1.    #1  
    I'm a long time Palm Treo user- but I'm about to get a new Pre. Do I understand right?? With a Pre, you can no longer see your calendar and contacts on your desktop (no more HotSynch)?? And can no longer do any input for the Pre except on the Pre itself?? If this is the case, that's really bad news.

Thanks

Howard
    You are correct about Hotsync. However, because of Synergy, you can input information into whatever account you are syncing with your Pre, be it an EAS, gmail, or other account, and that will Sync with the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by smithhw3 View Post
    I'm a long time Palm Treo user- but I'm about to get a new Pre. Do I understand right?? With a Pre, you can no longer see your calendar and contacts on your desktop (no more HotSynch)?? And can no longer do any input for the Pre except on the Pre itself?? If this is the case, that's really bad news.

Thanks

Howard
    You should really do some research before you think this is the end of the world. Me, personally, love it cause I never have to connect a cable to my phone. It updates over the air all by itself. If you want to live in 1995 and hot sync, its best not to get a Pre.

Thanks

Howard
    You are correct in that there is no HotSync. However, as mentioned before, you don't need to HotSync. Can you use Palm Desktop? No. But you can use Google really well through the Synergy feature and access your contacts and calendars on your desktop that way. There is also an app in the app catalog that allows OTA syncing with Outlook. Trust me, no HotSync is a GREAT thing.
    Pre and the desktop we never together :P
    It's hard to imagine at first, but you don't need Hotsync anymore.

As long as you are willing to sell your soul to the Google "computing cloud".

I did, and it works for me.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

Thanks

Howard

To clarify it even further, you don't have to enter anything on the Pre if you don't want to. I enter my information into Outlook/Exchange and Google just like I did with any device in the past, and it syncs seamlessly over the air. If anything, it's just the same but easier, since you don't actually ever have to plug the device in.
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
    I use Gmail you can sync to several different e-mail accounts/calendars
    I liek Gmails Calendar so I have merged to using it, Web OS have everything on the web save space on your PC and phone.

Since mY Treo I never Hotsynced, Crazy and stupid maybe but the Treo was a Very stable device, I never lost any data and there fore was lucky I dont like adding bloated software to my Desktop. I stored most of my contact sin Google used Gmail for everything
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie View Post
    You should really do some research before you think this is the end of the world. Me, personally, love it cause I never have to connect a cable to my phone. It updates over the air all by itself. If you want to live in 1995 and hot sync, its best not to get a Pre.
    Except desktop clients still exceed the capabilities of online service such as google. For example, I love Gmail, but recently switched back to Outlook and I am sooo much happier with the email capabilities. Another thing, Gmail Contacts is AWFUL in that it adds to your address book EVERYONE you ever email or receive email. Yes, I can use search to find a contact, but it still makes a mess of search results as contacts I never heard of appear in the results. Annoying.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Been covered, you don't have to chose, I sync 99% of the time with Google, but i also sync google with Thunderbird and Outlook so it's there if i need it, which i never have.
    Desktop syncing will go the way of the notepad and physical agenda. its only a matter of time.