1.    #1  
    Well, I finally got back to my Sprint Corporate store today. I've had my Pre since 6/23 and it is one of the ones with a terribly (And I mean BAD) loose slider. Four days after getting the pre I went back to Sprint and tried to exchange it, but the 6 pres we tried in store had worse sliders than my original device, so the Sprint rep told me to come back in a few weeks.

Today, I went back and was told "We have pres, just none for exchange." When I asked why, the rep told me that the exchange pres are ones that people have returned. I think my eyes about popped outta my head. So, I said "You can't give someone somebody else's defective phone on an exchange." And the rep told me that "Not everyone notices the same things."

What!?!?

So, we get the manager, who looks at my pre and says "Wow. THAT is really loose." He proceeds to tell me that they do have new pres in the back but that I cannot have one. They are reserved for the 100 people on the waiting list. He, instead, offers to order me a new pre. But now, I feel really concerned -- are they going to really give me a NEW one?! Or are they going to try to pass off somebody else's returned pre!?

The manager told me it will take up to two weeks for me to get the exchange phone. So, I expressed concern about getting the same kind of build issue or other build issues with the new phone and that I would be, then, out of my 30 day return period. He assured me that they would honor my return period... but get this: NOT if I want to revert to my old phones and my old maturity date.

In other words, they'll make it impossible for me to cancel with Sprint without paying the ETF.

I was very nice and friendly with the Sprint reps. But I left the store feeling really steamed. Any advice on what to do from here?

I honestly feel that if I cannot get a good Pre then I want to cancel with Sprint. They have no phones that are comparable to the pre. But I don't want a phone with the build problems I have with this pre. The slider is so bad, that I can't get to the power button AT ALL anymore without pressing the sides all together and holding it tightly so I can access the power button.

This is so frustrating. It shouldn't be this much NOT fun.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Call customer service and tell them you want to cancel. They'll transfer you to customer retention (they use some other name). Explain your situation to them and hopefully they will help.
    I agree, except that I would have told the store manager "I need to cancel now, while I'm in my 30 day extension, maybe if I don't get another phone, when you have some in stock that you're willing to sell me, I'll be back. What was your name again, so I can be sure to give it correctly when I fill out the survey..."
    Hmm this doesn't surprise me and could explain why every phone I looked at the Sprint store seemed defective when I had to exchange a Pre ;p. I ended up going with a Pre that has light bleeding but no dead/fixed pixels and only a minor twist/wobble. However, I am getting a number of dropped calls when I have 4-5 bars so I am wondering if the antennae in the phone is defective.
    Don't take this from them. Just say you want to return the phone and you'll either buy a new one from this store or another. Additionally, if you return your phone and buy a new one, instead of simply exchanging, you reset the 30 day period.
    Quote Originally Posted by sixerztres View Post
    Don't take this from them. Just say you want to return the phone and you'll either buy a new one from this store or another. Additionally, if you return your phone and buy a new one, instead of simply exchanging, you reset the 30 day period.
    same thing happened to me, only I had to have a friend call to find out that they are not exchanging units inorder to sell new lines. I just canceled on the 29th day when they again refused me an exchange. I went to the mall across the street and got a new one. This one seems to have no real problems!!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    .....Today, I went back and was told "We have pres, just none for exchange." When I asked why, the rep told me that the exchange pres are ones that people have returned. I think my eyes about popped outta my head. So, I said "You can't give someone somebody else's defective phone on an exchange." And the rep told me that "Not everyone notices the same things."

What!?!?...........

That salesperson is outa his mind. Used/returned units are NEVER given as replacements. It has to do with how the stores track serial numbers and how the stores are paid, the store simply would not get paid by giving you a used serial number as a replacement for a new serial number in the 30 day period.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    That salesperson is outa his mind. Used/returned units are NEVER given as replacements. It has to do with how the stores track serial numbers and how the stores are paid, the store simply would not get paid by giving you a used serial number as a replacement for a new serial number in the 30 day period.
    The whole thing seems pretty inky to me. I don't know what to think/believe anymore about the way these pres are being dealt out. By the way... the manager told me the same thing. So, he verified what his rep said. "The exchange pres are returns/refurbs." So I said "there are no refurb pres yet" and he just raised his eyebrows and shrugged his shoulders.

I'm seriously starting to lose faith here. And then there was at least one verified report of a customer getting a returned pre (sold as new) from Radio Shack. Had someone else's data and music on it or some such.

This whole situation has me completely upset. I love the pre... it is a great device. But all of these issues are making me second guess my decision to stick with it. I looked at the 3GS today, really because we happened to be in the mall and pass the Apple store on the way in/out. But that phone, while pretty, is kinda clunky compared to the pre. I HATE the onscreen keyboard.

Blackberry Tour? I dunno. Starting to lose hope of getting a pre I can feel confident about keeping for two years.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    My first pre had a good slider but a friend's has the Oreo effect. I went to Best Buy this weekend to get a new one and they checked six phones before finding one with a tight slider. So, it's prevalent. I would have probably not noticed except the fact that my first one did not oreo at all.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    This is why I bought at Best Buy, I exchanged my wife's Pre today. Was in and out of the store in 10 minutes with a new Pre for her.
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhyde View Post
    This is why I bought at Best Buy, I exchanged my wife's Pre today. Was in and out of the store in 10 minutes with a new Pre for her.
    I've heard that the Best Buy in this area has had major issues with getting pres in stock. Not sure it would have made much difference.