Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If you are reading this, you are likely a user/fan of the Pre and WebOS. I would like to humbly share my story of how I knew I chose the right phone for my daily needs.

For the most part, a single task phone gets the job done for me. The appeal of the Pre and WebOS did not dawn on me until I realized that my life is busier and more complex than even I liked to admit. Calendars, emails, media (and don't forget about making calls!) are all convenient to have at your fingertips, so I decided to switch from Verizon to Sprint and jump on the Palm Pre bandwagon.

Coming from an LG flip-style featurephone, I was immediately impressed with the capabilities of the Pre and WebOS. However, it was not until recently I truly realized the power of the software and the potential of this device in my every day life.

HERE IS MY STORY...

Straight to the point, I needed a new wine fridge for storing my moderate collection of wine, so I decided to try Craigslist and see what was out there. I found two potential sellers with items that looked right for me. After arranging a time and jotting down the addresses, I set off on my journey around the city after work on my motorcycle.

Normally, I would print out directions and drive my car to these destinations. This was not the case on this day. Before making my way to the first wine fridge seller, I needed to stop at the dealership. I forgot to print driving directions before I left work, and had no clue which direction to go. That's where the Palm Pre comes in.

After taking care of business at the dealership, I took out my phone and fired up the Sprint Navigation app. I have heard folks complain about it on the forums, but my experience with the app has always been worry-free. I entered the first address and had the device plot my course. Since I was still in the parking lot, the voice told me I was not on a road, but still did its best to guess what street I was closest to. Once the navigator was running, I fired up the Music app and turned on my favorite tunes (the headphones are a bit painful under the helmet, but I don't mind. More on that below). Once I got going, the navigation voice told me I was on the road and gave me audio directions throughout the entire trip. The music would pause between each audio cue, and the directions were accurate and gave me plenty of time to see the next turn. The first address was up in the hills, so it helped to be constantly updated on the street names that were approaching. Oh, and all of this while listening to music.

Note on the navigation app: I'm not sure, but it seems the app is intelligent enough to know how fast you are approaching your next turn. When I was on the freeway, the voice would signal the next direction about 1/4-1/2 mile out. When on the streets and going much slower, the voice would cue up the next direction about 1-2 streets ahead of time. Very cool.

I arrive at the first address without issue. I open up the phone app (third app) and give the seller a call to let them know I'm downstairs. She said it would be a few minutes because she was in the middle of something. So, I patiently wait and open up my email (4th) and calendar (5th) and do some life organizing. I answer a few IMs (6th) and update my facebook (7th) as well, all while listening to music. When the seller comes down, I close those unnecessary apps and only leave the music and navigator apps open. We talk, do our thing, wheel and deal, and I'm ready to head to the 2nd address.

I follow the same process: enter address and get the route from the navigator, resume play of the music, and take off! Again, I arrived at my next destination without hassle, the seller and I talked, and I was ready to head home. I went to "favorites" and chose my house address in the navigator so I could get to the nearest freeway. Again, the driving directions were flawless.

I was smiling under my helmet because of how seamless this all felt. It was truly a great experience knowing my Pre had my back when I really needed it.

The entire trip took about 3 hours. I did not use my phone very much while at work and started the trip with about 60% battery life. After 3 hours of heavy, heavy usage, I came home and found that the Pre still had about 10% left in reserve.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with my new phone. The Navigator app performs how it is supposed to; maybe not as feature-rich as standalone devices, but still get the job done and integrates with the multitasking nature of the Pre very well.

The fact that I can still use my Pre when I cannot view the screen (while on the motorcycle) is a huge plus for me. And the multitasking on top of that? Seriously, this phone needs to win some awards already.

Hats off to Sprint, and especially Palm, for giving this consumer exactly what he needed in a smartphone.

Regarding the OEM headphones: I have to be honest: I do not like them. They get the job done, sure; look cool and I love how the cord is designed to be tangle-free, but the earbuds are a dealbreaker. I am currently looking for a new set of earbuds or a BT headset configuration.

Update: I did NOT pick up the fridge that same day. Would be impossible, lol. I came back in my car the very next day. Very happy with it!
    Last edited by a dumb cat; 07/15/2009 at 11:55 AM.
    So how did you get the fridge if you were on your motorcycle? Were you using a bluetooth headset or wired?
    I've been thinking about using the navigation through headphones for a while on my bike as well, but wasn't too sure how well it worked. Did you just keep you phone in your pocket? And you had no problems with it finding the satellites?

I was thinking about using my phone for directions on a bike trip that I'm planning later on this summer.
    Last edited by bjshedwick; 07/14/2009 at 01:28 PM.
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
    I like how when the woman asked you to wait you didnt mind at all!!....I love when people tell me to wait or when I'm in a line...that just gives me more Pre time!!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bausti25 View Post
    So how did you get the fridge if you were on your motorcycle? Were you using a bluetooth headset or wired?
    Haha, I didn't intend to elaborate on that part of the story since it was long enough already. Just FYI, I will be picking up the fridge in my car on another date.

Regarding bluetooth, I forgot to mention that I was using the OEM headset. It is much easier to pause the music or skip tracks if necessary. Most BT headset have controls near the ear, so those styles would be useless for me.

I also forgot to elaborate on that point. I do not like the OEM headset, though it will do for now (until I find a better alternative). Any suggestions for a stereo BT set that's comfortable in the ear and with controls NOT near the ear.

Odd request, I know.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    cool story but why listen to music while riding? riding is dangerous enough dude...
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I have a motorcycle as well, but never thought of using sprint navigator while listening to music. Didn't think it was possible in the first place, but man this is great! I do know that sprint navigator drains the battery rather quickly. Hopefully seidio extended battery life will come out soon. Nice write up!
    Sounds like you need a bluetooth helmet.

Joe
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    What I want to know is what headset are you using with your helmet? Full-face?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi View Post
    What I want to know is what headset are you using with your helmet? Full-face?
    Its a full-face helmet (wouldn't wear any other style of helmet, to be honest). I don't know about bluetooth or a BT helmet, as it seemed to work well with the bare essentials: Palm Pre was in a case on my belt, with the headset wire going up the inside of my jacket and the mic/control piece was sticking out of the top of the jacket in order to control the music. The wiring fits inside my helmet just fine, but the earbuds could be better designed, IMO. My ears hurt a bit after taking the helmet off, but was not a big deal.

Seeing as how I was able to successfully carry out my errands in the story above with little more than what was in the box, I would say that bluetooth or a BT helmet would simply makes things even more convenient!
    Isn't it illegal to wear music headphones while operating a motor vehicle? There's the safety concern that you may not hear something such as a siren.
    I drive a scooter. I've used this in the same way pretty much. I needed to get to this address. So I set up the sprint nav. popped in my headphones and it got me there no problem. I just keep the pre in a pocket in my jacket.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Isn't it illegal to wear music headphones while operating a motor vehicle? There's the safety concern that you may not hear something such as a siren.
    Technically, you are correct. However, defensive driving habits and situation awareness - something you MUST possess if you want to ride and survive while on a motorcycle - cancels this out. Sounds ignorant, I know, but how often do you see something before you hear it while on the road? If your answer is "not often" then perhaps you need to increase your situational awareness (not a personal attack, promise; just sayin in context).

Anyways, its no different than if someone were blasting their stereo while in their car. Sometimes when I pull up alongside a car blasting their music, I KNOW the person inside will not hear a siren or horn even if it was 20 feet away.

Also FYI, the vast majority of motorcycles are single vehicles crashes; i.e. the person riding crashes all by him/herself. This would hardly be attributed to listening to music.

Again, I'm just saying this works for me; I caution all motorcycle riders out there to proceed with caution AT ALL TIMES. Its dangerous out there, and the moment we forget that is the moment something bad may happen...

Stay safe, riders.
    My only question. Did it "flow?"
    If you leave Sprint Navigation running in the background it destroys the battery life....

I am very thankful for Sprint Navi, it has gotten me places when I did not have a GPS handy, but leaving it running is a bad idea ... I used it 3x in about a 2 hour time frame and all times I ran into a place left the phone in nav mode and in car and after all 3x's i had literally gone from 60% left down to 17% ...

Battery is great overall now since its been broken in and topped off a bunch of times but leaving a loaded program like nav on in the background will do no justice for the phone/battery ...
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post
    If you leave Sprint Navigation running in the background it destroys the battery life....

I am very thankful for Sprint Navi, it has gotten me places when I did not have a GPS handy, but leaving it running is a bad idea ... I used it 3x in about a 2 hour time frame and all times I ran into a place left the phone in nav mode and in car and after all 3x's i had literally gone from 60% left down to 17% ...

Battery is great overall now since its been broken in and topped off a bunch of times but leaving a loaded program like nav on in the background will do no justice for the phone/battery ...
    I'd have to agree that the navigator ate the battery, but I am happy it survived this trip.

Going from 60% to 10% in 3 hours of heavy, heavy usage is not bad for a multitasking smartphone, imo. That's about 17% per hour, or about 8% every 30 minutes (or about 1% every 4 minutes, lol).

Yeah, the Pre's battery leaves something to be desired, but if you keep it charged when possible (touchstone at work and at home now; shipment came this afternoon; woot!), this should not be a problem.

@ Impulsebuyer: how much time elapsed over those 3 times you used the navigator? Discharging 1% every 4 minutes is not that bad, and can get you (on a full charge) nearly 8 hours of navigation, which is a trip from LA to San Francisco. Not that you will need a navigator during a vast majority of the time you are on the 5 Fwy... lol.
    I've been riding motorcycles for about 7 or so years, I never considered listening to music or talking on the phone while riding. Maybe its beacuse I live in NYC but I think thats a bit nuts. I wouldnt be worried about sirens or horns but rather the small loss in concentration that could make all the difference. Life insurance...
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Very nice, I have yet to get lost on my exploring trips on the bike, but nice to know the directions come in clear on the headset.

Laws vary by state. Most allow a single ear bud (otherwise no one could make hands free cell calls other than systems integrated into a car's speaker systems) and some have no law at all on ear buds.

Many riders will use at lease one for music (ipod, mp3 player, navigation systems) of some sort. I use my ipod all the time on both my rides.

Most people on bikes are more observant of traffic and so on around them simply because they are more exposed than everyone driving around in cages (cars)
    Quote Originally Posted by a dumb cat View Post
    Haha, I didn't intend to elaborate on that part of the story since it was long enough already. Just FYI, I will be picking up the fridge in my car on another date.

Regarding bluetooth, I forgot to mention that I was using the OEM headset. It is much easier to pause the music or skip tracks if necessary. Most BT headset have controls near the ear, so those styles would be useless for me.

I also forgot to elaborate on that point. I do not like the OEM headset, though it will do for now (until I find a better alternative). Any suggestions for a stereo BT set that's comfortable in the ear and with controls NOT near the ear.

Odd request, I know.
    What kind of bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by a dumb cat View Post
    I'd have to agree that the navigator ate the battery, but I am happy it survived this trip.

Going from 60% to 10% in 3 hours of heavy, heavy usage is not bad for a multitasking smartphone, imo. That's about 17% per hour, or about 8% every 30 minutes (or about 1% every 4 minutes, lol).

Yeah, the Pre's battery leaves something to be desired, but if you keep it charged when possible (touchstone at work and at home now; shipment came this afternoon; woot!), this should not be a problem.

@ Impulsebuyer: how much time elapsed over those 3 times you used the navigator? Discharging 1% every 4 minutes is not that bad, and can get you (on a full charge) nearly 8 hours of navigation, which is a trip from LA to San Francisco. Not that you will need a navigator during a vast majority of the time you are on the 5 Fwy... lol.
    Its hard to say because I was doing some deliveries and when I reached the destination I put the phone down on the seat and left the Nav on so when i got back i could resume and be on my way to the next destination ... If i had to guess i must have had it sitting for about 10 mins or so prior to my next destination and that goes for each stop i made (all three) ... so that amounts to 30 mins or so of just sitting in nav mode with the end point of my destination ..... i dont think in all honesty you could use the nav with our current battery for a long trip (could be wrong but ..) the fact that the Nav is so pricise and tells you the street names etc... is what i really love the most!

As for listning to music while you ride, owning a sport bike myself its a must ... break out the ipod (prior to my pre) and hide it away using only 1 earbud for listning to music and it makes the trip that much better
    I personally like take it easy by the eagles and highway to hell to listen to on my longer trips lol ..
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast