Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I actually wear ear plugs while riding to protect my ears. I tend to agree with Gordon84, though, that music (or worse, podcasts) might cause me to focus on what I'm listening to, rather than what is going on around me. That being said, the risks of riding on two wheels with vehicles quadruple mine's weight don't leave my mind for very long.
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
    On the topic, check out this video of a true moto-multitasker from India:

Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by a dumb cat View Post
    Any suggestions for a stereo BT set that's comfortable in the ear and with controls NOT near the ear.

Odd request, I know.
    jabra BT3030

can hang controls around neck or clip anywhere. can also use your own headset (3.5 mm plug).
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Good story. I had a similar experience using Sprint Nav, Pandora, email and phone on a recent long drive. The idea of driving by just voice nav is pretty cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Isn't it illegal to wear music headphones while operating a motor vehicle? There's the safety concern that you may not hear something such as a siren.
    Varies from state to state.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    cool story but why listen to music while riding? riding is dangerous enough dude...
    I own a Goldwing with a 4 speaker stereo system. AM / FM, cassette, and XM radio. It's never been a problem, and I can listen to traffic reports.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

7. qqq
    For what it's worth, I have a Cardo "Scala Rider" helmet bluetooth thing and it works fine with the Pre, but the volume was a bit low (which is fixable if you put it in dev mode and get shell access.) It would be a lot more useful if the Pre had voice dialing, but whatever - maybe someday. I haven't tried it with Sprint Nav.

Note for anyone getting one of these - the radio module is removable from the clip you attach to the helmet, but *don't remove it* - the contacts wear out after a few uses and it'll never work again. Cardo are very helpful and will send replacements, but it's just a pain in the ***.

Honestly it's not a fantastic product, but it's not too expensive and works well enough. Voice quality is very good, though obviously at freeway speed there's way too much wind noise to carry on a conversation. It doesn't do A2DP but since I don't listen to music while riding I don't really care. I believe their newer models do support A2DP.

I do a great deal of freeway commuting so I prefer to wear earplugs to protect my hearing, and the Scala Rider unit can be set loud enough to be heard decently through the earplugs.

eric
    I've got a hardwired system on one bike, really sucks when I take my wife out and we have to keep plugging/unplugging cables every time we get off the bike. Plus I can't swap it to the other bike. Will be replacing it with one of these soon:

SCALA RIDER Q2 MultiSet | CARDO SYSTEMS INC.
    Quote Originally Posted by qqq View Post
    For what it's worth, I have a Cardo "Scala Rider" helmet bluetooth thing and it works fine with the Pre, but the volume was a bit low (which is fixable if you put it in dev mode and get shell access.) It would be a lot more useful if the Pre had voice dialing, but whatever - maybe someday. I haven't tried it with Sprint Nav.

Note for anyone getting one of these - the radio module is removable from the clip you attach to the helmet, but *don't remove it* - the contacts wear out after a few uses and it'll never work again. Cardo are very helpful and will send replacements, but it's just a pain in the ***.

Honestly it's not a fantastic product, but it's not too expensive and works well enough. Voice quality is very good, though obviously at freeway speed there's way too much wind noise to carry on a conversation. It doesn't do A2DP but since I don't listen to music while riding I don't really care. I believe their newer models do support A2DP.

I do a great deal of freeway commuting so I prefer to wear earplugs to protect my hearing, and the Scala Rider unit can be set loud enough to be heard decently through the earplugs.

eric
    Wow. I actually have the Scala Rider FM now and I think it's fantastic. Although you can't voice dial, you can answer via voice command which is nice. Don't ever really need to call out anyway, just wanted to make sure my wife and kids could get a hold of me if necessary during my commute. I've actually found sound pickup from the mic to be very good; my wife usually tells me to stop yelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    cool story but why listen to music while riding? riding is dangerous enough dude...

Quote Originally Posted by Longster View Post
    I have a motorcycle as well, but never thought of using sprint navigator while listening to music. Didn't think it was possible in the first place, but man this is great! I do know that sprint navigator drains the battery rather quickly. Hopefully seidio extended battery life will come out soon. Nice write up!
    We do it all the time, have been since Treo days. We used to purchase a TomTom/garmin etc. software app with a GPS reciever that plugs into the Treo. The Palm Pre replaced ALL of that, with a nice standalone unit. We put ram mounts on our motorcycles, rigged up an old Treo body glove holster and glued it to a cell phone mount which attaches to the ram mount (sounds like a lot, but it's easy and simple). Just plop in the Pre, plug in the Sprint car charger to the aftermarket plugs we wired up, and off we go. My father even put a small amplifier and two speakers on his ram mounts. Works better and is safer, but only really works if you have a bike with room for an amplifier, car charger outlets, and all the necessary wiring, plus the speakers on the bars. Works EXCELLENT with the Pre. I won't ride any other way now. I got background music going, Pre charging, and the Nav. I can either set a route, get myself lost and find a quick way home, or set the Nav for "Home" before I leave, so I always know how long it will take to get home while I am riding (Since it auto adjusts the route, and displays the time it will take to get to the "destination" even if you are going the wrong way) if I have a tight schedule and just want to get an hour or two ride in.

Quote Originally Posted by jallen3.14 View Post
    Sounds like you need a bluetooth helmet.

Joe
    Those are sweet. I took a look at the Nolan BT helmets, but they didn't fit me well in a few places, felt kind of cheap, and the padding felt too thin. Just personal preference. I wish HTC would make a SymaxII with BT or Shoe would come out with something similar

Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Isn't it illegal to wear music headphones while operating a motor vehicle? There's the safety concern that you may not hear something such as a siren.
    Depends on the state. As I said above, speakers on a bike are MUCH nicer, since it provides more background music (even if it sounds like a concert at a stop light) instead of blasting in your ear, but some bikes that's not practical. If you are smart, and don't have the latest 50 Cent on max volume, it's still safe. I keep my wrap around the ear headphones on level 4 of Pandora, and 90% of the songs I can still hear the engine on my bike clear as day over the music. Sirens I can hear almost as clear as a car. Remember that on a bike, even with the wind noise and the engine roaring under you, you are still "outside" and don't have all the windows/sound deadening a car/truck/suv has. With headphones, it's almost the same as a car with music at a low level. At least for me that is. In fact, I can still hear my buddy talk to me while sitting at the red light, through his helmet, into mine, through the music, and over the noise of two motorcycles (with aftermarket exhaust's). Everyone is different I suppose.

Now, in my state, it is 100% legal to wear headphones while riding, but you are only allowed one in your ear at a time. Kind of obnoxious, but that's what is written. I could see it making sense to someone that has no idea what they are talking about, and just thinking about the situation from a chair with no personal experience (like most laws are written). Some states do make it illegal period. There are no laws here about external speakers on a bike here, as long as you follow the "Can't hear from 50ft away" rule. I usually just pause the music, or turn it down when I get to a red light, and hit play again when you get moving. The wind drowns out the music pretty good.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Good read. I used Sprint navigation quite a bit since getting it, it really helps.
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper1010 View Post
    jabra BT3030

can hang controls around neck or clip anywhere. can also use your own headset (3.5 mm plug).
    That looks like it might work, thanks for the tip (+1 thanks!)

@ Centro85: I have an HTC CL-SP that I really like and is very comfortable. I would have to say a BT helmet would have to be very, very comfortable for me to want to switch.

The Jabra BT3030 mentioned above, with more comfortable headphones would be the more comfortable, and cheaper solution for me. Since I would use it mostly for music/nav and not for calling, I don't mind that the call quality (as stated in the review) is just 'okay.'
    I tried this out last night on the way home from work. I was really impressed. I was streaming Pandora and had the Nav going at the same time. This will sure be useful in situations where I'm not sure where I'm going when I'm riding.
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
    Quote Originally Posted by a dumb cat View Post
    I also forgot to elaborate on that point. I do not like the OEM headset, though it will do for now (until I find a better alternative). Any suggestions for a stereo BT set that's comfortable in the ear and with controls NOT near the ear.

Odd request, I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper1010 View Post
    jabra BT3030

I 2nd this one. I have considered buying it too.

Quote Originally Posted by xberserker View Post
    I drive a scooter. I've used this in the same way pretty much. I needed to get to this address. So I set up the sprint nav. popped in my headphones and it got me there no problem. I just keep the pre in a pocket in my jacket.
    I too ride a scooter I've used sprint nav to guide me places on it using my previous blackberry (now own the pre). I don't need it often but do use sprint nav when needed. Only thing is I don't think there is a way to pipe nav through BT. At least if there is I don't know what to do to get it that way. I have a Golla bag case it has a d-ring and lanyard for options of carrying it. I use the d-ring to clip to a belt loop. I have yet to use the lanyard but I can see using it in certain situations.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by bjshedwick View Post
    I tried this out last night on the way home from work. I was really impressed. I was streaming Pandora and had the Nav going at the same time. This will sure be useful in situations where I'm not sure where I'm going when I'm riding.
    I'm happy to see that more Pre users are benefitting from this story. I only wanted to share my story, but turns out I helped some folks too. Nice.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    I own a Goldwing with a 4 speaker stereo system. AM / FM, cassette, and XM radio. It's never been a problem, and I can listen to traffic reports.
    Me, too. A 2005 Wing. I stick Pre in the left fairing pocket where I have a power outlet and mini plug stored. I plug them both in, listen through AUX. The Nav voice mutes the music if I'm listening to Pandora or the player.

I'm in Chicago, so I only listen when I'm out of town and on the open highway. Otherwise it's a sure thing for a trip to the morgue. Cagers are a-holes when it comes to awareness of motorcycles.

Oh...and it's amazing how many people I see texting while driving. Damn, I had NO idea it was that bad. I've done it and it was easy with one hand on a Treo. I thank God it's difficult on the Pre. Breaks me of it before it becomes a habit. I'm telling you, it's incredible and horrifying to watch when you're on a bike.

bj
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12