Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I have been trying to get in touch with the Sprint rep. from my old company for over three weeks. I quit my job there two weeks ago so technically I wouldn't qualify for the 18% discount but she is going to give it to me anyway. My new job has the same discount rate for AT&T and Verizon but I don't want to be on those network plans.

I have been visiting these forums for over a month now and I have already picked up Phntom Skinz and a Sprint vehicle charger. The only accessory left for me to purchase is the Touchstone.

I have been reading about everything, including all of the issues people are having with build quality. I hope I get a good one and I feel a little better since I should be getting one built a little later than the first ones. I am truly excited and ripe with anticipation of my first smartphone. I did stop by the lcoal Sprint store and the pretty hot Sprint rep allowed to demo her personal Pre. It will definitely take a lot of getting used to for me but I don't mind.

The rep told me I would get my phone tomorrow or Thursday at the latest since they ship overnight so of course I am hoping for tomorrow but if the last three weeks told me anything it's she isn't very quick to respond so I'm not holding my breath.

I am crossing my fingers that I do not have any battery, charging, oreo or cracked screen issues and I won't have to exchange my Pre until the Pre 2 comes out next year. . Wish me luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewzer View Post
    I have been trying to get in touch with the Sprint rep. from my old company for over three weeks. I quit my job there two weeks ago so technically I wouldn't qualify for the 18% discount but she is going to give it to me anyway. My new job has the same discount rate for AT&T and Verizon but I don't want to be on those network plans.

I have been visiting these forums for over a month now and I have already picked up Phntom Skinz and a Sprint vehicle charger. The only accessory left for me to purchase is the Touchstone.

I have been reading about everything, including all of the issues people are having with build quality. I hope I get a good one and I feel a little better since I should be getting one built a little later than the first ones. I am truly excited and ripe with anticipation of my first smartphone. I did stop by the lcoal Sprint store and the pretty hot Sprint rep allowed to demo her personal Pre. It will definitely take a lot of getting used to for me but I don't mind.

The rep told me I would get my phone tomorrow or Thursday at the latest since they ship overnight so of course I am hoping for tomorrow but if the last three weeks told me anything it's she isn't very quick to respond so I'm not holding my breath.

I am crossing my fingers that I do not have any battery, charging, oreo or cracked screen issues and I won't have to exchange my Pre until the Pre 2 comes out next year. . Wish me luck!
    good luck to u!!
    I dont know, have had my PRE since launch day at 8 am east coast and it has NO dead pixels, oreo effect, gaps, cracked screen...battery is fine with how I use it, better reception than any other Sprint phone I have had....oh and it actually works.

Becareful though...it is pretty unbelievable around this forum to actually have a PRE that works, or to be patient for fixes/apps to be rolled out.
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    I dont know, have had my PRE since launch day at 8 am east coast and it has NO dead pixels, oreo effect, gaps, cracked screen...battery is fine with how I use it, better reception than any other Sprint phone I have had....oh and it actually works.

Becareful though...it is pretty unbelievable around this forum to actually have a PRE that works, or to be patient for fixes/apps to be rolled out.
    same here but i have 1 dead pixel which might be dead or stuck...i used to have 4 but i fixed it by putting up this youtube video that supposedly fixed stuck pixels so yeah but i dont got the oreo effect its really minor...so im very happy with my pre
    Some things we though of as "issues" probably really aren't important to worry about:
    ===============================================================

My Pre is sometimes brighter in the bottom/left of the screen, but since it was otherwise good, I hesitated exchanging it (at least until we could collectively determine whether that was a real issue). It turns out that the bottom of the screen is where there are LEDs used for the screen backlight. After learning this, I looked further to the left and I can see other LEDs across the same row. I only see this when the Pre has been running for a while and slightly warmer. Now that I understand the issue, I don't really see it as a defect (or at least not one that I'm worried about).

Regarding the "oreo" problem, most (if not all) phones probably can be forced into oreo:
    ================================================================

I brought my phone into a Sprint store (while buying a different model phone for my daughter). I told the rep that I didn't believe I had the "oreo" problem. He asked if I wanted to know for sure, and gave the phone a good twist after I said OK. Unbelievable to me, even my phone could be oreo'ed. He quickly returned my phone to normal and I won't be doing that again, but it's good to know that probably all Pre's can be oreo'ed if you try hard enough.

I guess the point I'm making here is that: while there were a significant amount of duds in the initial launch, some of us may have been overly critical and returned good phones before fully understanding the problems. I know this happened when the treo's were launched, and I glad I didn't needlessly exchange my good pre.

--
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Yeah, I won't be returning or worrying about my Pre if it has one dead pixel. I can live with some things as long as they aren't major. I also happen to realize while there have been complaints on this board that there are more people with little or no problems with their phone.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Some things we though of as "issues" probably really aren't important to worry about:

My Pre is sometimes brighter in the bottom/left of the screen, but since it was otherwise good, I hesitated exchanging it (at least until we could collectively determine whether that was a real issue). It turns out that the bottom of the screen is where there are LEDs used for the screen backlight. After learning this, I looked further to the left and I can see other LEDs across the same row. I only see this when the Pre has been running for a while and slightly warmer. Now that I understand the issue, I don't really see it as a defect (or at least not one that I'm worried about).

Regarding the "oreo" problem, most (if not all) phones probably can be forced into oreo:

I brought my phone into a Sprint store (while buying a different model phone for my daughter). I told the rep that I didn't believe I had the "oreo" problem. He asked if I wanted to know for sure, and gave the phone a good twist after I said OK. Unbelievable to me, even my phone could be oreo'ed. He quickly returned my phone to normal and I won't be doing that again, but it's good to know that probably all Pre's can be oreo'ed if you try hard enough.

I guess the point I'm making here is that: while there were a significant amount of duds in the initial launch, some of us may have been overly critical and returned good phones before fully understanding the problems. I know this happened when the treo's were launched, and I glad I didn't needlessly exchange my good pre.

--
    Bob
    Huh, so he pretty much broke your phone? It doesn't seem like a slider mechanism should be purposely torqued the the wrong way.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post

--
    Bob
    Well, first, I'm shocked that you let anyone do that to your pre. And, second, the "oreo" effect that plagues some pres isn't something that the pre has to be forced into. It is a DEFECT which is obvious-- not something that someone would have to "try hard enough" to reproduce. On my pre, the slider is so loose that the whole top screen skates along with my gestures. I have to hold the phone together in order to gesture... or to get to the power button. My phone's slider is only loose when the device is in the closed position. When it's open... the slider locks into place and is very solid.

I'm waiting on a replacement pre from my Sprint Corporate store. Other than that, I am really happy with the pre. In fact, I really LOVE it. And I would recommend one to anybody in the market for an awesome smartphone. But please, don't just assume that those of us with really wonky sliders have "been overly critical and returned good phones before fully understanding the problems." I *think* most people are bright enough to understand the difference between a little play in a slider and when their phone twists in an abnormal way.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    One more question, and yes I searched. Will my Pre work with Windows 7? I just built a new computer and I have an original Windows XP installation (legit) but I had to jump through hoops to get it to install properly and then once I had it installed it wasn't stable. So I just decided to wipe Windows XP clean and install Windows 7. I am really digging Windows 7 so far so I am hoping I don't have to reinstall Windows XP. Can someone let me know if I am GTG with Windows 7?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewzer View Post
    One more question, and yes I searched. Will my Pre work with Windows 7? I just built a new computer and I have an original Windows XP installation (legit) but I had to jump through hoops to get it to install properly and then once I had it installed it wasn't stable. So I just decided to wipe Windows XP clean and install Windows 7. I am really digging Windows 7 so far so I am hoping I don't have to reinstall Windows XP. Can someone let me know if I am GTG with Windows 7?
    You should be fine, the Pre acts like a USB drive, and is recognized by most OSes. However, if you want to root it, I have read some posts saying that you need an x86 system in Vista (not sure about requirements in Windows 7).
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    "First" = good!
    "and only" = luck!