Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. budders's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
       #1  
    Should i be worried about the Palm Pre's build quality? I dont have one yet. Ive herd only good things about the phone until i came to this site. Everything seems fine with the actual features and such its just that every one seems to have a problem with the build quality of some sort. Now, is it just only the people that are having problems with the phone come on here and complain? Say 10% have problomes and those are the only ones saying things and the other 90% is silent about it because there are no issues. Am i only hearing the crap about the pre and not any of the good stuff? I hope its something as simple as what i think it is. BTW can some one explain to me "oreo"??? im not sure what it is, sorry im a n00b to the palm pre, but i have been a treo user for years
  2. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by budders View Post
    Should i be worried about the Palm Pre's build quality? I dont have one yet. Ive herd only good things about the phone until i came to this site. Everything seems fine with the actual features and such its just that every one seems to have a problem with the build quality of some sort. Now, is it just only the people that are having problems with the phone come on here and complain? Say 10% have problomes and those are the only ones saying things and the other 90% is silent about it because there are no issues. Am i only hearing the crap about the pre and not any of the good stuff? I hope its something as simple as what i think it is. BTW can some one explain to me "oreo"??? im not sure what it is, sorry im a n00b to the palm pre, but i have been a treo user for years
    If you read the literature on the Pre and it seems like it will meet your needs then, by all means, get it. I came from the Treo too and, while there are some things the Treo was much better at, I'm very happy making the switch.

    BTW, the "oreo effect" is a problem some users have experienced where the screen seems to have excessive side-to-side movement. Some people have apparently experienced quite a bit of slack but I think for most it's minimal. Anyway, you can request to inspect the phone before you purchase it.
  3. #3  
    You'll love the Pre! I am one who had build quality issues (bubble under screen and oreo effect) with the device I received on launch day. I exchanged at the 30 day mark and the second device I received is rock solid! Posts I've read here seem to suggest there have been improvements in build quality as others report similar experiences. Go get it and enjoy it already!!!
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by budders View Post
    Should i be worried about the Palm Pre's build quality? I dont have one yet. Ive herd only good things about the phone until i came to this site. Everything seems fine with the actual features and such its just that every one seems to have a problem with the build quality of some sort. Now, is it just only the people that are having problems with the phone come on here and complain? Say 10% have problomes and those are the only ones saying things and the other 90% is silent about it because there are no issues. Am i only hearing the crap about the pre and not any of the good stuff? I hope its something as simple as what i think it is. BTW can some one explain to me "oreo"??? im not sure what it is, sorry im a n00b to the palm pre, but i have been a treo user for years
    Honestly, you should go check out the Pre for yourself. I think that overall the build quality of the pre is pretty good. It is a slider phone, and like anything else with moving parts, you will get a little play in the slider. I have had my pre since 6/23 and have a beautiful screen (still unprotected because I'm waiting for my Seidio case to arrive), my pre doesn't have any pixel issues, and the device works wonderfully.

    That said, my device DOES have the "oreo" issue, which is probably best characterized as a great deal of side to side movement in the slider. On my pre, this is only when the slider is closed. When the slider is open, it is solid as a rock. My local Sprint Corporate store has ordered a replacement unit.

    Regardless of the slider, the Palm Pre has exceeded most of my expectations. I think it is great device. It is the wave of the future. And I have already come to rely on it a great deal. Go get one. See for yourself. And *IF* you have problems (and it is very likely that you WILL NOT -- I believe most people are not having issues with the device) Sprint gives you 30 days to decide whether or not you want to keep the phone.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
  5. nhyde's Avatar
    Posts
    118 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    #5  
    My wife had to return hers, she just felt it shifted(oreo) a lot, so we exchanged at Best Buy. Her new one is much better, with some minor wiggle (like mine).

    If you get a bad one, exchange. Simple eh?
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhyde View Post
    My wife had to return hers, she just felt it shifted(oreo) a lot, so we exchanged at Best Buy. Her new one is much better, with some minor wiggle (like mine).

    If you get a bad one, exchange. Simple eh?
    Unless you have to go through seven, as some have, to get an "acceptable" one.

    In which case, not so simple.....eh?
  7. budders's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
       #7  
    thanks guys for all the feedback. im positive this is the phone iam going to get tomorrow. Its probally the best phone on sprint, ya know? and switching to att for the iphone is out of the question, the 200$ early termination fee is a real bummer. It would cost my whole family 800$ in all to terminate all sprint contracts if we wanted to change. < out of the question. Ill positively give the Pre a try. When i go to the sprint store to check it out and i ask to open it and to inspect it, what are some major things i should look for to ensure i have solid device? Also i have another question, i know the pre is 199$ with all the rebates and such but what other fees are there to setup and acticate the phone?? I think there is a 30 dollar activation/setup fee? any others? can someone confirm this?? thanks guys!
  8. #8  
    I think it is $18/line activation for existing customers (but may get waived) and $36/line for new customers. The $199 price point is after $100 mail in rebate so you'll be a bit more out of pocket tomorrow.
  9. #9  
    The phone is great! It is always easier and more common for people to post issues with a phone or anything period. I agree with the previous posts...inspect it and give it a try if you like it then fantastic! if not, its ok.

    Good luck and hope your Pre experience is fantastic!
  10. budders's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by kuhawksr1 View Post
    I think it is $18/line activation for existing customers (but may get waived) and $36/line for new customers. The $199 price point is after $100 mail in rebate so you'll be a bit more out of pocket tomorrow.
    @#$%!!#%$

    so im going to be out 318$ ?? *sigh

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions