1.    #1  
    Hi all,
    I've avoided rooting my Pre 'cause I'm scared.

I've installed apps via the SDK and would love to install the tethering app, but requires additional files to be installed via a rooted Pre.

Has anyone run into any issue from rooting?
    Any problems upgrading with a rooted Pre?

Thanks for any info!
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
  2.    #2  
    Anyone have any opinions on this?
    Thanks.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    No problems here, especially if you're only doing one or two things in root...as long as you are careful, nothing will go wrong. Spoken from someone who had no linux, css, java, javascript background, and no experience with the programs beforehand.
    I've done it, and haven't had any issues. It depends on what you do with it. Rooting on the Pre is not like jailbreaking on the iPhone. We're not "breaking" anything here, but rather using paths that Palm has left open for developers. If you follow the instructions for gaining root access, and don't follow the "next steps", then just follow aonic's instructions to install his app, you're really not changing anything on the Pre, just installing some things. Just make sure to take your Pre back out of developer mode when you're done. I think this is really quite safe if you're the kind of person who can follow instructions.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer