving. I don't think it unlikely that there are a thousand or more like me. I also don't think I will only have one App by Thanksgiving. So it is entirely possible.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I heard about that. It's really great, and I am happy to see the community of developers coming together. It's good that Palm is letting them meet-up, unlike what Apple did for the first bit of development.
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast