Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Looks like Verizon is going about is usual line of business by stepping in the way of App stores for individual phones. This is guaranteed to be a more expensive proposition and one that requires Verizon's seal of approval to boot:

Verizon to Mobile Developers: Can You Hear Me Now?

Verizon wants to build its own app store, and is planning a July 28 event to entice developers to its platform. Like everyone else wooing programmers, the company hopes to get the equivalent of the in-crowd building the hottest apps that will elevate its store, and thus its phones and network, to the level of popularity that Appleís iPhone currently enjoys. But getting a critical mass of developers building great software isnít an easy task.

And while Verizon is romancing developers, the carrier isnít as solicitous of its handset partners. Verizonís Ryan Hughes, VP Partner Management, said in an interview Friday that the network operatorís app store will be the sole marketplace on devices sold by the company, meaning stores such as Research In Motionís BlackBerry App World or Microsoftís Windows Mobile Marketplace wonít get placement on Verizon handsets unless a consumer downloads them. Hughes also said that Verizon is focusing on aggregating content from four different developer communities: Windows Mobile, Palm, Android and BlackBerry.
    More here:
    Verizon to Mobile Developers: Can You Hear Me Now?
    I doubt circumstances could ever force me to do business with Verizon. I'm happy with Sprint and AT&T.
    They are full of themselves. Honestly what gives them the notion that they can tell everyone what to do? Carriers are the least interesting thing to a consumer.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Verizon has been like this for a long time. Disable wifi for devices with wifi. Disable bluetooth on devices with bluetooth. Load it up with crappy verizon apps, and make it hard to install, non verizon apps. Sure, they may give the user the choice to install another app store or download from another app store, but count on them making it harder. Supposedly, Apple approached Verizon about the iPhone, but Verizon wouldn't give Apple the control it wanted; At&T did. Now, we all know Apple rules their device and ecosystem with an Iron Fist, but still, Apple users are diehard loyalists; if Apple has crappy rules in place for their App store, fanboys will still support it and always look at the benefits. With Verizon doing this, though? Um, not so much.

As much as Sprint's CS still sucks, Sprint has always seemed to be more laid back about things of this nature, not to mention cheaper.

Just a way to make more money, with Verizon getting a cut.

Verizon is constantly trying to insert itself into the user experience with their crappy apps, disabling of features, absurd bandwidth caps, etc, etc, when, really, most people just want a freaking dumb pipe. Sure, all the carriers suck, but Verizon is one of the worst when it comes to this kind of thing. For crying out loud, I just want a company that provides a pipe. I don't want their stupid, crappy app store.
    Still sucks but at least you can still download them if you want. Not a big deal.

meaning stores such as Research In Motionís BlackBerry App World or Microsoftís Windows Mobile Marketplace wonít get placement on Verizon handsets unless a consumer downloads them.
    From Engadget as well:
    according to Hughes, non-VZW app stores like BlackBerry App World or Windows Mobile Marketplace won't be bundled with the smartphones out of the box, meaning consumers will have to take the initiative to download those portals for themselves.
    [QUOTE=Krod301;1750069]Still sucks but at least you can still download them if you want. Not a big deal.

Yeah, I'll believe that when I see it.. I guess you Verizon folks can forget about the iPhone!!
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Good post and another reason to not wait for Pre on Verizon...and another reason VZW sucks...or any phone for that matter. If this is the philosiphy going forward why would any power user choose verizon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    I'm happy with Sprint and AT&T.
    One of these things is not like the others,
    One of these things just doesn't belong,
    Can you tell which thing is not like the others
    By the time I finish my song?

Did you guess which thing was not like the others?
    Did you guess which thing just doesn't belong?
    If you guessed this one is not like the others,
    Then you're absolutely...right!

Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Yeah, I'll believe that when I see it.. I guess you Verizon folks can forget about the iPhone!!
    As an investor in Palm that's one of my big take-aways from the article. This means the iPhone will remain a one major network phone for the time being (and a crappy one to boot) while Palm is apparently going to be on all the three big majors in one iteration or another. This is very good.

On a consumer level, it's Sprint all the way for me. I like it's pricing structure and additional goodies like SprintTV and navigation, and reception-wise I find its coverage excellent. Plus they seem to be the most open of the three majors.
    This isn't a shocker to anyone really. VZW's entire customer base is a dumb phone, and dumb phones know no better.

As a side note, I noticed someone say Sprints CS sucks. Have you ever actually dealt with VZW's CS? They are too stupid to find their own ***. My mom moved to a location that couldn't even roam with VZW. For three months she tried to get her service canceled and charges reversed. Rep #1 said "no charges and cancellation is complete." One week later she got a bill for $97.... Took 37reps, and me finally calling and yelling at a supervisor about how even AT&T's idiotic CS reps are smarter than this for them to finally "discount" it to $20. She had a bill of over $300 by this point....
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    As an investor in Palm that's one of my big take-aways from the article. This means the iPhone will remain a one major network phone for the time being (and a crappy one to boot) while Palm is apparently going to be on all the three big majors in one iteration or another. This is very good.

On a consumer level, it's Sprint all the way for me. I like it's pricing structure and additional goodies like SprintTV and navigation, and reception-wise I find its coverage excellent. Plus they seem to be the most open of the three majors.
    Totally agree with you here. Apple's elitism might be it's undoing here.
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    I seriously doubt Verizon would prevent anybody from being able to download the Web O/S Catalog application. Granted it may not come on the phone as a preinstalled application, I seriously doubt they would prevent their users from being able install it. It'd be impossible considering how hackable Web O/S is now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkims View Post
    This isn't a shocker to anyone really. VZW's entire customer base is a dumb phone, and dumb phones know no better.

As a side note, I noticed someone say Sprints CS sucks. Have you ever actually dealt with VZW's CS? They are too stupid to find their own ***. My mom moved to a location that couldn't even roam with VZW. For three months she tried to get her service canceled and charges reversed. Rep #1 said "no charges and cancellation is complete." One week later she got a bill for $97.... Took 37reps, and me finally calling and yelling at a supervisor about how even AT&T's idiotic CS reps are smarter than this for them to finally "discount" it to $20. She had a bill of over $300 by this point....
    I once was on Verizon, and after repeated billing issues EVERY month (always trying to throw in extra unwarranted charges) I finally paid the ETF to end both my and my wife's contracts. If Verizon were the only carrier left, I'd probably stop using a cell phone. AT&T is way overpriced, but I'd have not problem paying them if Sprint or even T-Mob wasn't options for me.

As for Sprint's CS, I've only had one issue with them in all the years I've been with Sprint, and for that one issue I got a free HTC Mogul out of the deal. I'd say that's excellent customer service to me at least.

Oh, and I've read some threads on blackberryforums.com that it is Verizon who kept the WiFi from being enabled on the BlackBerry Tour. For just Sprint RIM wouldn't make it available.

And to Mitalis, Verizon is known for crippling their phones, so if they can prevent you from downloading from the Palm App store, they will do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitalis View Post
    I seriously doubt Verizon would prevent anybody from being able to download the Web O/S Catalog application. Granted it may not come on the phone as a preinstalled application, I seriously doubt they would prevent their users from being able install it. It'd be impossible considering how hackable Web O/S is now.
    I Totally agree.

The Brilliant people here at PreC will get around it
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitalis View Post
    The thing about this is, how many VZW people are going to even know what they are missing with the legit app stores? Will they have to go somewhere special and download it? This is all stuff that an average user will never think of, or bother to do.

Imagine buying a Pre for $300 and not knowing you're missing the REAL app store.
    Bahahahaha. Yes!
    OMG... you're RIGHT the freaky, pasty-white Palm chick does look like the Borg Queen!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    C'mon, everyone knows that the Borg queen was hot.
  19. EWT
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    VZW's customer service has always been great for me. I don't have any Sprint experience to compare to, but I have no complaints with VZW. It took all of about 1 minute on the phone today to get a free replacement shipped for my Touch Pro with a dead backlight.

I'd really like to get a Pre, but I'm waiting for more storage, more apps, and hopefully a VZW pickup before getting one.
    Quote Originally Posted by EWT View Post
    VZW's customer service has always been great for me. I don't have any Sprint experience to compare to, but I have no complaints with VZW. It took all of about 1 minute on the phone today to get a free replacement shipped for my Touch Pro with a dead backlight.

I'd really like to get a Pre, but I'm waiting for more storage, more apps, and hopefully a VZW pickup before getting one.
    You've got to stay with what works for you, that's for sure. I'm glad we have the choices and competition. It's good for us consumers!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast