Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm a spouse of an employee and I think it's time that Sprint let employee and advantage club accounts get the Pre.

We are some of Sprint's (and Palm's) biggest advocates and Sprint should allow us to go out and advertise the Pre by word of mouth. Right now there is a store in my area with 10 Pres in stock. The manager said they haven't had an inventory problem in a while. Let's go already!
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I agree. Although it seems that many places are still having a hard time keeping them in stock. My guess is that Sprint will allow employees to buy them at the discount by Aug 1 at the absolute latest. Just a random, speculative guess though.
  3.    #3  
    It's just very frustrating. I was at an association meeting and the group got talking about the iPhone and I brought up the Pre but I didn't have one to show. I would have blown their socks off if they would have seen it.

Oh well. Sprint has always been managed well so I'm sure they're making the right decisions. *snicker*
    my friend works for Sprint and he told me that they weren't able to get one till Decmeber I think he said
    Buddy of mine from Sprint said 90 days. Who knows...
    Only official words i've heard was september (reliable).

They stated that they don't want to release the pre to dealers because they want customers to get the phone first.
    I had heard that employees weren't allowed to get Pres at launch but didn't realize that it's still in effect. I think that's really unfortunate since, I assume, that employees are probably some of the best advocates for a flagship phone.

When I purchased my Pre (on launch day) I noticed that when the manager arrived he took his Pre out of his pocket. He had it with him. I assumed that it was his phone. Then he told us all in line that he is the store Advocate and told us a bit about the phone. Are Advocates given a free phone to use? Is it their own phone or something they can really only use for getting familiar with the phone and for demos?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I had heard that employees weren't allowed to get Pres at launch but didn't realize that it's still in effect. I think that's really unfortunate since, I assume, that employees are probably some of the best advocates for a flagship phone.

When I purchased my Pre (on launch day) I noticed that when the manager arrived he took his Pre out of his pocket. He had it with him. I assumed that it was his phone. Then he told us all in line that he is the store Advocate and told us a bit about the phone. Are Advocates given a free phone to use? Is it their own phone or something they can really only use for getting familiar with the phone and for demos?
    Employees make up a huge percentage of phone sales and there would be an even greater shortage of pres if dealers have access to them. Just think, some stores get 5-10 in stock for launch, well theres 5-10 employees in the store that want one, they snatch them up before the store opens, 0 available to the public, they are outraged that they waited in line to buy one for hours but the employees took them all.. This was the same for the instinct when it came out, however the instinct release was not as limited as the Pre.

As for the manager having the phone, very very VERY few stores were given a demo of the phone several days before launch (so they can learn the phone). However they came pre-programmed with a demo number and also they are supposed to give the phones back to Sprint after x days.
    Sorry, I want you to get your pre and be a pre advocate and all of that good employee word-of-mouth stuff. But NOT until I (and others) can get a replacement for a DEFECTIVE pre. I can't even believe the audacity of the Sprint Corporate stores, to admit they have brand new pres in stock. Admit that my pre is indeed defective. Acknowledge that as I am within the first 30 days with my original defective pre that I qualify for a brand new device and yet tell me that I cannot have one of the devices they have in stock because they are being held for people on the waiting list?!!!

So, until Sprint/Palm can figure out how to service their existing customers with device issues... I think Sprint employees should stay last on the list. Sorry. I know it sounds heartless. But that is what it's come to.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    Sorry, I want you to get your pre and be a pre advocate and all of that good employee word-of-mouth stuff. But NOT until I (and others) can get a replacement for a DEFECTIVE pre. I can't even believe the audacity of the Sprint Corporate stores, to admit they have brand new pres in stock. Admit that my pre is indeed defective. Acknowledge that as I am within the first 30 days with my original defective pre that I qualify for a brand new device and yet tell me that I cannot have one of the devices they have in stock because they are being held for people on the waiting list?!!!

So, until Sprint/Palm can figure out how to service their existing customers with device issues... I think Sprint employees should stay last on the list. Sorry. I know it sounds heartless. But that is what it's come to.

Replacing defective Pres is a problem.. Yes there is a huge waiting list of customers wanting to BUY the Pres, so they are at the top of the list, if you buy one and need to replace it, you are put behind all of the people that dont have one yet.

Just imagine if everyone with a defective pre got an in-store replacement, there would be people on the buy waiting list for weeks upon weeks as all of the defective pres get replaced ahead of them, they might not even get to buy a Pre for months..

90% of pres have issues that an anal person might consider defective (screen issues/blotches/deadspots/etc - but this is actually normal and have no impact on the functions of the phone).

*People bought thousands of Pres over the Phone/Store
    *You have to exchange them at a store
    *Stores get very few per shipment

= every pre that the store gets in stock goes out as a 30-day exchange
    = no one gets to buy a pre anymore (since you can no longer order them over the phone)
    = pissed off people waiting to buy, but on a waiting list, for months because all of the phones are going out of stock as replacements.

If this was the case, you probably wouldnt have your pre, unless you were one of the few that waited in line and got it opening day, or you were able to get the pre via telesales for the 1week~ gap that telesales was selling.

There is another option however, take it to any Repair Center and they can order a replacement Pre. It will probably be backordered but you will have one coming asap without messing around.. Also you probably wont get your rebate (since you will no longer be using the Pre that you purchased originally) and also the replacements are refirbs (which can be a good thing since the new ones seem to have problems)
  11.    #11  
    I can't even believe the audacity of the Sprint Corporate stores, to admit they have brand new pres in stock. Admit that my pre is indeed defective. Acknowledge that as I am within the first 30 days with my original defective pre that I qualify for a brand new device and yet tell me that I cannot have one of the devices they have in stock because they are being held for people on the waiting list?!!!
    That is a policy issue, not a stock issue. If they have phones in stock but wont replace yours you need to call *2 from inside the store and get it taken care of.

As of now there isn't a stock issue as far as I can tell. The store by my house has 10 phones sitting behind the counter yet I can't get one. Annoying.

I think if that happenned to me I would consider returning and rebuy elsewhere. Of course I realize it's easy for me to say. I believe many stores still have waiting lists. Is there any way that you can get a guarantee that you will get a good phone given that after your 30 days they're unlikely to allow you to return.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelet View Post
    That is a policy issue, not a stock issue. If they have phones in stock but wont replace yours you need to call *2 from inside the store and get it taken care of.

As of now there isn't a stock issue as far as I can tell. The store by my house has 10 phones sitting behind the counter yet I can't get one. Annoying.
    Once all pre-orders/waiting lists have been fulfilled, then you can do 30-day exchanges from the store's inventory.

however, depending on your location and the store, they could have a waiting list of 100+ people...

luckily in my area there is no more waiting list so i can freely exchange my phone for a new one if i needed to.
    I'm a spouse of an employee and I think it's time that Sprint let employee and advantage club accounts get the Pre.

We are some of Sprint's (and Palm's) biggest advocates and Sprint should allow us to go out and advertise the Pre by word of mouth. Right now there is a store in my area with 10 Pres in stock. The manager said they haven't had an inventory problem in a while. Let's go already!
    I understand why you're frustrated. But look at it from Sprint's point of view. They are having difficulties keeping up with the demand. How would it look if there's 10,000 Joes waiting for this phone, and they gave it to their employees first? It would be PRPRPR $suicide$.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    I understand why you're frustrated. But look at it from Sprint's point of view. They are having difficulties keeping up with the demand. How would it look if there's 10,000 Joes waiting for this phone, and they gave it to their employees first? It would be PRPRPR $suicide$.
    They are intentionally creating a demand for the phone when was the last time they hyped up a phone like this, then only had 50k available on release? especially when the iphone sells like.. a million in a weekend?

I think they want employees to crave the pre, and as a result, they talk about it to customers, who then also want a pre. Now if the employees had the phone & knew all about the phone, the magic goes away and the phone isnt held in such high regards as the untouchable magic super-phone that they cant get.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    The only reason they are having difficulties keeping up with demand is because they suck at inventory management. There are several corporate stores in my area with massive excess stock. Why can't they shuffle that around to take care of the backlog?

Sprint's mis-management of everything is the reason they are going out of business and the reason why, even though I only pay $20 a month, I'm temped to get an iPhone and give Sprint a big ol' FU.
    even though I only pay $20 a month, I'm temped to get an iPhone and give Sprint a big ol' FU.
    tried it, hated it.
    couldnt justify the $90~ extra per month for a phone that i cant take out of my pocket at work (for customers to see). Also hated the vertical only keyboard (it was a 3g, not 3g S), hated not being able to multiple select emails (which now the pre has the same problem), hated no video (again pre same issue), hated not being able to send pictures, hated that i lost my download credit/mo and had to pay for games/apps, service sucked in my area.. hated AT&T customer service that gave me 5 conflicting stories about return policy/cancellation fees, then they went so far as to say I can only return the phone for a bill credit and not cash back (even tho this account was under 30 days and the only phone on the account - why would i want a credit). Then charged me cancellation, kept the $36 activation fee, kept all tax, charged me for 59 days of usage (2 months prorated -1 day so they can say i returned the phone within 30 days - no refund on any of it) and eventually just gave me a $199 refund for equipment only. Cost me $650~ and i got $199 back.

so basically i gave AT&T the big ol F U..

dont even get me started on directv's 24 hour return policy - but takes 48 hours for service to start - WTF? - installed - missing half of the channels almost immediately after service begins - cant return/cancel without a $500, yes $500 cancellation fee. F U DIRECTV

or video only's - you pay cash for TV - TV sucks, salesmen lied - cant return it next day and get cash back - only store credit F U VIDEO ONLY
    Just go one eBay and pay for one like the rest of the world??? I mean it's only $300. I bet you spend more then that on yer ciggs and booze every month. haha kidding
    Quote Originally Posted by nuzzle View Post
    Just go one eBay and pay for one like the rest of the world??? I mean it's only $300. I bet you spend more then that on yer ciggs and booze every month. haha kidding
    actually i just came back from the store where i bought a carton of smokes and a 6 pack.. not quite $300/mo but still funny that you would say that lol

Yes. That is an "in store" issue. The store manager claimed that he is ordering me a new pre. I did call the wonderful reps over at *2 who took my side, noted my account, gave me a few discounts (waived the device upgrade fee, offered me the 'Pick 5' service), but they also told me that there is no way they can force the store to act. That the store will "give them the run around." So, the rep I spoke with suggest I call the corporate store's District Manager (or at least threaten to do so) and that *may* get me a new device faster. They also told me... and this was interesting... to make sure I get whatever that Corporate store's Manager offers me IN WRITING.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast