Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here is what I sent to the AG of CA. Let you know what I hear.

Palm Inc. began selling a new phone (the Palm Pre) for Sprint PCS networks June 6th 2009.

The phones have several major issues, chief among them is that the screen can break during regular use making the phone unusable.
    The phones that are with broken screens have a common theme (cracks originating from the bottom of the screen near the center button).
    In some cases the phones break after only a few hours.
    In my case, the phone broke in my hand, while speaking to Sprint about another defect issue.

Palm has denied any knowledge of this defect, but you can find many incidents on Palm's own website (Palm USA - Mobile Products for Consumers, Professionals, and Businesses) in the forums.

Contributing to the issue is that Palm's warranty covers the manufacturer’s defect, but the troubleshooting process is flawed.
    Through an arrangement, the wireless phone company “Sprint” does the root cause analysis of the phone issues.
    Palm’s policy supported by Sprint is that all phone's with cracked screens are broken because of abuse.
    Palm’s policy supported by Sprint means that customers with valid warranty claims are denied those claims without consideration to root cause.
    Palm’s policy supported by Sprint does not require documentation as a possible manufacturer’s defect.
    Palm’s policy supported by Sprint for users that purchase an insurance contract through a 3rd party company (Assurion) is to instruct the users to file an insurance claim.
    Palm’s policy supported by Sprint does not consider that the screen’s are breaking as a function of the poor design/materials engineering by Palm.
    Sprint & Palm together are asking customers to file insurance claims that should be covered by warranty.
    Sprint & Palm may be asking customers to commit insurance fraud.

Resolution:
    A) I would like Palm and Sprint to change their root cause analysis method to catch these issues with materials/craftsmanship early.
    B) I would like Palm and Sprint to change their policy to document all issues regardless of wether or not the recommendation is ultimately refered to insurance company.
    C) I would like Palm and Sprint to cease & desist from their oral policy of stating that “Physical Damage” is not covered by the warranty.
    D) I would like Palm and Sprint to instead use the term “Physical Abuse” which more accurately describes the types of damage not covered by the warranty.
    E) I would like Palm and Sprint to issue a refund or credit to anyone who has had to return a Palm Pre due to screen damage not caused by abuse.
    F) I would like Palm and Sprint to add prominent signs stating the difference between “Physical Damage” and “Physical Abuse”.
    G) I would like a letter from Palm explaining that they acknowledge the difference between “Physical Damage” and “Physical Abuse”.
    Thank you
    wah wah wah
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Here is what I sent to the AG of CA. Let you know what I hear.

Palm Inc. began selling a new phone (the Palm Pre) for Sprint PCS networks June 6th 2009.

The phones have several major issues, chief among them is that the screen can break during regular use making the phone unusable.
    The phones that are with broken screens have a common theme (cracks originating from the bottom of the screen near the center button).
    In some cases the phones break after only a few hours.
    In my case, the phone broke in my hand, while speaking to Sprint about another defect issue.

Palm has denied any knowledge of this defect, but you can find many incidents on Palm's own website (Palm USA - Mobile Products for Consumers, Professionals, and Businesses) in the forums.

Contributing to the issue is that Palm's warranty covers the manufacturer’s defect, but the troubleshooting process is flawed.
    Through an arrangement, the wireless phone company “Sprint” does the root cause analysis of the phone issues.
    Palm’s policy supported by Sprint is that all phone's with cracked screens are broken because of abuse.
    Palm’s policy supported by Sprint means that customers with valid warranty claims are denied those claims without consideration to root cause.
    Palm’s policy supported by Sprint does not require documentation as a possible manufacturer’s defect.
    Palm’s policy supported by Sprint for users that purchase an insurance contract through a 3rd party company (Assurion) is to instruct the users to file an insurance claim.
    Palm’s policy supported by Sprint does not consider that the screen’s are breaking as a function of the poor design/materials engineering by Palm.
    Sprint & Palm together are asking customers to file insurance claims that should be covered by warranty.
    Sprint & Palm may be asking customers to commit insurance fraud.

Resolution:
    A) I would like Palm and Sprint to change their root cause analysis method to catch these issues with materials/craftsmanship early.
    B) I would like Palm and Sprint to change their policy to document all issues regardless of wether or not the recommendation is ultimately refered to insurance company.
    C) I would like Palm and Sprint to cease & desist from their oral policy of stating that “Physical Damage” is not covered by the warranty.
    D) I would like Palm and Sprint to instead use the term “Physical Abuse” which more accurately describes the types of damage not covered by the warranty.
    E) I would like Palm and Sprint to issue a refund or credit to anyone who has had to return a Palm Pre due to screen damage not caused by abuse.
    F) I would like Palm and Sprint to add prominent signs stating the difference between “Physical Damage” and “Physical Abuse”.
    G) I would like a letter from Palm explaining that they acknowledge the difference between “Physical Damage” and “Physical Abuse”.
    Wow! Aren't you a ****! BTW, why did you send it to the AG of CA if you reside in Texas? You're entirely suspicious.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Lame.

My Pre doesn't have this problem.
    Great post Felipe. Make fun of someone else misery.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    really? REALLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Wow! Aren't you a **** BTW, why did you send it to the AG of CA if you reside in Texas? You're entirely suspicious.

Because Palm is based in California. Sending a complaint in this manner to another state's AG is correct.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 07/14/2009 at 02:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    If his facts are correct then the letter is a good idea whether or not you bozos think so. My screen hasn't cracked but if there is a design flaw that makes this kind of cracking common and Palm/Sprint refuses to cover it under warranty then the At. General needs to be notified.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I haven't had the screen issue. However, I've read posts by those who have had the issue. If this is truly a manufacturing defect, then I have no problem what-so-ever with the OP's letter. I like my Pre. But that's no reason to let any company take advantage of consumers who have legitimate issues.
    #1 dumb thread.....#2 you can take the post take the words Sprint and Palm out of the context and add any other carrier/phone example: At&t and Apple and its still the same.

So why not fight all the companies then? Let me know how that works out for you.
    That's the quote that causes me to expect this letter to be ignored. Even if it's completely true, you have to think of how it sounds to the AG who is used to hearing ridiculous claims from consumers every single day. I'm sure a reasonable person would be willing to believe (if skeptically so) that the phone may develop cracks during normal wear and use more easily than it should and that this could be a design flaw. I can't imagine *anyone* believing that while resting in your hand the phone just spontaneously fell to pieces, which is how this sounds.
  12.    #12  
    If you care to notice, the letter did not call for any benefit to me. Other than the indirect benefit of knowing that if this happens again, It will be documented, and of course, the Assurion insurance deductibles.

I am not even affected by the $100 refund as there is no way in hell I would have ever paid for something that was not my fault.

If I send a note to the TX Atty General or the KS attorney general regarding Sprint, I will reference the original complaint against Palm.
    Thank you
    How many of those with cracked screens DID NOT get a replacement?

This person has WAY too much time on their hands...
    Do you even own a Pre?

It's so selfless of you to be concerned for us Pre owners. Yeah right!

One thing I aboslutely hate is when someone presumes to speak for me (See my past posts as I've said this before). I'm a big boy, and can take care of myself. To have the audacity to speak for someone without their concent is the pinnacle of arrogance in a society of equal voices. For this reason, this should be take quite personally by every Pre owner.

Standing with me is one thing, presuming to stand for me quite another.

The principal outweighs the deed.
    [edited by dieter]
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphemz View Post
    How many of those with cracked screens DID NOT get a replacement?

This person has WAY too much time on their hands...
    it might have been easier because you were in the 30 day window.

They might take a stronger stand now against those that don't have TEP.
  16.    #16  
    I only have first hand knowledge of Palm Pre defects, and only have knowledge of Sprint using the term's physical abuse and phyical damage interchangeably.

It would be inproper for me to file a complaint without substantiated facts.
    Thank you
  17.    #17  
    Ronlongo, I would not presume to speak for you, I spoke on behalf of those who have had a similar issue. I would not know how to begin to speak on behalf of a grown man who wears his hat backwards as if he were a child.
    Thank you
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    I will only believe a pre cracks spontaneously if i see it. And I have yet to see it
    Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Ronlongo, I would not presume to speak for you, I spoke on behalf of those who have had a similar issue. I would not know how to begin to speak on behalf of a grown man who wears his hat backwards as if he were a child.
    And exactly who are you to speak on behalf of others??? Im just wondering what government credentials you have that would even get you remotely close to an AG reading your letter and/or ignoring or laughing at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    I will only believe a pre cracks spontaneously if i see it. And I have yet to see it
    IT HAPPENS.. as much as spontaneous human combustion...
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast