Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    After a trip to Sprint today to get my Oreo phone replaced; I was pretty much rejected and told that it was normal (even though their model Pre's were very tight and had been opened and closed over 11,000 times)

I was given two options. First he said I could exchange it for $35 and get a new one. When everyone talks about exchanging their Pre's I haven't heard anyone saying they've had to pay this restocking fee, but maybe it was just implied.

Then, sort of under his breath, he suggested the return and rebuy method. If I were to do that, I have a few questions.I am a 10-day old Sprint customer that had his number ported from U.S. Cellular. What will happen to my phone number if I try to do this? Will I still be able to keep it?

Also, will the primary account holder on our 3-line data share plan change then? I want to be the primary holder so I get the free upgrade after a year with the Premier Account status.

Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    You lose your number...unless you switch it back.

I am still in the process of keeping a SERO account while getting that phone number on my Pre and getting a new number on the SERO account. It is a very tedious process that cell phone makers have so that you don't take advantage of them haha.
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    I had the same issue. I also told them that it would reset on occasion by itself. They replaced it but that started a whole different saga of issues.

I am not here to bash the Pre or Sprint as a whole. There were issues with the brand new replacement and then the 5 reconditioned phones they tried to give me. I now have a brand new replacement that is perfect.

I believe that some wiggle or twist is normal.

I love my Pre and believe that Sprint is as accommodating as should be realistically expected from a phone company.

As a consolation they removed both activation fees from our line AND I ended up with 1 extra battery and 2 extra complete kits (bag, plugs, headphones)

They do a great job and issues are to be expected in a brand new phone model. People (us) need to have more realistic expectations and Sprint needs to recheck their reconditioning program!

In the end. I LOVE MY PRE!!!!!! Sprint ain't so bad either!
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Punisherdude; I hear ya, this phone is amazing. And even if eventually I can't get it replaced, it won't be the end of the world. To me, though; if I'm paying $200 for a phone, and the ~$60/month for the service, I want it to be the best phone possible in the best condition possible. In all of your exchanges and such; were you paying $35 restocking fees every time?

Sub150: How do I go about switching it back? This would be ideal for me as it would reset my 30 days and avoid the fees; but I really don't want to lose my number.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Find a old Sprint phone. Return the Pre and have them activate the beater phone (it doesn't have to be a working phone btw, just a clear ESN). Buy a new Pre. They still get credit as if you were a brand new customer and you start your 30 days over with a fresh Pre. They may give you a bit of grief depending on the store, but from the commissions perspective they don't lose anything, it's just a hassle for the paperwork.

Also if your oreo issue is less than a penny wide don't worry about it.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    Find a old Sprint phone. Return the Pre and have them activate the beater phone (it doesn't have to be a working phone btw, just a clear ESN). Buy a new Pre. They still get credit as if you were a brand new customer and you start your 30 days over with a fresh Pre. They may give you a bit of grief depending on the store, but from the commissions perspective they don't lose anything, it's just a hassle for the paperwork.

Also if your oreo issue is less than a penny wide don't worry about it.
    What do you mean a penny wide? The width of a penny being able to be stuck inbetween the screen and back part? Because if so, my gap is about that thick.

Also, how will it work then with me being on a 3-person share plan for the scenario you suggested. That's definitely the way I should try to go, but I would have to find a Sprint phone since I'm a new customer with no old phones. They won't be able to activate an old U.S. Cellular phone right?
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Bump; any other help would be greatly appreciated.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Anyone; I just want to know if people are paying the $35 restocking fee or not.
    I tried to return mine to go back to my 755p and they said it'd be a $50 fee. On the receipt it said $35 for phones and $50 for PDAs.

So I exchanged it for a new one for no cost (dead pixels). The new one still has defects. Might just take it back and call Sprint to get rid of the $50 fee.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    So if there are defects it should be free?
    Quote Originally Posted by pezdukie View Post
    So if there are defects it should be free?
    yes.

Also, service & repair centers can replace the Pre for free under the 1 year warranty - however if you do this - you might not get your MIR - also you are likely to get a refirb (which will likely be better than a new one hah!) - but ... they are backordered for replacements through repair stores and can take a week or 2 before you get it.

best bet is to get on a waiting list so that when the store gets more in stock, you can exchange new-for-new without any fees or anything like that.
    Reading the forums it sounds like if there's a defect they'd replace it for free. The Oreo effect seems to be a little more tricky since nobody is to say what's normal and what's not.
    Quote Originally Posted by senorfrog97 View Post
    Reading the forums it sounds like if there's a defect they'd replace it for free. The Oreo effect seems to be a little more tricky since nobody is to say what's normal and what's not.
    oreo effect is borderline. If the phone was having the problem when you got it - it should have been returned immediately - if you didnt notice - you need to return it ASAP.

The longer you wait, the less chances you have at getting it exchanged new-for-new - at least until all employees become aware of this issue and replace it regardless.

Just put yourself behind the sprint counter

Customer comes in, has had the phone 3 weeks, but now is complaining that its wobbly. Little/no information about this is available for the rep to know its a defect with the phone, and depending on who you talk to, you might get the cold shoulder (ie they think YOU abused the phone and caused the issue). tell them to google it, read the first 10 results, then replace the phone.
    on my forth pre. they wouldnt in-store exchange, not even return and rebuy. they ended up mailing a refurbished one to my house and told me if that one is bad i will have to bring it in and have another one sent to me by mail. it took 2 business days. lightning fast. my refurbished pre is actually the best one yet. it is the only one with zero dead pixels. it doesnt shut off on snapping it shut. it doesnt twist like an oreo. the power button works fine. there is no gapping, spacing, clicking, rattling, buzzing or any looseness whatsoever.

id recommend getting a refurb. my refurb is 100% defect free, all my other pres had at least one of the above listed defects.
    Quote Originally Posted by lldsandsll View Post
    id recommend getting a refurb. my refurb is 100% defect free, all my other pres had at least one of the above listed defects.

/agree

refirbs often can have certain bug/hardware issues fixed before new ones.

Just think about it..
    New Pres are made in a factory, thousands per day. You bought one, its defective, you exchange it, the new one was from the same batch, its defective as well, you exchange it 50 more times over a 2 week period, all defective, all from the same batch.

Refirb:
    Defective phone sent back, they see a trend in all the different defects that all the pres have. They fix/update each phone individually with different circuitry/parts than the new ones have. Defect free Pre delivered in 2 business days.

This is the same for alot of different phone models, when they are refirbed, some parts inside the phone look a little different than brand new ones. They've found a way to fix the issue, but it was after you bought your phone (and the store probably has the defective models on the shelf and need to sell them before getting the "fixed" versions) - 1 phone stands out.. LG RUMOR
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evilsandwich View Post
    /agree

refirbs often can have certain bug/hardware issues fixed before new ones.

Just think about it..
    New Pres are made in a factory, thousands per day. You bought one, its defective, you exchange it, the new one was from the same batch, its defective as well, you exchange it 50 more times over a 2 week period, all defective, all from the same batch.

Refirb:
    Defective phone sent back, they see a trend in all the different defects that all the pres have. They fix/update each phone individually with different circuitry/parts than the new ones have. Defect free Pre delivered in 2 business days.

This is the same for alot of different phone models, when they are refirbed, some parts inside the phone look a little different than brand new ones. They've found a way to fix the issue, but it was after you bought your phone (and the store probably has the defective models on the shelf and need to sell them before getting the "fixed" versions) - 1 phone stands out.. LG RUMOR
    Quite ironic that I switched from an LG Rumor to the Pre
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    so im like 10 days into my pre, no drops, no scratches. Every once in a while my touchscreen will randomly stop working in certain parts of the screen, and i have to reboot the phone in order to solve the issue, this has happened a good 6 times since i got the phone. At first i thought it was just a small error or something, but it keeps happening, so now i'm concerned its not going to stop.

The phone itself also has a few defects. my volume buttons and the power button don't always work. often times i find myself pressing it 2 or 3 times before it responds. I started comparing it to my dads pre, and found that my buttons aren't as secure. His are tight in their place and give good feedback, where as mine move around and don't have that 'click' to them.

another issue ive noticed is in the housing where the phone meets the keyboard, my fathers is very secure where as mine does not sit right and squeaks whenever i type.

There is also a slight bleed at the bottom left hand of the screen where the light from the screen shows through the gesture area, i also noticed that my center button is a foggy gray and the LED isnt very vibrant, where as my dads is obviously silver and lights up beautifuly. not a BIG deal, but it bugs the hell out of me.

My pre has no oreo, however when the keyboard is revealed the screen appears to be significantly loose and clicks (which is quite annoying), where as my dads pre (which has the oreo effect) only swivels.

i went into sprint today and told them id like the exchange my phone, when they asked me why, i explained to the rep that i had paid 350$ for this thing, i bought the most expensive phone they had. I wasnt happy with my particular device and i wanted one that was more secure. I then went on to explain to the rep about all of the problems i was having and the defects the phone had. The rep took a look at my phone, and basically told me that i cant exchange the phone because it didn't have any defects, everything i described was cosmetic. When i brought up my touchscreen and button response issues again, she took another look at my phone and told me everything was working fine for her as she handed the phone back to me.

I didnt feel like fighting with the rep, so i left the store angry. Figured id try a different store tomorrow.

Am i in the wrong here? when does a problem with the phone become 'cosmetic' and not a 'defect'? I feel cheated.

I feel like i should be able to trade my phone in for any phone i want within the first 30 days no questions asked.

I don't feel like a restocking fee should apply to me either, but maybe it should.

any thoughts?
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Since people in this post have obviously exchanged their phone I will post my question here. If I exchange my phone (proximity sensor stopped working) will all of my pics, wallpaper, music, settings, etc. get restored when they port my backup to the new phone? Thanks in advance for your help.