1.    #1  
    When you think we will be getting the next update?
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    hopefully around August 1st.
    There's a post about the 1.1 update on the main page, in case you wanna check it out.
    I'd say likely August 1 since the NFL mobile app is supposed to be available by then, according to things I've read on the web.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    My bet... July 25th
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    today
  7.    #7  
    do you think we will be getting apps at the same time?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chisolmy View Post
    When you think we will be getting the next update?
    What, you don't already have it?

My phone updated last night. In addition to new features for corporate users, it dramatically fixes the battery issue (I've been using the device heavily all morning and my battery dropped just 3%), includes an improved camera app (digital zoom, effects), now does video (!) recording, and can actually run some native iPhone apps.

Seriously, why ask a question like this? The only answers you'll get are speculation. And, unless you like to hear people making random guesses (which, I suppose is fun), why bother asking? That's like posting "When you do think a person named John will walk up to me and say 'hi'"?

So, while you're busy reading people's guesses, I'll be busy playing with all these new iPhone apps that now work on my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by chisolmy View Post
    do you think we will be getting apps at the same time?
    I personally don't see a plethora of apps until the end of aug maybe mid sept. Palm dropped the ball here. Theres really no excuse for them not to make the SDK Public yet. All of this should have been handled by the release date. Now people have to root their phones, or go through a leaked SDK kit to install non-rooted apps. For 64bit and Vista users its a HUGE task and its not a great experience.

Fortunately I do have faith that Palm will have a grasp on things and will have this all taken care of in a couple months.
    I am not worried about when it happens, because I know from my experience with the Instinct that, in the case of the Pre, it is actually going to happen. The Instinct promised so much...including an App Contest with a $25,000 prize...that never materialized. I followed the Instinct forums for 6 months after launch and never saw anything like I'm seeing regarding this device.
    I wouldn't be shocked if they toss out the video update at some point between now, and the official App Store / SDK launch. They seem fairly content with the progress of homebrewing, and are probably leaching ideas from it. But one major app like video would sooth the masses for a month or so.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    I'm still pretty convinced that the Pre will be released May 17...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    I personally don't see a plethora of apps until the end of aug maybe mid sept. Palm dropped the ball here. Theres really no excuse for them not to make the SDK Public yet. All of this should have been handled by the release date. Now people have to root their phones, or go through a leaked SDK kit to install non-rooted apps. For 64bit and Vista users its a HUGE task and its not a great experience.

Fortunately I do have faith that Palm will have a grasp on things and will have this all taken care of in a couple months.
    I think that all tech and software products are released as beta these days. A company like Palm can't wait for all the bugs to be worked out, because there is no way that a few hundred employees of Palm could test the Pre in the same way that 300,000 real world users can. So Palm made the decision to release the phone knowing that it wasn't done yet, but they also know that it will never really be done. There will always be something to tweak, something to add, etc....

Besides, the rooting and the hacks would be happening no matter what...
  14. faz
    Quote Originally Posted by tim.gier View Post
    I am not worried about when it happens, because I know from my experience with the Instinct that, in the case of the Pre, it is actually going to happen. The Instinct promised so much...including an App Contest with a $25,000 prize...that never materialized. I followed the Instinct forums for 6 months after launch and never saw anything like I'm seeing regarding this device.

That's Samsung they don't have Money Problems also they are not depend on one product. This is Palm Pre its like they have one & only things left and they are doing pretty decent I would highly suggest everyone just patient and thing are going to be fine soon its very Difficult for Palm to come even closer to iPhone at least not now but they can come that is for sure coz their webOS is really nice need few more updates , SDK to Rool Out and you'll see how the game will change. I just want to give them some more time .. Yes I was on the same train when Instinct came out fowwowling FOrums etc .. & Now Pre but I think this time it;ll be a different story.

Thanks guys
    I don't know when we will get it, possibly in less than 2 weeks.

This bit of info was posted on Twitter. I am not sure of his validity...

Twitter / Steve Troughton-Smā€¦: webOS 1.1 much improves ta ...
    webOS 1.1 much improves tapping on the main menu - this is looking like a great update for the Palm Pre! - about 8 hours ago from Tweetie (104)
    Twitter / Steve Troughton-Smā€¦: New in webOS 1.1: more ani ...
    New in webOS 1.1: more animations (menus, modal popups); updated graphics (various), better menubar hit target. More as it comes - about 7 hours ago from Tweetie (128)
    Follow Me On

Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    For 64bit and Vista users its a HUGE task and its not a great experience.
    off-topic for this thread, but I found this fairly easy on my vista 64bit box.. there's directions on how to do this, and it's simple.
    -mark
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Things they have to fix

Email forwarding and the loss of all formatting - Corporates will hate this & stay away en mass

PIM functions (add attendee, view acceptance etc) - as above

Speed up the device if indeed there is an opportunity to tune the thing.

Video recording - goodness me it seems it will certainly please many poeple and shut up the iPhone fanboys. I personally can't see why it is so important but many do so there we have it.

Look at the most popular apps out there that have not been deployed yet and get these delivered ASAP

Get the SDK out there ASAP. The reason they haven't deployed it is because it is not finished. There should be no excuse for being in that position but it will be seen as a massive downside if it isn't out soon.

Those are my top items.
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx