Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What is the Best IM client for PRE
    I want to use Instant Messaging on the Pre. like Yahoo messneger

How do I do it?
    Last edited by Addie_Goodvibes; 07/14/2009 at 02:20 AM.
    Right now I believe only google talk and AIM are supported. I hope they add MSN and Yahoo! in future updates.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug30 View Post
    Right now I believe only google talk and AIM are supported. I hope they add MSN and Yahoo! in future updates.
    yeah seeing as hardly any of my contacts use Google talk or AIM
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    meebo dot com...let's you access Yahoo, MSN, AIM, ICQ, GoogleTalk, Facebook, MySpace and a couple others
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    wierd look in the book and it shows you can set up Yahoo, but you cant
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    if Trillian made a Pre version, i'd snag it in a min!
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    We need a Pre Pidgin port
    Meebo is the best. It runs in the browser and draws much less energy than the battery draining built in IM client.
    Question does Meebo use the builtin notification feature of the Pre that the built-in IM one uses?
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adambomb13 View Post
    Question does Meebo use the builtin notification feature of the Pre that the built-in IM one uses?
    No, it runs in the browser, just like any other web page.
    Yahoo messenger works pretty well, accessing it via their mobile website

m.yahoo.com

Once you log in to your yahoo messenger, you can save that URL as a favorite and its pretty easy to get to..

NOT as easy and fun to use as IM on Centro.. *sigh*, gotta wonder why Palm took stuff that was GREAT on Centro, and did NOT make that as easily available on PRE????
    Quote Originally Posted by Drac0Linux View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the Pre use libpurple?
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    I agree
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    That doesn't really make sense because...

Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the Pre use libpurple?
    ... what you really want is just a good UI based on libpurple... like meebo. Sure you could probably get Pidgin running on the Pre, especially if you used the Finch interface on a rooted device, but the features you really want - multiple protocols, file sending, etc. - are just the features offered by libpurple and available to any program based on it, like adium, Finch, Pidgin, meebo, etc.

In fact, the messenger in the Pre uses libpurple itself, so all these protocols and features may be available in the future.

Brett
  15.    #15  
    I am surprised being linux based pre doesn't have the Pidgin as an optional app.
    I use pigned in MANDI KDE 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrbelex View Post
    That doesn't really make sense because...

... what you really want is just a good UI based on libpurple... like meebo. Sure you could probably get Pidgin running on the Pre, especially if you used the Finch interface on a rooted device, but the features you really want - multiple protocols, file sending, etc. - are just the features offered by libpurple and available to any program based on it, like adium, Finch, Pidgin, meebo, etc.

In fact, the messenger in the Pre uses libpurple itself, so all these protocols and features may be available in the future.

Brett
    You are pretty close, yes I'd be happy with most any client with those features. But what I'd really like from this is to have a client that supports encryption. Ilm feeling a bit naked without it.
    Isn't the I'm program using jabber, so you just have go use transports to gey your yahoo working?

Obviously not user-friendly yet, but palm is getting there.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    yeah seeing as hardly any of my contacts use Google talk or AIM
    Strange...most of my contacts use AIM (especially from my generation). Mostly, I use AIM and Skype (occasionally FB chat, though I've stopped for the most part), but the problem is that Skype (afaikafaikafaik) $doesn$'$t$ $have$ $a$ $protocol$ $available$ $to$ $other$ $IM$ $clients$, $so$ $you$ $have$ $to$ $use$ $their$ $client$ $or$ $a$ $supported$, $dedicated$ $client$ ($ie$ $Fring$ $for$ $WinMo$/$iPhone$).

I use Meebo as well, and I have my AIM, yahoo, msn, gtalk, and facebook accounts linked to it (fb not online though), but most of my friends are contacted with AIM.
    Palm m100>Palm m130>Sony Clie>HP Jornada 525>Dell Axim X3i>Nokia 3395>Nokia 6630>Motorola i530>PPC 6700>Mogul (PPC-6800)

Palm Pre!
    Seeing as the pre uses the pidgin and if anyone has downloaded and looked through the code for the LibPurple, it indeed does have Yahoo, MSN, XMPP, AOL and google on it. All that would need to be done is a change to the interface to allow account setup. I am currently digging through the pre's linux files to see if I can find where the UI for messaging and the account setup is. the backend is there, we just need the pre to talk to it via the UI...
    Quote Originally Posted by TX800W View Post
    Seeing as the pre uses the pidgin and if anyone has downloaded and looked through the code for the LibPurple, it indeed does have Yahoo, MSN, XMPP, AOL and google on it. All that would need to be done is a change to the interface to allow account setup. I am currently digging through the pre's linux files to see if I can find where the UI for messaging and the account setup is. the backend is there, we just need the pre to talk to it via the UI...
    If you are able to figure out how to setup XMPP with a self-signed certificate you will be the most popular person in the world.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast