Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Well its been 7 days since I got my new Pre and so far its been pretty good. It has one dead pixel (which isnt a big deal for me), and is of the loose variety, its a bit rattley and definately got worse since day one. I'm coming from a Sprint 8330 Curve which I augmented with an HTC touch once in a while to change things up, but the BB was my primary goto phone. At first typing took a little to get used to with the keyboard layout, not so much the size. to this day I keep hitting the orange key when wanting to add a comma and ending with a underscore...lol. here is a list of my likes and dislikes...

Love the Browser, i was sick and tired of the crappy BB and Opera mini browsers on my BB

Like the MP3 player and video player (although i think the that it should be able to swtich from portrait to widescreen modes and widescreen from side to side.)

the touchstone is awesome, i hate messing with plugs

Synergy is awesome

Contacts app rocks (except for gmail, which is probably a gmail issue since it adds contacts independently just because you have a thread going, some of those people i dont want in my phone conatcs list and it happens automatically)

Touch screen is gorgeous (except for the dead pixel) and very responsive

messaging app works well

Dislikes:

Build quality is so so

No search mail function in email app, I used to use this function constantly on my BB and also on my native BB gmail app. The pre needs Google apps

No zoom on camera, atleast that i have found

no video

Super weak Vibration

innability to change notification tones, i want to be able to differentiate detween texts, and emails from different accounts.

low overall speaker volume

lack of a d-pad, i miss the trackball. Navigating on the small screen is sometimes difficult, especially when trying to edit text and you want to place the cursor at the edge of the text input space.

The cut and paste is useless, what good is it to cut and paste your own text, i need to be able to look something up in the browser copy it and paste it wherever.

battery life id horrific, why put bluetooth and wifi in a phone if you can't use either feature. I find it funny when tech support people tell you, you shouldnt use those functions or leave them on.....why are they there then?

thats about it, hopefully some updates will fix some of these issues. I know apps can do a lot but some of these things even the treo 600 could do. Do i miss my BB, some days i do....I'm probably gonna hold onto the Pre but might open a 5th line and get a tour for the hell of it
    I think with some time you are going to get most of the things you don't have now.

If not, the Pre probably won't make it.

Just wait, heck look at what these great guys are doing with 'Homebrew'.

See how hard and fast they've been working.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Just a quick comment about the camera not having a zoom. Almost no camera phones have real, true optical zoom, and its just digital zoom. The zoom on the phone is doing the same thing you can do on your PC or mac or whatever, except when you do it from the phone, you are just capturing less data. A pretty useless feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    Just a quick comment about the camera not having a zoom. Almost no camera phones have real, true optical zoom, and its just digital zoom. The zoom on the phone is doing the same thing you can do on your PC or mac or whatever, except when you do it from the phone, you are just capturing less data. A pretty useless feature.
    very tru...
    Quote Originally Posted by dusty78 View Post
    Build quality is so so

innability to change notification tones, i want to be able to differentiate detween texts, and emails from different accounts.

lack of a d-pad, i miss the trackball. Navigating on the small screen is sometimes difficult, especially when trying to edit text and you want to place the cursor at the edge of the text input space.

The cut and paste is useless, what good is it to cut and paste your own text, i need to be able to look something up in the browser copy it and paste it wherever.
    I love this phone, I really do. My last phone was a Moto Q9C, and Centro before that, and they seem like they're from the Stone Age compared to the Pre. But the issues I quoted, you hit the nail on the head. The lack of some sort of arrow key functionality really makes it tough to navigate. I know you can hit the orange key and then slide around the screen, but it's so imprecise as to be practically worthless. And not being able to copy and paste non-editable text? Who the hell thought that would be a good idea???

And my phone is a bit creaky. Not as bad as some, but it's definitely gotten creakier since the day I bought it (Thursday). I kind of fear how it'll be a week from now. I hate to exchange it, but I will if I have to.

So far, the good outweighs the bad. But I'm giving Palm a lot of leeway with this first-gen attempt. Other customers may not be so forgiving.

Hold the orange key and move your finger on the screen for 'trackball mode'.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    +1, I use it by default now instead of trying to hit the right space with a fat finger. You can move your finger anywhere on the screen, not just over the text you're working on, so it's pretty great. Same with the shift key to select.

What I keep longing for are home/end shortcuts. Like when you type in a long URL and discover something you need to change at the beginning...
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I am trying this I dont see anything how does this work? with what Apps or in what way?
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I think he was referring to your own text. Open up a draft e-mail and fill it with random words. Then press the orange button and swipe around the words. You will see it go up and down - imitating the action of a trackball (but not really).
    Thanks, Yes I wish we had a track pad to better select spots in text and Copy/ Paste from Web browser would be nice.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    i understand that but if im trying to take a pic of something in particular and send it to someone elses phone via MMS, i have to get real close up to it. I'm not looking to snap a work of art just get my point accross. It happened to me the other day, i saw something funny while driving and snapped a pic to send to a friend, it was so far away you couldnt see it unless your on a PC. My BB had upto 5x digital zoom (i think) and it came in handy in those types of situations.
    i understand that but if im trying to take a pic of something in particular and send it to someone elses phone via MMS, i have to get real close up to it. I'm not looking to snap a work of art just get my point accross. It happened to me the other day, i saw something funny while driving and snapped a pic to send to a friend, it was so far away you couldnt see it unless your on a PC. My BB had upto 5x digital zoom (i think) and it came in handy in those types of situations.
    ok, that is true.
    I came from a BB Curve, and while I really overall liked that phone, the web browsing and SMS texting, along with native EAS support, is what sells me on the Pre. I had to exchange my Pre due to faulty battery life (the new one is way better) and as soon as I activated my Palm profile on the new Pre, it began updating automatically my Exchange email, calendar, contacts, and tasks. That is pretty awesome.